smoking !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would echo all the advice about not planning to stop - just do it! It's over 30 years ago that I thought one evening, 'Why am I smoking?' I stubbed out my cigarette, threw the remaining fags in the bin, and that was that. I have zero willpower, but after a couple of weeks I went and bought a nice hi-fi on the never-never for the same cost as my smoking habit. Every time I was tempted by cigarettes, I thought of my hi-fi, and realised that I could not afford both of them.

Never ever have one after you have given up - you'll probably be straight back to the vile habit. Right from Day 1 you are an ex-smoker, and it must stay that way. Do not use any gums, because it is all too easy to still be buying the gum years later - I have a pal who is now addicted to Nicorette gum. You need to just go cold turkey on the nicotine addiction. By all means use people for support, but for me the patches and pills do not represent the best route to take. You do need to be strong for a fairly short time to beat the addiction, but I reckon it's the best way to beat the disgusting habit.

Good luck, by the way.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^^^^^ Staggered to find out just how much 20 cost nowadays, having given up 20 years ago. Around £7? Twenty a day = £49 week = £2548 year = really, really, really nice bike :thumbsup:. Stop NOW.

Ern1e

Über Member
Well i am nearing the end of my duty free baccy courtesy the canary islands last september.
I have read few posts after you guys have quit
couple of questions
what did you use to quit (if anything)?
How did you find your cycling stamina?
Finally well done if you stayed smoke free !!!!
I rang the NHS quit line they put me on the Shampix pills (ok don't all shout at me !) they worked for me, ok they have problems only one I had was the totaly wierd dreams lol. On the cycling over the last few months noticed a vast improvment hills are not such a problem now I have better breathing etc, all I can say is ring them up they have more tools in the box and they sure as helped me stop after 42 years best of luck in which ever way you decied to go.
Ernie

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had a very emotional night last night when my neighbour and best friend went through the same traumatic birth scenario that my wife and I did. We got horribly drunk by accident and when a friend popped by we skanked some of his tobacco. I haven't been a habitual smoker for years, and this morning I felt BAD. I am agog that I used to smoke. And while I was vomiting this morning with a sore throat from smoking just one rollie I felt like the stupidist man on earth.

But will I smoke again? Probably. Addiction is crazy, but I learned years ago that if I give myself too much of a bad time for smoking I'll cave, give up and smoke all the time. I'll always be a smoker but one or two a year is better than thirty a day. One day I know I'll look back and realise I haven't smoked for a decade.

And did smoking help the emotional trauma? Of course it ducking didn't.

Peteaud

Veteran
I had a very emotional night last night when my neighbour and best friend went through the same traumatic birth scenario that my wife and I did. We got horribly drunk by accident and when a friend popped by we skanked some of his tobacco. I haven't been a habitual smoker for years, and this morning I felt BAD. I am agog that I used to smoke. And while I was vomiting this morning with a sore throat from smoking just one rollie I felt like the stupidist man on earth.

But will I smoke again? Probably. Addiction is crazy, but I learned years ago that if I give myself too much of a bad time for smoking I'll cave, give up and smoke all the time. I'll always be a smoker but one or two a year is better than thirty a day. One day I know I'll look back and realise I haven't smoked for a decade.

And did smoking help the emotional trauma? Of course it ducking didn't.

I know that if i had just one i would be back on them again, and there is no way i am going to do that after over a year as a non smoker.

I always used to have a few cigars over xmas and did miss them this year, but again its a no no.

I actualy find the smell offensive now and really dont like people walking past me in the street smoking.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I know that if i had just one i would be back on them again, and there is no way i am going to do that after over a year as a non smoker.

I always used to have a few cigars over xmas and did miss them this year, but again its a no no.

I actualy find the smell offensive now and really dont like people walking past me in the street smoking.

We had a cigar first and I was so desperate to smoke that I was trying to take it down :x

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
then you cough up a lung and think - this is not a good idea

Then wake up the next morning knowing it's not a good idea.

Ern1e

Über Member
I actualy find the smell offensive now and really dont like people walking past me in the street smoking.[/quote]
I could not agree more just thinking I used to smell like that is enough to change my mind should I feel like having a smoke ! I spoke with a good mate of mine who stopped about 4/5 years ago and he had to admit that at times he still gets the urge to smoke so you just have to keep your guard up :excl:

Ern1e

Über Member
what i want to know is where is all the money I am saving by not smoking , actually going. I am constantly skint !
Try doing what I am I put the cash in one of those bank piggy bank things i have then got to take into the bank to get at it (goe's into a savings acc) only problem I only smoked about £9/10 a week but at the end of the year it should be enough for a nice shiny new bike :hyper:

OP
OP
mark1974

mark1974

ok quick update
Said i would have my last smoke sunday and that i did around dinner time
However i opted out of patches and went for the e-cig
Not as bad as i thought craving when i wake up after meals etc
will update in couple of days

cheers

Top Bottom