smoking !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Myers

Just used will power and the gym/cycling,nearly 6 months smoke free,feel much better for it,good luck :-)

I stopped last February, initially using patches and then NiQuitin mini mints. I had tried Zyban previously, but it did not work for me (it is well known that it does not work for everyone). I would not recommend electronic cigarettes as they do not break the habit, which is half of the battle. If you have willpower then cold turkey would be best, I have no willpower though. Giving up pushed me to buy my first road bike, and I love it. Feel so much fitter, if a bit fatter.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
This subject has come up before.
Stopped a year ago last Sunday. Was on 20 plus rollups a day for over 20 years.
Just stopped, no patches no nothing, reading "The Easy way to stop smoking" by Allan Carr (yes i know i am repeating myself) helped me. Best fiver i ever spent. I DONT MISS THE FAGS.
Started cycling again in March and never felt better.
Do it, if you want to stop you will.
Link to a previous thread of Peteauds http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/diary-of-a-smoker.92703/

Psyclist

Über Member
What did you use to quit (if anything)?

Nothing, I just started cutting down on roll ups each month - 10 in January to 1 in October. Worked quite well, but then I went cold turkey in November.

How did you find your cycling stamina?

Very much improved, could breath much better, sprint without vomiting. Overall, I felt much better.

Finally well done if you stayed smoke free !!!!

Kind of failed there :shy: Bit of a crisis happened in life which caused me to smoke, so now I'm back to square one. On 10 roll ups for now, then going down to 9 in February. Might speed up the process this time though.

compo

Veteran
Champix got me off the fags after years of trying. Now coming up for 5 years smoke free. It is nice to not smell. When someone gets on a bus who has been smoking you can smell that person the length of the bus. I sit there all smug and think to myself "I used to smell like that".

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
gave up trying to give up years ago... I'd manage anything from 3 days to 3 weeks every couple of months and just convinced myself i couldn't do it (the nature of addiction there!).

A couple of guys i work with gave up last year, and although they still have 'the odd one', they haven't gone back to regular smoking.

That's maybe my problem, I quit, then have 'the odd one' and instantly convince myself I've failed and I'm a smoker again, so go straight back to 'regular smoking' unlike my wiser colleagues.

Of course they haven't properly quit, but cutting down from 20 a day to 20 a year is better than nothing.

So my advice, if you do crumble and have the odd one... you are not a smoker again! you just fell off the metaphorical bike so get back on it ASAP.

Best if luck fellow pedaller :thumbsup:

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
13 weeks last Saturday.Did the Alan Carr 1 day course,working for me.I was on 1 ounce of rolling baccy a day,60+ fags.I do miss it but I am sticking in there.
Just starting to notice the fitness level,I can still breath after 15 miles.
Well done to all that have stopped,it is the hardest habbit to kick.

inkd

Good luck on giving up. I have gone down the "im cutting down" route. I hav`nt smoked at home for ages now and leave my baccy at work. TBH i think its just habit as mentioned above "feeding the rat". I have started to miss out the after work smoke so now on 4 a day (5 days pw).
I have only started commuting for just less than 3 weeks so i will probs be trying again to give it up soon.

sabian92

Über Member
Surely the best way to stop smoking it never to start. ;)

I've not smoked (apart from once when I was hammered) but either way, think of giving up as more time with your loved ones. Can't be a better motivator than that, surely?

Top Bottom