So am I the only American here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
[quote="
One thing I've been trying to figure out though.... we call them sweaters you call them jumpers but we refer to jumpers as a sleaveless type of uniform looking dress (usually worn by young girls) so what do you refer to as we know as a jumper?[/quote]

A wooly jumper is a welsh sheep.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
@Spinney
"The county of Yorkshire was so named as it is the Shire (administrative area or county) of the City of York."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire

Its not just Wales, try mytholmroyd, Sowerby Bridge & lets not forget slaithwaite.
Remember Yorkshire, the only County to have a recognised National Anthem(translated & sung in over 100 languages, English included. And it remains the only County mentioned in the Bible!!
What's the bible? Is that the latest best seller?

theloafer

Legendary Member
If I do go, I'll just refrain from speaking any place names and use my phone for GPS and hope the roads are really where they say they are

also keep away from Scotland ...:laugh: :welcome: aboard
STA70204.jpg

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
My grandmother was told a different surname until she was 18 then they told her she had a different father and his last name was Daly. Don't know if any of it is true, she was always secretive about her heritage. In her pictures as a young adult she looks Jewish to me.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
[quote="
One thing I've been trying to figure out though.... we call them sweaters you call them jumpers but we refer to jumpers as a sleaveless type of uniform looking dress (usually worn by young girls) so what do you refer to as we know as a jumper?

A wooly jumper is a welsh sheep.[/quote]
I believe the sweater is called a sweater, and a jumper a jumper. A sweater is seen as a woven overgarment normally worn with a shirt, and the sleeveless uniform dress is a jumper. I am in the middle west, in Illinois, (part of the old British Northwest Territories in the States)and the language and usages vary quite a bit between here and the South or the West.

classic33

Leg End Member
My grandmother was told a different surname until she was 18 then they told her she had a different father and his last name was Daly. Don't know if any of it is true, she was always secretive about her heritage. In her pictures as a young adult she looks Jewish to me.
Daly - Dawley Ó Dálaigh (dálach, from dáil, assembly). One of the greatest names in Irish literature. Originally West Meath, but sub-septs in several different localities as Map.

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Top-100-Irish-last-names-explained-103125099.html#ixzz2f54hZdJc
Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Daleys, Mayors of Chicago, as well.
Hizzoner.
Very colorful characters.
Lend a lot to Illinois Politics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_J._Daley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_M._Daley

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi....I'm new here too....not American but married to one, does that count?
Am I an honorary American? :laugh:

My husband was born in NC but ended up in Georgia before he joined the Marines and moved around again!
We got married in New York and we live in bonnie Scotland!

Welcome to the forum :smile:

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Mostly though that article is referring to mobile/manufactured homes even though they do have pix of rv's ( caravans) mostly old ones. The stigma is fairly true however there are mobile homes that can be more expensive than a house and there are rv's like diesel pushers that can cost $100,000 or more depending on options.

Doug.

Veteran
I came across this forum by accident and decided to join simply because I have never laughed so much from reading posts in any forum EVER. Especially not cycling forums..... boring, droll, everyone takes everything personally like you are insulting them if you ask them politely why they prefer to wear florescent yellow over flaming pink.
Almost makes me want to hop on a plane with my bike and jump over to London just experience the craziness. Almost.
Except after reading some of the posts, I'm not sure what a pavement is (other then the obvious being a slury of hardened asphalt and cement) and that I shouldn't ride on it. Or that your rights are our lefts and those freaking things you call roundabouts scare the ........ out of me..... and BUS LANES? Holy mother of God why the heck would anyone want to fight with a BUS? Car drivers are bad enough and you want to play chicken with BUSES!!!!
Not entirely sure if this is a UK only forum or if us boring Americans are welcome here but I guess it's not really that important; I don't have to post as long as I can read the threads and laugh my um.... how do you say it..... arse off!

Bonjour.
You are very modest,a warm welcome (from a cold country) to all cyclists.
Especially your estemed good self.
Yours
Doug. Henri.
Border collies !! my favourite dogs.

Top Bottom