So am I the only American here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
To clarify:biggrin:;
Both of the valves are toast because (I believe) 110 psi is too much for these cheap tubes.
Last night I filled them without any problems. This morning both valves broke thereby letting all the air out. If they were broken last night they wouldn't have held the air for the 9 or so hours that it took for the pressure to finally do the valves in. When I checked the valves this morning, the little spinning "valve lock thingy" on both, after the air had released, were completely loose and the plunger valve thingy inside was very loose unlike last night. When I attached the pump head it locked fine but didn't fill the tires with air as the air never made it into the tire because the valves are broken. :tongue:
I'm now getting confused. Assuming you'd screwed the valve tight again after pumping the tyre up, it can't move or become loose. The higher the pressure in the tube, the more firmly it's held tight in the sealed position. (Tubes themselves are not built to withstand high pressures - that's the job of the tyre, to hold it in place.)

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Normally, 110 PSI should be rather standard for tubes with presta valves, but you may need better tubes.
That's what I mean, they came with the bike and the bike was cheap so I'm sure the tubes are cheap ones too

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
I'm now getting confused. Assuming you'd screwed the valve tight again after pumping the tyre up, it can't move or become loose. The higher the pressure in the tube, the more firmly it's held tight in the sealed position. (Tubes themselves are not built to withstand high pressures - that's the job of the tyre, to hold it in place.)
well you can pump tubes up without the tire and keep going until they break (like a balloon) which would be much more air but not necessarily more pressure (some yes) but the pressure comes from pushing on the tire.
But that's why I'm saying the tubes must have been really cheap and the valves are crap because I did tighten them back down and they were fine last night, other then the front one always being a little squirrely but still seemed to hold air (about 1 month) and before I bought the pump I took it to the LBS to fill the front and they didn't say anything about the valve having an issue. And then this morning when I was still in bed I heard a loud psssssssshhhhhh sound and thought at first it was the valve to the propane for my stove so I went out to the living space and my cat was on the floor staring wildly at the tire on the bike so I felt the tire and low and behold it's flat so I checked the valve and the metal lock nut thingy was completely loose and the plunger inside moves all over. Then about 1 1/2 or so hours later the back one did the same thing.

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Do your valves have removable cores? If so, they may have come loose and screwing them up tight again would fix your problem.
I have no idea but I'd hazard a guess and say very unlikely. I would assume a removable core type would make the tube more expensive since you would be able to replace the valve if it were faulty (and typically I find that things like that tend to cost more, you know, for the technology...lol).

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
worked a bit trying to get the tires off.... ha ha ha what a f'ing joke those plastic POS are.
going to have to use a screwdriver, I suppose if I put something padded between the screwdriver and the rim I won't damage the rim

Linford

When I last went to Orlando, I got chatting to the night shift guy on reception as I was attempting to keep to GMT (ish as I really struggled with jet lag), and he said that he had moved from the north east area as there was just no work there. OK, night shift on a hotel desk isn't the best in the world, but it was regular work, and the climate was a whole lot better :smile:

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
When I last went to Orlando, I got chatting to the night shift guy on reception as I was attempting to keep to GMT (ish as I really struggled with jet lag), and he said that he had moved from the north east area as there was just no work there. OK, night shift on a hotel desk isn't the best in the world, but it was regular work, and the climate was a whole lot better :smile:

Can't say anything about the northeast but when I was in FL 4 years ago there wasn't anything there either. I have been seriously contemplating selling everything just so I can leave but it's really sad when you have to sell the camper you live in because you can't afford the gas to drive it somewhere else.

Well I went to the LBS and bought a set of tubes and a better set of tire levers as the other ones were too weak to get these tires off. Have replaced the front now but I thought I'd wait til tomorrow to do the back one. I probably shouldn't have spent the money but hell if it comes down to it I can ride the bike instead of wasting gas. Downside though is going into a potential employer sweaty and stinky......

And of course one of my dogs decided one of my new tire levers looked good enough to eat........ can't ever have anything nice I guess

Attachments

• tire levers.jpg
    tire levers.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Guess I never thought about it before but is all of the UK in the same time zone?
Depends, i am on nights so technically i am in a different time zone as i go to bed around 8 am , it sucks !
welcome to CC BTW^_^
I had some inner tubes where the head screwed into the top of the valve and sometimes air used to leak slowly out, the only way i found out was i sprayed some water onto the valve and i could see slow bubbling so a quick tighten with some pliers sorted them out .
Ay up sounds like the rest of my family are getting up so ttfn .

Top Bottom