So am I the only American here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well mother f**ker there goes the other tire. So either the gauge on my very expensive pump is wrong or the 110 psi rating on my cheap Kenda tires is wrong. It does say MAX 110 but I filled them to 110 and then let a bit of air out.
Never once did I have any problems with the schrader tires on my old bike. Only had to fill them if I fixed a puncture which was one time in the 6000 miles I rode that bike and the one time I bought new tires.
if this is how it's gonna be I want new wheels with shrader valves. It's hard enough talking myself into riding so when I do it better be ready to ride!!!!
Can you get the tubes out and give them a very gentle pumping, to say 10psi, to see where the problem is?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Deopham = Dee-Fam
:thumbsup:
Ah, so it's not like the Meopham in Kent, which is pronounced ''Mepp'em.''

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Can you get the tubes out and give them a very gentle pumping, to say 10psi, to see where the problem is?
I could...... but golly that's a lot of work and I hate these tires they are very hard to take off and put back on again my tire lever is weak plastic. My other bike I used a screwdriver to take the tires off. If I did that with these rims I'd probably break them they look like plastic.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I could...... but golly that's a lot of work and I hate these tires they are very hard to take off and put back on again my tire lever is weak plastic. My other bike I used a screwdriver to take the tires off. If I did that with these rims I'd probably break them they look like plastic.
I appreciate that it can be hard work but it's difficult to tell where the problem is from over here. Besides, you're going to have to fit a new tube anyway.... It could be the valves, dodgy or damaged tubes or something sharp lodged inside the tube, amongst other things.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The valves are toasted marshmallows
A lot of us will have damaged Presta valves in the past. Things to make sure of - that the pump head goes on straight, that the pump head comes off straight. If it's a track pump, this should be fairly easy, but if it's a hand pump where the pump head is directly attached to the pump, you have to be very careful not to change the angle - it can twist the sticky-up bit* to the point that it breaks. This gets harder as the tyre pressure goes up.

*Sorry about the technical terminology.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I f I ever manage to make it over there I'll just have to remember not to pronounce all syllables and all consonants only about half it's the "which half" that's the hard part
If you think those examples are bad, don't ever, ever think of going to Wales!
27-08-8.jpg

upload_2013-9-11_17-18-19.png

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
A lot of us will have damaged Presta valves in the past. Things to make sure of - that the pump head goes on straight, that the pump head comes off straight. If it's a track pump, this should be fairly easy, but if it's a hand pump where the pump head is directly attached to the pump, you have to be very careful not to change the angle - it can twist the sticky-up bit* to the point that it breaks. This gets harder as the tyre pressure goes up.

*Sorry about the technical terminology.

I have an expensive (above average) floor pump that I bought 2 months ago. The pump head goes on just fine, locks and everything. I just think I put too much air in. The tires say 110 psi MAX. These tubes that came with the bike are probably really cheap tubes I can't attest to the quality at all they were probably $2 tubes instead of the $8 norm.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have an expensive (above average) floor pump that I bought 2 months ago. The pump head goes on just fine, locks and everything. I just think I put too much air in. The tires say 110 psi MAX. These tubes that came with the bike are probably really cheap tubes I can't attest to the quality at all they were probably $2 tubes instead of the $8 norm.
Didn't you just tell me that the valve, of at least one of them, was no longer working?

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Didn't you just tell me that the valve, of at least one of them, was no longer working?
To clarify:biggrin:;
Both of the valves are toast because (I believe) 110 psi is too much for these cheap tubes.
Last night I filled them without any problems. This morning both valves broke thereby letting all the air out. If they were broken last night they wouldn't have held the air for the 9 or so hours that it took for the pressure to finally do the valves in. When I checked the valves this morning, the little spinning "valve lock thingy" on both, after the air had released, were completely loose and the plunger valve thingy inside was very loose unlike last night. When I attached the pump head it locked fine but didn't fill the tires with air as the air never made it into the tire because the valves are broken. :tongue:

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
I'm feeling extremely discouraged today.... feels like everything is falling apart at the worst time possible. Broken refrigerator, broken bicycle tires, $180 to my name with a $30 overdrawn bank account. My lot rent for my RV is overdue, my shed payment is overdue, my insurance is due in a few weeks. I've been filling out applications on and off (I say this because it seems as though the jobs I qualify for typically come ind go in phases around here) for 7 years now (4 years in this area) and haven't gotten anything in all that time. This last job I had was with a landscape contractor that was also a (boy)friend and I really didn't make hardly anything since it was by the job. But, he is sick and can no longer work so he's gone back home to his wife (she's a b***h so she deserves that....lol).
Most of the jobs are down in Anderson which is 1/4 tank of gas (round trip) so I'm apprehensive about wasting the gas driving down there when I have no idea if I will be hired. There are a few places currently hiring closer to home now but with my past experience over the last few years it makes me feel incredibly anxious.

Top Bottom