So am I the only American here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
So what are the biscuits of which you speak, that some people put gravy on?

NOT this kind of thing, I assume?
15471684-a-culinary-background-of-assorted-crunchy-fresh-biscuits-for-teatime-or-dessert.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'd love to go to Oregon/Washington state sometime - but for the volcanoes, not the cycling!

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown

15471684-a-culinary-background-of-assorted-crunchy-fresh-biscuits-for-teatime-or-dessert.jpg
We call those either cookies or shortbread.
Here biscuits are more like fluffy bread rolls without yeast.... very easy and cheap to make. They are typically salty but I've made them sweet before to put fresh fruit on.

Those volcanoes are all dormant now, I've seen them.... was in Washington last time Mt St Helens blew.... if you wanna see a live one you got to go to Hilo Hawaii

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Anyhow, back to autumnal knitwear. A cardigan is typically button-up at the front, usually long sleeved and quite often V-necked. I tend to use pullover, jumper and sweater as pretty much interchangeable except when it's really chilly, when I wear them on top of each other. Cyclists are hardy people who wear jerseys instead, but a jersey can be a pullover, jumper or sweater. A bit like a guernsey though cyclists rarely wear these.

Oh, by the way, vests are now called baselayers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

American biscuits are made of a soft dough, the gravy is made from fat dripping, flour, milk, sausage or bacon bits and black pepper.
I love it for brekkie

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Yeah I have a summer jersey I used to wear (doesn't currently fit me). I'm more of a polar fleece kinda person not much into sweaters/jumpers or cardigans. When it gets cold I like to layer. When I was commu-cycling in Columbus Ohio during the winters I found a Tshirt- under a polarfleece with a medium duty (waterproof) coat did me just fine sometimes would even sweat if I was late for work and going hard..... even in single digit (F) temps..... as long as I kept moving!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Like scones?

Yes, similar.

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Like scones?
Not quite..... those are a little drier and harder then biscuits.....
here's a recipe if you wanna try typical southern biscuits
I willntry to do this in ounces since I know ourlefts units of measurements are different (and just so you know I don't make them this way)

16 ounces bleached white flour
approx. 4 ounces cold shortening, lard or other hydrogenated vegetable oil
1-2 ounces ice cold water, milk or buttermilk
3 pinches of salt
2 ounces baking powder
1-2 ounces of bacon fat drippings

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a medium bowl
cut in shortening at first lightly until somewhat mixed then cut into pea sized balls
add milk/water cut in until mixed
add bacon drippings

At this point you will have a very light and soft dough... handle carefully do not overwork
roll dough out ONCE only about uh 2 centimeters? Thick.... one inch.
using a round cutter (cup, jar cookie cutter, doesn't matter)
cut out circles from dough......
disgard left over dough
places circles on cookie sheet or cake pan crowded together so sides are touching bake ummm oh crap you have to figure this one out 375 F oven for 5-8 minutes..... they should be lightly golden on top ONLY.... do not over bake
serve immediately still warm from oven is best with butter or..... god forbid gravy

OP
OP
somewhere in america

somewhere in america

member of the unknown
Apparently my grandmother (on my mothers side) was told she was Irish but my aunt has been working on our familys' geneology and she says she can't find any Irish just German, Native American Indian and possibly English.
on my fathers side, his mother is Lebonese and his father is 1/2 Welsh, then German and native american indian, and a little Pennsilvania Dutch which is basically German too.
I think my family on my moms side all look very English.... tall, thin, willowy, square jaw, fair skin, thin brown hair.
I'm the odd one of both sides as I am the shortest by A LOT! blonde wavy hair and I can tan fairly dark just can't keep it for long unless I live in the sun! I have freckles but they fade if I tan and the more time I spend in the sun the lighter my hair gets until it's nearly white/platinum. I build muscle easily and fast especially for a woman but even if I were a man it's impressive. I've been told I look scandinavian when I am at my best. I've also been told by many that I seem very European in demeanor/attitude. Once someone even went as far as to say I seemed very French..... I have no idea what that means as I can honestly say I've never met a French woman before.

Top Bottom