So cycling indoors in warmth and comfort is the same as cycling outdoors ?

Venod

Eh up
On the odd occasion I have used the exercise bike I just can't get over the tedium, boredom of sitting there pedalling and going nowhere, seeing nothing but the wall in front of me and quite frankly after half an hour I have more than had enough.
This was exactly my position pre 2015, but an accident in that year, prompted the purchase of a smart trainer in 2016 with the hope of getting fit again, its been a revelation, I have done up 3 hours on it, when as you say half an hour was torture previously, it did help me gain fitness as I would have had difficulty riding outdoors at first.
It's no substitute for an outdoor ride, but its a good alternative when the weathers bad, or if you don't enjoy riding in the dark.
I ride all over the world in the garage using real life videos or GPS files I ride with a large screen in front of me, I have done Zwift rides, its not my favourite, but is highly popular with turbo uses.
To relive bum numbness from sitting in one position, I have built a rocker plate, that helps a lot.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
they start at home and end at home.
So on average there’s not even any climbing. At least on a turbo you can simulate an all uphill ride :whistle:

Chislenko

This was exactly my position pre 2015, but an accident in that year, prompted the purchase of a smart trainer in 2016 with the hope of getting fit again, its been a revelation, I have done up 3 hours on it, when as you say half an hour was torture previously, it did help me gain fitness as I would have had difficulty riding outdoors at first.
It's no substitute for an outdoor ride, but its a good alternative when the weathers bad, or if you don't enjoy riding in the dark.
I ride all over the world in the garage using real life videos or GPS files I ride with a large screen in front of me, I have done Zwift rides, its not my favourite, but is highly popular with turbo uses.
To relive bum numbness from sitting in one position, I have built a rocker plate, that helps a lot.
Yes fair play to anybody that can do it.

I would never knock anybody for indoor cycling, it is just not me.

I would go as far to say that I have a great deal of admiration for people who can deal with the boredom of it and resist the temptation to just stop pedalling, go in the house and have a coffee or whatever!

If you stand on a treadmill and it starts up, you get moved backwards maybe a metre or two and deposited on the floor. So someone running at 8mph for an hour on a treadmill could say that they prevented themselves from moving 8 miles backwards, so some kind of negative credit of Cartesian displacement. Doesn't really trip off the tongue though, and as a bicycle is always locked onto the trainer the same doesn't really apply.

Any kind of stationary indoor cycling is like having sex with a blowup doll - no matter what fancy features the manufacturers add to make things more realistic, it's still a spiritually empty experience.
(sorry, I've been away, freezing to death, just caught up with this: )
What a beautiful post.

I shall strive (perhaps in vain) to find use for the phrase "some kind of negative credit of Cartesian displacement"

Top Bottom