So cycling indoors in warmth and comfort is the same as cycling outdoors ?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Turbo training is gym excercise not cycling. Only actual riding on real surfaces is cycling. Claiming turbo time as cycling miles is cheating.
Show me where it's written down.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
Show me where it's written down.
You show me how many hours you can get from say, London to Brighton in, whilst riding your turbo trainer. I mean actually physically transporting yourself from one place to the other. You can spin the turbo from now until eternity and you still won't have left your garage. Turbo training is not, and never will be, real cycling.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You show me how many hours you can get from say, London to Brighton in, whilst riding your turbo trainer. I mean actually physically transporting yourself from one place to the other. You can spin the turbo from now until eternity and you still won't have left your garage. Turbo training is not, and never will be, real cycling.
I don't spin or any other kind of indoor pedalling but you said it was cheating so I asked to see the rules. You do seem to have a lot of them.

cougie uk

Über Member
We've got a Pelton bike coming in 10 days time, so am not anti-indoor cycling, but this was the 'view' on my morning ride today at 7am. No indoor setup can come close to delivering the smile inducing feeling you get when powering you way across the beautiful British countryside on a pedal bike. I love it.

View attachment 586798
What if you live in a big city ? Or it's dark when you finish work ?

Indoor cycling is great for generating endorphins. If it's that or sitting on the sofa I'm all for indoors. The fitter you are the more you'll enjoy outdoor rides.

shnjmsn

Über Member
Each to their own, different people have different reasons to cycle inside, it doesn't worry me.......... For me cycling isn't about racking up the miles, being the fittest, fastest, K of the M........ Cycling for me is the adventure............ seeing different places, meeting people, fresh air and exercise..........

Though on the odd occasion like today riding up a mountain in mid Wales with sideways hailstones in the face and 70mph winds I almost........almost thought it might be nice to ride indoors......... But then again...............

In weather like today, when I'm cold, getting blown about, I can't feel my fingers or toes or barely see the road for the rain in my eyes......... I feel alive, more alive than at any other time..............

Die with memories, not dreams as they say 🥰

Venod

Eh up
Well today I climbed, The Madone, 8 mile of uphill and 8 mile down.

Then I did a steady warm down over the Golden Gate bridge, I would have found it difficult to complete these two this morning.

And I will include them in my yearly total cycled, and if you don't approve all I can say is, get over it.

Last edited:

classic33

Legendary Member
Real cycling is outside, whatever the weather. Not deciding to take the car because it's colder than you like, then moaning about the traffic being slow.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And it doesn’t matter how many times you go round a velodrome you will never actually get anywhere, so it’s not cycling. It’s cheating.
Come to think of it hardly any of my outdoor rides go anywhere. Being a recreational rather than utility or touring cyclist most of the time they start at home and end at home.

So guess that's cheating too. ;)

Chislenko

I don't have a turbo trainer!

I am 99% an outdoor rider, probably only snow or ice would entice me indoors.

I do have an old exercise bike and very occasionally use it. Most of the time though if the weather is not safe for cycling I will go for a jog / run / shuffle, call it what you will.

On the odd occasion I have used the exercise bike I just can't get over the tedium, boredom of sitting there pedalling and going nowhere, seeing nothing but the wall in front of me and quite frankly after half an hour I have more than had enough.

The only advantage I can see to cycling in the garage is that I can have a smoke whilst I'm doing it!

Top Bottom