So cycling indoors in warmth and comfort is the same as cycling outdoors ?

Specialeyes

Veteran
Would you pay full price for a new motorbike with 50,000 miles on the clock if you were told they were all done on a rolling road with realistic resistance, but indoors so they don't really count? ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Whilst cycling outdoors may be more enjoyable, it doesn't compare to cycling indoors for pure fitness.

There are too many external factors - traffic, road surface, weather, wind, etc. On an indoor bike, you crank up the resistance, hunch over the bars and put your legs and lungs through turmoil. There are no distractions. Not even the steepest outdoor hill comes close.
Beg to differ I’ve hit my highest heart rates outdoors, closest indoors have got is around 97%

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Then the challenge could be to accumulate 1000 hours with a HR of 120 or above.
Nice idea. Although probably want to replace that with a personalised zone or something (just to make it more fiddly to calculate). But tbh it's probably simplest to just do distance as that's what the Zwift platform provides.

On a more general point It's worth noting that this challenge is a Zwift-only thing. All distances in the challenge are virtual, so the suggestion that there is some kind of implied equivalence between on road riding and virtual training is wrong.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to read further than the headline. How Catherine Allen hit 5,000 miles by March 9 - Cycling Weekly

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Nice idea. Although probably want to replace that with a personalised zone or something (just to make it more fiddly to calculate). But tbh it's probably simplest to just do distance as that's what the Zwift platform provides.

On a more general point It's worth noting that this challenge is a Zwift-only thing. All distances in the challenge are virtual, so the suggestion that there is some kind of implied equivalence between on road riding and virtual training is wrong.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to read further than the headline. How Catherine Allen hit 5,000 miles by March 9 - Cycling Weekly
or how she didn’t go anywhere outside by 9th March 😂

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tragic. She should get her lunch delivered. Has she never heard of Deliveroo.
Zwifteroo

OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Über Member
As a runner, I think indoor miles are ten times harder than outdoor miles...so I think she's worked even harder.
As a Cyclist, I think indoor miles are ten times easier than outdoor miles... so i don’t think she’s worked even harder. :laugh:

mustang1

Guru
Cycling in the house: you build you leg muscles, stamina, it's soo aerobic, and the results are very consistent because you have exactly the correct number of minutes to warm up, do your sprints, do your tempo, it's quite scientific like being in the lab.

Out on the roads you get aerobic benefit and leg strength improvement, and probably other muscles too as you have to pull on the bars when going up hill. But you develop other skills too, dealing with traffic or pedestrians, being alert, getting sharp, dealing with wind, inclines and descents, potholes, the dreaded rain but you also enjoy the sun.

If all you want to do is get fit, go towards the indoor trainer. If you want to be a fit cyclist, go outdoors.

PS. The above is mainly for road cycling. MTBing homes skills in other ways.

Top Bottom