So cycling indoors in warmth and comfort is the same as cycling outdoors ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tragic. She should get her lunch delivered. Has she never heard of Deliveroo.

Zwifteroo

mustang1

Guru
Cycling in the house: you build you leg muscles, stamina, it's soo aerobic, and the results are very consistent because you have exactly the correct number of minutes to warm up, do your sprints, do your tempo, it's quite scientific like being in the lab.

Out on the roads you get aerobic benefit and leg strength improvement, and probably other muscles too as you have to pull on the bars when going up hill. But you develop other skills too, dealing with traffic or pedestrians, being alert, getting sharp, dealing with wind, inclines and descents, potholes, the dreaded rain but you also enjoy the sun.

If all you want to do is get fit, go towards the indoor trainer. If you want to be a fit cyclist, go outdoors.

PS. The above is mainly for road cycling. MTBing homes skills in other ways.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Perhaps you should actually try it and see how wrong you are.
Well you took that one out of context ...... well done

Twilkes

Guru
Can you imagine a thread on "Your indoor ride today".

Isn't that pretty much what the Zwift thread in the Training forum is?

It's maybe similar to the difference between indoor and outdoor climbing, thousands of people could be amazing indoor climbers without ever having to insert their own protection and lead on an actual rockface.

Isn't that pretty much what the Zwift thread in the Training forum is?

It's maybe similar to the difference between indoor and outdoor climbing, thousands of people could be amazing indoor climbers without ever having to insert their own protection and lead on an actual rockface.
It is actually the Zwift which the article is based on. Reading the article I got the impression she had some issues and this approach appealed to her.

Indoor Climbing however is a well recognised sport discipline by itself as suitable rockfaces are not easily accessible or safe. So indoor makes it easier for the masses as well as more affordable. I suspect that there are more people in indoor rather than the outdoor due to cost and access.

Cycling outdoors however is accessible for everyone. Only inclement weather and the lockdown stops us. Cycling on a trainer however is excellent for training, no arguments there but as a sport not sure.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It is actually the Zwift which the article is based on. Reading the article I got the impression she had some issues and this approach appealed to her.

Indoor Climbing however is a well recognised sport discipline by itself as suitable rockfaces are not easily accessible or safe. So indoor makes it easier for the masses as well as more affordable. I suspect that there are more people in indoor rather than the outdoor due to cost and access.

Cycling outdoors however is accessible for everyone. Only inclement weather and the lockdown stops us. Cycling on a trainer however is excellent for training, no arguments there but as a sport not sure.
However, it is really not. Many people don’t want to mix with horrible traffic or perving men, or they fancy riding up some mountains and don’t live near any, as well as training and don’t have a suitable place for intervals on the road. Cycling is a broad church and I don’t think anyone should be cut out if it because they do it indoors. As a country we have won sackfuls of medals cycling indoors, something that has been going on for over a hundred years.

Top Bottom