So Expensive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd be surprised if all my cycling this century has cost me more than a grand... and that includes the bike itself, a couple of crank sets, a few cassettes and BBs, four new wheels and plenty of chains, tyres, tubes and brake blocks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bike - between free and lots
helmet - don't need that
pedals - about £20 for good ones
shoes - already had them
clothing - already had some
tyre levers - £3.50 for good ones
a pump - £30 for a good one
inner tubes - £3 for branded IIRC
another pump - £20 for a decent floor pump
puncture kit - £2 for branded
tools - £25 for starter set
bell - £4 for a really nice one, £10 for imported luxury
tool bag - £3
gloves - £10 tops?
get somebody to fit you to the bike - DIY
water bottle - £1 to £3
mirror - don't need that

so £140 and you're rolling with a fairly good kit. Quite good value compared to lots of activities, isn't it? Beyond that, it's as expensive as you want to make it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And the potential problems/issues? Other than weight that is.
Why's weight an issue? My lightest bike is the one I was given. :laugh:

I think the biggest potential problem in keeping it cheap is that you're probably going to need some basic mechanical aptitude, else spend a lot of time learning from free materials and potentially with a broken bike. Some bike mechanics knowledge also helps to be able to spot the common parts and avoid the expensive proprietary stuff.

I suspect you probably have to be ready to spend up to maybe £300 on the bike at any time, just in case several expensive parts break and need tools you don't have. It's unlikely you'd spend that on parts and tools most years.

Karlt

As an adult MTBer, minimum budget is £150 for a poor BSO and a bit of kit £50-100. Half decent bike and better kit £700-1200 and probably £300-500 in kit. Budget for a nice bike £1500-2000 and most kit £500-700. What I would like to spend if I had the money, bike £3/4000+ and £1000+ on kit.

Nah. Half decent bike - Triban 520 from Decathlon - what are they? £350 notes or something? Shoes £50, pedals £15, full set of clothing from Aldi or Decathlon for well less than 100. That's £500. Not sure where the idea that a "half decent" bike starts at £700 comes from.

migrantwing

Veteran
Who would have thought that riding a shuv iron would be so expensive, and I kept it cheap :blush:

Bike, helmet, pedals, shoes, clothing including wet weather and winter is to come, tyre levers, a pump, inner tubes, another pump, puncture kit, tools, bell, tool bag, gloves, get somebody to fit you to the bike, water bottle, mirror, and I've barely scratched the surface :wacko:

It's cheaper to buy an exercise bike :bicycle:

But not nearly as much fun ^_^^_^^_^

Mick

Still cheaper than a car, more enviromentally friendly and better for you physically, too :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Still cheaper than a car, more enviromentally friendly and better for you physically, too :smile:
I do have a car too :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Nah. Half decent bike - Triban 520 from Decathlon - what are they? £350 notes or something? Shoes £50, pedals £15, full set of clothing from Aldi or Decathlon for well less than 100. That's £500. Not sure where the idea that a "half decent" bike starts at £700 comes from.
Can't mtb on a triban road bike so well. Those are £450 for drops

Sandra6

Veteran
To begin cycling all you need is a bike - I think you'll find they come with pedals, and by law they have to have a bell - and a helmet if you're that way inclined.
When I bought my first "proper" bike I got the shop to throw in a water bottle and cage for free and they gave me some money off the helmet too.
I already had clothes and shoes, because I don't walk around naked when I'm not on the bike.
A pump and puncture repair equipment can be bought for under £20.
If you've got money to spend, go mad, if not, don't be put off because of the perceived price tag.

I have been cycling for 3 years but the last 6 months I have started commuting to work which is about 25 miles in total, I have 2 expensive road bikes. A Cervelo S2 and a Bianchi Oltre XR1 which upgrades.

Both bikes have power meters and I wear Sidi and Fizik Road shoes along with Castelli and Rapha clothing, Kask Helmets.

It is expensive but my view is not only am I improving my health by cycling I am also saving £54 a month on a bus pass.

Its as expensive as you want to make it, I could buy a much cheaper set of bikes and not run power meters on them or carbon wheels and I could buy much cheaper clothing but I enjoy it and I enjoy buying new things.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Couldn't agree more with Sandra6. I have been cycling 5 years now.
Had 3 bikes in that time and sold one and now have a Boardman Hybrid and Kona Dew City. Cost of them all after selling one was only £500
I still wear astro turf trainers, football socks and a pairs of cargo shorts I would have worn out before.
I wear running/technical tops , most of which were free from running races.
Bought some gloves and a couple of decent jackets/gillet and a hat and I was good to go.
Pick up a couple of essential tools/inner tubes and thats about it really.
You can always add some bits over time, I just bought a couple of pairs of more suitable shorts for example.....

Top Bottom