So Expensive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felix79

I've just recently started to get into cycling. I had an idea of what brand of bike I wanted (which was a Cannondale) and ended up paying £350 for a CAAD8. I've spent a fair bit on extra items like clothing and upgrades for the bike, but I didn't need to if I wanted to just go out and enjoy the bike.

What I have noticed is it is very easy to spend large sums of money, very quickly and easily on cycling. I am confident I will not change my frame unless it gets damaged, but I do plan on making it have Ultegra parts with some FSA, as I really enjoy upgrading things (I am very obsessed with doing this on my Impreza P1 and my guitar equipment).

Speaking of guitar equipment, I have got myself setup with what I deem quality items in cycling for a fraction of the money needed to have a quality setup with electric guitars.

Jody

Stubborn git
Nah. Half decent bike - Triban 520 from Decathlon - what are they? £350 notes or something? Shoes £50, pedals £15, full set of clothing from Aldi or Decathlon for well less than 100. That's £500. Not sure where the idea that a "half decent" bike starts at £700 comes from.

Depends on what you want to do with it and what parts it comes with. For something with quality parts (air suspension, decent brakes, finishing kit) then you will be paying more than 350. The bike you quoted look like a road/hybrid and I am talking about a quality MTB. Completely different ball game.

Karlt

Depends on what you want to do with it and what parts it comes with. For something with quality parts (air suspension, decent brakes, finishing kit) then you will be paying more than 350. The bike you quoted look like a road/hybrid and I am talking about a quality MTB. Completely different ball game.

But we said half decent, not 'quality'. Lots of half decent MTBs at around £350 or so.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
In my spare time I am a musician. I've played sine I was 11 years old at a number of venues and different styles. I've bought many expensive guitars over the years, thinking that they will improve my playing. Whilst I sounded marginally better, time on the instrument was what ultimately counted; I've learnt this now.

My current bike cost £110 used from eBay. It works fine. Time on the bike has brought the biggest improvement (and most enjoyment). No need to spend a fortune.

Actually, forget the above, I have a collection of expensive guitars and will probably but a Scott Foil road bike as soon as I am able...(you will also need to factor in purchasing high quality coffee, a grinder, cafetière and set aside a healthy budget for cafe stop cakes).

Last edited:

Stevec047

Über Member
I have done cycling on the cheap and it is surprising how cheap you can do it especially if you stagger your purchases. My bike was an £80 second hand carrera which needed a few cheap fixes such as handle bar tape new cables and brake pads all done for £25 including cable cutters.

Clothing wise Aldi/Lidl are great for inexpensive clothes which ok aren't the best but for the price they work oh and the helmets are fine if not a little bulky. Amazon was a good place for cycling bibs got a pair with a good thick chamois for £20

Apart from that my only real expensive was a set of lighter wheels as my original rear was buckled but rims tyres and tubes set me back £135. Water bottles cages etc are next to nothing. Clipless pedals again where cheap as at £20 and I was lucky enough to get a pair of mtb shoes for nothing but saying that places like decathlon do cycling shoes relatively cheap.

In time and as money comes easier I of course will upgrade to better quality gear but to start of with you can cycle on a budget and in fact there are people out there that do it for alot less than me.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think cycling represents incredibly good value for money.

It's fair to say I do things as cost-effectively as possible. Almost all my rides are circular, starting and finishing at home. I carry all the food I need, so the cost of a typical day's ride is negligible, amounting to a bit more food than usual, power to charge my Garmin, and a few other things that barely register. Yesterday's ride was quite costly because I had to replace an inner tube.

If you get the basic setup (frame and major components) right, by which I mean sufficient quality to last and a design that suits the rider, this will last for many years, even decades. Replacement of consumable parts and incremental improvements over the years then don't seem like a big burden. In the last year or so I've bought a Brooks B17 and a Garmin Edge 200 - both just over £60 when Halfords were selling them for less than usual - and they've both enhanced my experience enormously.

I see no reason why you can't get fully established on the road without scrimping for around £1000, and thereafter the hobby definitely doesn't need to become a money pit.

PBB

Veteran
Agree that you can spend as little or as much as you need.

First bike was £60 from Tesco but under their club card reward scheme on double up so it cost me only £30 in vouchers

Helmet and lock etc another £15

Onward, bought a hybrid from Halfords at £199 but don't forget Quidco on their click and collect - I got nearly £10 back

Add another £100 over 5 years for rack, mudguards, lidl clothes etc as a very rough estimate and my outlay is about £300 to £350. A bargain for the enjoyment, exploration opportunities and weight loss it has given me in return.

Avoid cheapest £1 or £2 lights though. They seem great value but fail often especially in wet weather and you end up buying them again and again.

I used to do a lot of kayaking and open canoeing, and regularly bought/sold/part exchanged boats, always at a cost of some money.

But the biggest thing, compared to cycling, was the cost in "dead time". For me to go canoeing on the local river involved about 15 minutes to load up the car, about 30 minutes to drive to the water, then maybe 10 minutes to get organised and get onto the water. After the paddling session there would be another hour or so to pack up, drive home and sort out my gear.

By contrast, I can cycle direct from home with just a few mibutes to change into my kit, and then set off and I am cycling straight away.

So it's the time saving that I appreciate the most, plus the ability to sometimes build a bit of cycling into my daily life. Like for instance to cycle over to the doctors to drop a repeat prescription in, or to nip to the bank for some cash and that sort of thing.

But my gear is all cheap - Decathlon mountain bike, Aldi and Decathlon clothing and cheapie trainers. No Rapha for me!

vickster

Legendary Member
All that storage space:ohmy:, the equivalent of a spare room you could rent out:biggrin:.
Well I'm back to 4...they live in my lovely 4 bike Asgard in the garden, not sure I'd want to sleep in there, might vibrate if a snorer :biggrin:

I don't need to rent a room out, I like my space and mess to be mine :biggrin:

Top Bottom