So far so good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Your partner can take her? Or the days you walk don’t cycle and the days you cycle go further or harder?
To be honest I'm happy doing it this way, I think we are doing better than most with the lockdown with staying at home and keeping our distance. We live in a very quite area I only take her to the river and back.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Your partner can take her? Or the days you walk don’t cycle and the days you cycle go further or harder?

As long as you are complying with social distancing rules, there's nothing to stop you going out for exercise more than once a day. Mr Smugface Gove's misguided comment of an hour a day was never enacted in the legislation. I'm pretty sure there are no dogs being taken out only once a day, and what's good enough for dogs......................

vickster

Legendary Member
As long as you are complying with social distancing rules, there's nothing to stop you going out for exercise more than once a day. Mr Smugface Gove's misguided comment of an hour a day was never enacted in the legislation. I'm pretty sure there are no dogs being taken out only once a day, and what's good enough for dogs......................
It was nothing to do with Gove? One form of exercise day has been in the guidance from the get go, although the time wasn’t specified

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

indeed @Knightly85 acknowledges this above :okay:

Anyhow as it’s not in the legislation, we can all just do what ever suits us

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
It was nothing to do with Gove? One form of exercise day has been in the guidance from the get go, although the time wasn’t specified

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...dance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

indeed @Knightly85 acknowledges this above :okay:

Anyhow as it’s not in the legislation, we can all just do what ever suits us

Who's to know and what harm does it do? It's definitely not a case of doing whatever suits us. The important thing is staying away from anyone not in your family group.

We've just had a family bingo session via Zoom as one way of staying in touch with the grandkids. Once they open the golf courses again, I'll probably be golfing and cycling on the same day more than once a week. The golf will be my weight-bearing exercise for the day.

vickster

Legendary Member
Golf courses opening is going to come way down the relaxation probably, so once a day will likely have been relaxed too

si_c

Guru
In fairness if your partner and daughter are out for a walk and are exposed then you'll be exposed anyway albeit on a slightly different timeline. So staying at home in this case is unlikely to make much difference especially if you are being sensible whilst out.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

You watch the news, you have seen how busy the trains still are and the parks in London. People are not social distancing they still go round friends and family ECT ECT, I'm sure me going for an hour cycle and later on going for a walk as a family is doing no harm what so ever.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm sure me going for an hour cycle and later on going for a walk as a family is doing no harm what so ever.

Do whatever combination of activity suits you. I'm not terribly interested in what politicians think I should or shouldn't do. I often take two forms of exercise daily. For example on Friday I was on my feet at work all day, plus I rode 12 miles as well. On Saturday I rode 8 miles and walked a couple of miles. Yesterday I rode 18 miles but didn't do any walking. Today I've ridden 5 miles early this morning, plus walked 3 miles doing shopping. I'll also be going out for another ride of about 10 miles this evening if the weather stays OK. Often when I do a morning and evening ride on the same day, I spot the same dog walkers, so they are also going out at least twice, and possibly other times too when I'm not out so therefore don't see them.

OP
OP
Knightly85

Knightly85

Do whatever combination of activity suits you. I'm not terribly interested in what politicians think I should or shouldn't do. I often take two forms of exercise daily. For example on Friday I was on my feet at work all day, plus I rode 12 miles as well. On Saturday I rode 8 miles and walked a couple of miles. Yesterday I rode 18 miles but didn't do any walking. Today I've ridden 5 miles early this morning, plus walked 3 miles doing shopping. I'll also be going out for another ride of about 10 miles this evening if the weather stays OK. Often when I do a morning and evening ride on the same day, I spot the same dog walkers, so they are also going out at least twice, and possibly other times too when I'm not out so therefore don't see them.
Well said, I am not hurting anybody. I feel it is important for me to get out once a day on my own, have a cycle a bit of me time and it is more important to get my little girl out. We are limited to where we can take her, if she sees a park or anything like that she wants to go in them. The other day we passed a park and she wanted to go and play in it and we had to say no obviously she started to cry, she gets so frustrated bless her she doesn't understand what is going on. So we just take a walk down and along the river she likes to quack at the ducks, see the swans and throw done a into the river.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
First 2 weeks finished! I've done 11 home workouts, 525 push ups, gone for walks, cycled nearly 100 miles and had a very healthy diet. Started at 104 kilos and now I'm 98 kilos. For the next 2 week's I also bring sit-ups into my daily exercise.
Well done - that's an epic loss in 2wks. Took me about 10-12wks of low-carb to achieve the same, although fasting gets there a lot quicker if you can hack it :tongue:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
that's an epic loss in 2wks.

That sounds way too fast to me, and running a risk of either picking up a training injury or just becoming sick of the whole thing through overdoing it. The frequency of the workouts especially don't build in much recovery time. When I started doing chin-ups getting on for 10 years ago, I found that attempting them more than 2-3 times a week max really wasn't a good idea as I didn't get any better at them if I did them more frequently. Admittedly they are a pretty hardcore exercise because you are lifting your entire body weight, but it was evident each session needed at least 2 full days recovery. Even with cycling, if I overdo it a bit one day and my legs feel really knackered I give the next day a miss and make do with my normal walking around as part of the day as my exercise quota. Apart from the odd knee twinge now and again I don't get any injuries that prevent me either riding or doing any other physical activity.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well done - that's an epic loss in 2wks. Took me about 10-12wks of low-carb to achieve the same, although fasting gets there a lot quicker if you can hack it :tongue:
It’ll be pretty much all water esp if have cut right back on sugar 👍

wafter

That sounds way too fast to me, and running a risk of either picking up a training injury or just becoming sick of the whole thing through overdoing it. The frequency of the workouts especially don't build in much recovery time. When I started doing chin-ups getting on for 10 years ago, I found that attempting them more than 2-3 times a week max really wasn't a good idea as I didn't get any better at them if I did them more frequently. Admittedly they are a pretty hardcore exercise because you are lifting your entire body weight, but it was evident each session needed at least 2 full days recovery. Even with cycling, if I overdo it a bit one day and my legs feel really knackered I give the next day a miss and make do with my normal walking around as part of the day as my exercise quota. Apart from the odd knee twinge now and again I don't get any injuries that prevent me either riding or doing any other physical activity.
Indeed; however I guess a mixture of exercise would reduce the chance of injury while diet is probably contributing lot. In addition, if the diet is cutting out carbs, 1.5-2kg of that "lost" weight may well be transient water weight due to lower glycogen levels.

I agree about the cycling; tbh I've really overcooked it recently and it's starting to take its toll - need some down-time but boredom and nice weather makes it difficult.

As you say chin-ups are a very high intensity / strength-focussed exercises that are bound to be a lot more stressful than long periods of low intensity exercise for weight loss. How many can you do now? I don't think I can even do one :shy:

wafter

It’ll be pretty much all water esp if have cut right back on sugar 👍
lol - you read my mind! All is probably a bit harsh but in my experience a couple of kilos could well be water loss if the carbs have been chopped. Still doesn't seem like a bad effort though and let's not burst the guy's balloon as he's clearly getting some motivation from his progress; even if it's perhaps not as much as it might seem.

vickster

Legendary Member
At least a couple of kilos, he won’t have lost a stone in fat in under 2 weeks unfortunately. Even (especially) if he’s starving himself, especially as he’s not very overweight I believe

Top Bottom