So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
...and me. One week into owning an SMGTe. Mechanical disks, headrest, alu forks, lowrider + rear rack. Lovely. Lovely. Lovely.

...and only a little wobbly when pulling away.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've got a Trice Q, my first chance at cycling for 15 years since an arm disability stopped me using regular bicycles. I am loving the freedom, using the bike every day and have done 900 miles in three months.

Problem is, I leave my husband behind on rides (he's got a basic road bike). He's wondering whether to get a Trice too but it's such a lot of money. If anyone has a second hand tadpole trike...

PaulM

Guru
I think I forgot to declare my recumbent credentials. I now have a Catrike Speed, but previously owned an HPV Spirit and Trice T. The garage is looking quite empty at the moment, so I am contemplating something else. Have thought about a Bacchetta Giro 20, but being on two wheels seems so dangerous once you have got used to three. BTW, I live down in the Portsmouth direction so let me know if you are local and fancy meeting up for a ride out.

I have a Radius C4: it's a German LWB 'bent with 20" wheels at both ends, underseat steering, a Sachs 3-speed hub, 7 speed Shimano, Magura hydraulic rim brakes, and a carrier as standard. I cannot ride a conventional bike any longer because of arthritis in my shoulders: one joint has been replaced, and the other is on the way out. I simply cannot take any weight on my arms, and even a conventional bike with an upright riding position cripples me within a couple of miles. I also experience numbness in the palms of my hands; it doesn't matter what spongy grips I use, or what padded mitts I wear, so the ability to just dangle my arms at my side is heavenly.

Even as I write, I have a TW Bents trike being couriered to me from the Highlands of Scotland, so tomorrow there will be another addition to the stable. I have been keen on sampling the delights of three wheels for some time, but I cannot afford the prices that most trikes fetch. I usually keep an eye on ebay, and found this trike being sold as an ex-display model with a hefty discount from its rrp by a dealer in Strathpeffer. It has been ridden around the local car park by a couple of customers, and that's all. I had been on the verge of buying a TW Bents trike from St John Street Cycles at full list price, so this proved to be temptation beyong endurance.

Watch this space.......

marc-triker

Veteran
I ride an a pre-ice trice tadpole trike. she actualy belongs to cyclemagic. I've done aprox 500miles with her so far and i'm currently replacing the gears and chain in preporation 4 a cpl of 100+ rides out in a few weeks time. i want 1 of my own but cant decide what to get so if any of you have any advice on what is and isn't worth looking at. please let me know.

marc-Triker

oztrike

I acquired a secondhand Greenspeed GT3 (Series I) in great condition, in June. I reckon I've ridden further and faster in the last four months than the rest of my life, and I know I've had more fun! I absolutely love it! I feel so much more confident on my trike than a DF, even after I pranged it (I was seeing how fast I could go and still corner ...not as fast as I went, obviously, but it was only in a carpark).

I've been lurking around, reading this forum for a while, and even though there is a similar Australian and NZ site, I've joined CycleChat because everyone seemed so friendly and welcoming.

Cheers, oztrike

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
marc-triker said:
I ride an a pre-ice trice tadpole trike. she actualy belongs to cyclemagic. I've done aprox 500miles with her so far and i'm currently replacing the gears and chain in preporation 4 a cpl of 100+ rides out in a few weeks time. i want 1 of my own but cant decide what to get so if any of you have any advice on what is and isn't worth looking at. please let me know.

marc-Triker

It might be an idea to start a thread with that specific query as it may go unnoticed in this thread.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
oztrike said:
I acquired a secondhand Greenspeed GT3 (Series I) in great condition, in June. I reckon I've ridden further and faster in the last four months than the rest of my life, and I know I've had more fun! I absolutely love it! I feel so much more confident on my trike than a DF, even after I pranged it (I was seeing how fast I could go and still corner ...not as fast as I went, obviously, but it was only in a carpark).

I've been lurking around, reading this forum for a while, and even though there is a similar Australian and NZ site, I've joined CycleChat because everyone seemed so friendly and welcoming.

Cheers, oztrike

You probably ought to introduce yourself in the cafe as we don't have too many Aussies.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oztrike, welcome! You might like to try bentrideronline.com as well - there are quite a few antipodean recumbent bikers and trikers on there, but the chat is purely 'bent focused, and dominated by Leftpondians. I like it, but here's a much better all round place IMO.

Seamus

I have a Trice T, a red, front mudguards, rear carrier, 3 waterbottles.
I bought from Dtek in Septebember and rode home camping and hostelling.
Rutland was nice, the Wing maze.

Even now I can't say what I paid for it. Writing the cheque whose hard.

Also got a Challenge Mistral that I should selling.

nobby

Über Member
Catrike UK said:
Shameless plug, Catrikes start at £895 plus VAT, I have a vested interest in them as I am the importer so I will leave others to tell you how good they are.

Do any of them fold?

I started triking in 1994 with a Peter Ross Trice, which after many happy years and several frames I updated in 2007

After trying a few I settled on the Catrike Expedition as it was a fast comfortable and dependable rie with a stiffer frame. It also had better triangulation (stronger) than the Trice. Additionally it had the 26" rear wheel that I was familiar with.

I have never regretted the decision.

Top Bottom