So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew1971

Veteran
I am still loving mine about 1 month on. Starting to run out of gears i only have 8 at the moment:sad:

I've pretty much decided on this

http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/Recumbent-Trikes/KMX-Performance/KMX-Viper-Adults-Sports-Trike.aspx

If anyone has any opinions, please comment, good or bad, as it will be my first recumbent.

Cheap trike -
They had some issues a while ago with paint-work , NO rear brake , Direct knuckle steering , twist grip gear change , hard seat .

Personally I would rather have had that e-bay trike and got a set of road tyres :rolleyes:. for 1/2 the cost

But don't let me put you off , you can always sell it later :cursing: once you have learned better :laugh:

Designed and distributed from KMX near Fareham, Hampshire - they have a few demo trikes at the show-room.
You would need to arrange a test ride / viewing prior to descending on them

Try it first before you buy :wacko: and you only have yourself to blame :banghead:

regards emma

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
:hyper: As of Monday, I'll be joining the recumbent crew, when this arrives
View attachment 106143
:becool::becool::becool::becool::becool:

Bought some rollers to pop it on through the winter as it will be wrapped in cotton wool for at least the first year.:laugh:
"
Bugger that make's my KMX look like crap. Hopefully that's one you won't regret.:okay:

I don't think I'll regret her, even if it just sits in the lounge looking lush.

Listen, there is owt wrong with a kmx, I was looking at the venom of theirs, until I was left some cash from a relative me and Mrs P looked after. I just thought that this would probably be the only time I would ever be able to buy a bike or trike outright because of it.

Deal is though, I'm going to try and raise at least the cost of the trike through sponsored audaxes and other rides for Dorothy House who helped us look after said relative nearer the end.

Feed it forward and all that...

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
The most beautiful machine is .... yours

+1 for this. This is my first real expensive bike/trike, but not my first freaking lovely bike.

If you look at your machine and think "feck that's lush" it's the right one*

*pikey may have imbibed half a bottle of rum at this point so no responsibility is taken for any such slushy comments or views implied. Terms and conditions apply.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've pretty much decided on this

http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/Recumbent-Trikes/KMX-Performance/KMX-Viper-Adults-Sports-Trike.aspx

If anyone has any opinions, please comment, good or bad, as it will be my first recumbent.
I went for the Cobra for the lower gearing and I'm glad I did as I have trouble with hills and have now gone even lower by changing the 22T for a 20T, the other reason was the rear brake.
I first bought it for off road use, but found it so nice to ride it has become my favourite and hardly use the bike now.
I've changed the tyres the to Schwalbe Big Apple for a smooth fast ride pumped up to 60-70, I bought the racks from them too they will say it will only take a front pannier, but I have full size 46L ones and they are fine.

Andrew1971

Veteran
My KMX Tornado is the most expensive trike/bike i have ever bought and came with a rear brake.:smile: I thought the extra weight would be an issue and turned out it was not. It's been a steep learning curve and loved every moment of it. Go one buy it you know you want too:okay:
Andrew

Rear bakes on a trike are not essential as the braking is done on the front wheels

It can also reduce performance!

If you have independent braking (each lever operates the nearest wheel) then it ca also be used for steering as well

A rear brake lever means that you need to double up the front brakes which complicates setiing up and matching the brake performance

The only real use is as a parking brake... and even this can be overcome with a velcro "cinch strap" used to hold a front brake on

None of my trikes have a rear brake

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I went for the Cobra for the lower gearing and I'm glad I did as I have trouble with hills and have now gone even lower by changing the 22T for a 20T, the other reason was the rear brake.
I first bought it for off road use, but found it so nice to ride it has become my favourite and hardly use the bike now.
I've changed the tyres the to Schwalbe Big Apple for a smooth fast ride pumped up to 60-70, I bought the racks from them too they will say it will only take a front pannier, but I have full size 46L ones and they are fine.
How do you find those twist grip shifters?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
How do you find those twist grip shifters?
Hi to be honest they are OK until the summer came with sweaty hands they are hard to operate due to not enough strength in the little fingers, if you slide your hand down to the the thumb and first finger it's all right well sort of. If there had been an option I would like barends as they are so easy to use I have them on my touring bike. I think having twist shifters and only 8 speed it has been done to keep the price low. Don't get me wrong the trike is well made I went to see them as they are not far from me and had a test ride, they will actually put it together for you if you want I don't think there is a charge for this only good if you can put it in the back of an estate car, but as Mike was not there I tool it home in a box I put it together myself which is very easy video on youtube

View: https://youtu.be/Fpzj98Urtpg

Over all for the price it is very good value for money and I'm well pleased with it, as things wear out I will change gearing to 27 and barends, but not for a year or too.

busa5504

I have a viper and have over 2000 miles clocked.up on it (1000 in last 5 months) and do love it. Yes it's agricultural looking and weight but it's rugged. Up hills is hard work but arnt all bents?

I changed the tyres over to marathon plus and had my first puncture in 1.5 years last week.

The owner barry I couldn't commend him enough he makes so.much effort to please and ultimately he wa dthe reason I choose kmx.

Would in get another... maybe not as i would want something lighter, thay folds and faster.....would I trade it in for.something else.... no as it does everything I need and looks pretty cool too.

busa5504

Apologies for the spelling was on my phone :smile:
I have a viper and have over 2000 miles clocked up on it (1000 in last 5 months) and do love it. Yes it's agricultural looking and weighty but it's rugged. Up-hills is hard work but aren't all bents?

I changed the tyres over to marathon plus and had my first puncture in 1.5 years last week.

The owner barry I couldn't commend him enough he makes so.much effort to please and ultimately he wa dthe reason I choose kmx.

Would I get another?... maybe not as I would want something lighter, that folds and faster.....would I trade it in for.something else?.... no as it does everything I need and looks pretty cool too.

Top Bottom