So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I had the tyres changed on my trike (still can't manage it with my bad back) and my average speed along the same 23 mile route had increased by almost 1mph. I'm happy. In fact today I did the 23 mile route with an extension making it a 34 mile route and my average speed was 9.3mph!

I managed to take a combined 750g off the tyre weight changing over to a marathon supreme from a badly cracked marathon XR and from the big apples to trykers. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in comfort or handling but I did add a thicker pad to my seat which reflects my body heat back at my back and is best described as amazingly warm and like during on my electric heat mat at times! It should be more than warm enough through winter.

I managed to take a combined 750g off the tyre weight changing over to a marathon supreme from a badly cracked marathon XR and from the big apples to trykers. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in comfort or handling but I did add a thicker pad to my seat which reflects my body heat back at my back and is best described as amazingly warm and like during on my electric heat mat at times! It should be more than warm enough through winter.

Doesn't seem a long time ago when the trike was new - badly cracked marathon already ?

baco foil in the seat pad helps reflect the heat back into the body :rolleyes:

regards emma

Doesn't seem a long time ago when the trike was new - badly cracked marathon already ?

baco foil in the seat pad helps reflect the heat back into the body :rolleyes:

regards emma
It's an old marathon XR I had on the wheel already. My rear wheel from my expedition bike was a Rohloff high so I had the trike made to take that wheel... The tyre has seen duty on all my UK tours plus part of my attempted world tour... It's had a long life. It may live a while yet but I'm not sure. We will see how this new one goes with the Cheshire lanes...

The seat was just a mesh seat and adding the pad had helped considerably with both comfort and warmth. It's a £9.99 sleeping mat/extra thick pilates mat that I cut up. I needed the softness and warmth. My stunning bit of initiative was to put it into the mesh seat between the mesh and the straps rather than actually sit on it! When I get home, I'll cut another attempt this time from the length of the mat rather than the width and make it about 15cm longer so it runs for the entire length of the seat rather than finishing early! I may even put the odd drainage hold in it incase of inclement weather! :rain: it might save me from sitting in a puddle :eek: :whistle:

DaddyPaddey

Well the Avatar will have to change now the Glasshopper has gone and a nice new Scorpion fs 26 arrived from Germany [via Glasgow], Oh and the big recumbent grin has returned!
I opted for the SRAM dual drive but feel the lowest gear is a little high. Does any one else have any experience with SRAM?

PaulM

Guru
Congrats on the new machine. It should be easy enough to fit a smaller chainring. Might be worth fitting a double ring at the front, with a smaller one for loaded touring and/or hilly terrain. You can always change the front by hand with the chain tube rather than going to the trouble of fitting another shifter and cable. I think the dual drive is excellent, particularly if you set it up so that most of your riding is in direct drive (no. 2).

Congrats on the new machine. It should be easy enough to fit a smaller chainring. Might be worth fitting a double ring at the front, with a smaller one for loaded touring and/or hilly terrain. You can always change the front by hand with the chain tube rather than going to the trouble of fitting another shifter and cable. I think the dual drive is excellent, particularly if you set it up so that most of your riding is in direct drive (no. 2).
On the Hurricane I have a manual change

With SPDs you can maintain revolutions with the left foot and guide the change with the right

Sailorsi

Recumbents - Exercise whilst lying down
Well the Avatar will have to change now the Glasshopper has gone and a nice new Scorpion fs 26 arrived from Germany [via Glasgow], Oh and the big recumbent grin has returned!
I opted for the SRAM dual drive but feel the lowest gear is a little high. Does any one else have any experience with SRAM?

Pleased it arrived safely ^_^ I'm sure I will see you out and about soon. I'm just starting my build and using SRAM, I have gone for a MTB 11-36 rear and a road 50/34 front so hoping that will be enough range, apparently the 10 speed road/MTB components are compatible with the road shifter. Lets hope so!
So far the wheel set has arrived which is a start! Have fun :bicycle:

DaddyPaddey

Isn't life a learning curve. I fitted the Streamer fairing and thought it did nothing to the looks, but came down Portsdown Hill [our big mountain] on the first day with a certain amount of braking, and found it was extremely stable [unlike the KMX]. At the weekend came down same stretch, unfaired, no braking. Seemed quick, but I was astonished when subsequently looking at the gps to discover the max was 1k less than with the fairing. However mounting and dismounting with the fairing caused my so called friends much hilarity

Which route?

I find "Down End Road" the best as it is more open and less curved than some of the others

Totally OT..... a Brompton with one pedal is far slower than a recumbent trike on this route!

DAMHITK

kerryw

Hi All
I have a performer folding trike, bought it about 2 years ago, before that I had an early KMX

1.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom