So I cycled the one-way road that cyclist Claire Hitier-Abadie was killed on (50 second video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Wanstead to Bloomsbury (I don't RLJ) - 10miles

Commute, Weekend
Bike: 37mins, 32mins
Car: c1hr, c45 mins

Bike times are fairly consistent, car times vary wildly.

Bike much faster than cars. Compare commute to weekend and you'll see that cars slow me down.

comparable to my times along CS2 , and I definitely don't RLJ , or ride like a twot .

25 mins to Aldgate from Leytonstone ( Wanstead flats ) , I tried it on a sunday morning at 5am once , in the car , and it was still just quicker

comparable to my times along CS2 , and I definitely don't RLJ , or ride like a twot .

25 mins to Aldgate from Leytonstone ( Wanstead flats ) , I tried it on a sunday morning at 5am once , in the car , and it was still just quicker
Sorry, thread diversion.
I go from wanstead through flats through olympic park to Victoria park. Gorgeous route through there, why not try that way?

subaqua

What’s the point
Sorry, thread diversion.
I go from wanstead through flats through olympic park to Victoria park. Gorgeous route through there, why not try that way?

Black square to follow this diversion !

I have started to use eastway shared path ( kin orrible and slimey) to Victoria park . need to look at how to do Olympic park to Victoria park . don't suppose you have a GPX file from garmin/strava do you.

Black square to follow this diversion !

I have started to use eastway shared path ( kin orrible and slimey) to Victoria park . need to look at how to do Olympic park to Victoria park . don't suppose you have a GPX file from garmin/strava do you.
Will pm you.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The suggestion that she was riding while on the mobile phone filtering up the inside of a left turning lorry. Thinking on it while neither of those are specifically illegal on a bicycle if it doesn't add up to undue care and attention then I don't know what does. Or is that also not a thing on a bicycle? If not then I'll amend it to 'while anecdotally the cyclist seems to have been taking no care of their own safety'.

And, as always, this is just supposition.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I did mention this in the original 'Cyclist down' thread - I walked past the accident just after it happened on Thursday, and walking in this morning, there was a police presence grabbing cyclists who were breaking the rules. One guy on a Boris bike going the wrong way down a one way street who (I think) had just tried to barrel through some pedestrians who were crossing at the junction opposite the accident site.
And then 100 yards down the road, another cyclist being directed onto the pavement for a 'chat' after he jumped a red light.

and thats why it will always be imposible, stupid people do stupid things.
TMN I think going inside a lorry on a bike on a narrow road using a phone when the lorry is indicating left with beepers sounding is why she died, being an offence is of no concern , suicidal action.

poor truck driver has to live with it.

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
So why bother then?
Cycle Chat would be quite dull if we didn't chat about things.
I like to think I'm being fairly even handed with things here, and have tried to stop myself as much as possible from getting involved when it was in the Cyclist Down area. I guess we could just leave any discussions about road safety until all of the investigations have been done and the final results are published, but I'm not sure how much sense talking about it 6-18 months down the line would be. Also, in this case, there's a reasonable chance the result is going to be very little, which is terrible in its own right.

The Highway Code also makes it clear you should look before turning.

idlecyclist

A sign advising cyclists and car drivers that primary is the correct position on that road wouldn't go amiss.

Brilliant idea.

I have seen the "do not overtake cyclist" more and more at roadworks, which is a step in the right direction.
But i think this would be far better. It could easily be deplicted in picture format in a red triangle and displayed by all narrow/dangerious roads and pinch points.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
'Chatting' about how some stranger might have been careless enough to get killed, when we don't know either way? What is wrong with people? Abstract discussions about road safety are quite different.
I guess I prefer to analyse stuff than ignore it. This discussion does seem to be primarily about how the area, and ones like it, could be made safer. The incident does matter but lets face it the thrust of the conversation isn't 'careless people die' which it could be. It's how do you make these areas safer. Your question was prompted by a post where I stated that I felt cracking down on cyclists in the area around where a cyclist had just been killed seemed like a crass, and incorrect thing to do. I don't disagree that some of the posts in the various threads this incident has created have been insensitive, unfortunately that seems to be the way for some CC posters. I'm not sure how you think the repercussions could be discussed without some degree of speculation by people on the original incident.

I agree, it's wrong to lose sight of the fact that someones life was ended, and a large number of peoples lives have been drastically changed by their involvement in this tragedy. But I feel that isn't being ignored across the board and that if an advocate walks in to a meeting and says 'we need signs where there are narrow lanes saying "don't overtake cyclists"' because they read it here and it struck a chord, or whatever, then that validates the discussion.

subaqua

What’s the point
The Highway Code also makes it clear you should look before turning.
rule 73 also says some important things ( makes it clear to use you terminology) about not going up the inside too. in the section for cyclists as it happens.

it also has the same legal standing as rule 170, which is the bits about looking at junctions.

without wanting to start a debate on helmets , using your terminology , the highway code also makes it clear in rule 59 that a helmet and hi viz clothing should be worn.

still if you want to willy wave and not actually do anything then crack on

Rule 73 warns against riding between the vehicle and the kerb. There's no kerb in the footage, the building site has encroached onto the road, narrowing the lane and making it very hard to see indicators, let alone lateral movement at lane-changing.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Brilliant idea.

I have seen the "do not overtake cyclist" more and more at roadworks, which is a step in the right direction.
But i think this would be far better. It could easily be deplicted in picture format in a red triangle and displayed by all narrow/dangerious roads and pinch points.

There is a DfT THINK! poster, but no plans for a sign:

cyclists-ride-central-on-narrow-roads300x200.jpg

However, I'd prefer a no overtaking sign.

Top Bottom