So I cycled the one-way road that cyclist Claire Hitier-Abadie was killed on (50 second video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

A sign advising cyclists and car drivers that primary is the correct position on that road wouldn't go amiss.
Complete waste of time, you ask 90% (figure plucked from the air) what/where the primary position is, or what it is & they will stare blankly back at you.

Complete waste of time, you ask 90% (figure plucked from the air) what/where the primary position is, or what it is & they will stare blankly back at you.
As said plenty of times above I mean that's what a sign should show. Forget word primary but shiw a nice picture of bike in middle of lane.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cars don't see squeezing past a bike as overtaking. If they did I wouldn't get overtaken on double white lines when going more than 10mph

Quite. That's why I would rather see an update to the HC and red circular signs (prohibitive) with regard to not overtaking cyclists.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
We don't know what happened, except that someone's daughter, wife and mother has died in horrible circumstances. I could speculate that she was directed to go left by a mischievous alien who hovered in front of her - that would be about as much use as all the sickening, vapid victim blaming going on in this thread.

I dont understand your "sickening vapid victim blaming" do what I do if a thread displeases me . I dont read it.
Its been stated she went inside a lorry, firman removed her phone ,indicators and buzzers sounding.
I thought we were discussing how to minimize this sort of tragedy?.

Ahh well ,perhaps we can disscuss the road after the inquest in a year or 2.

subaqua

What’s the point
Rule 73 warns against riding between the vehicle and the kerb. There's no kerb in the footage, the building site has encroached onto the road, narrowing the lane and making it very hard to see indicators, let alone lateral movement at lane-changing.

yeah as going up the inside does generally make it hard to see the indicators at the rear of the vehicle. and regardless of indicators or not it really is a simple equation
or maybe as reported by an eyewitness a phone call was more important than safety.
oh and the big red and white things are acting as a Kerb in this case. or is your next statement going to be " well that doesn't allow for turning so doesn't apply here" where common sense should-

DO NOT GO UP THE INSIDE OF LORRIES BUSES OR COACHES WHERE THE ROAD IS NARROW.

i love the irony too of people saying we need to have segregation but also remove lorries from roads.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Overhead site huts.JPG
Here's how they managed to keep the road clear on Kensington Road at the building site I mentioned in post#13. Sorry, it was two lanes, not four that the giant steel platform spanned. (It's since been taken down).

subaqua

What’s the point
View attachment 80675 Here's how they managed to keep the road clear on Kensington Road at the building site I mentioned in post#13. Sorry, it was two lanes, not four that the giant steel platform spanned. (It's since been taken down).
an innovative solution but not always practical. I would love to build gantries over roads to put accomodation. however as this development didn't come to the road line ( the victoria site has a large excavation and there needed to be a exclusion zone hence the narrowing.

the traffic management could be better on initial view and i dont doubt it has been improved a huge amount form the original plan

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
We simply don't have the infrastructure for slow cyclists. Someone doing 6mph is never going to be safe mixing with regular traffic on a busy narrow road in London.
He/she is not going to be safe here in Glasgow either.
On my fastest bike I cannot do more than 12mph slightly uphill. On my commute I have to ride a short, fast flowing traffic, left turn only lane. More often than not, I take the pavement for the short bit.

Three out of four of this year's London cycling fatalities have been women. The potential danger of left-turning trucks is the same for men. How do men avoid similar dangers on the same roads.
Time to take a serious look at what women do differently that puts them in so much danger.
Is it lack of roadsense
Poor positioning
Lack of experience
Lack of assertiveness and aggression?
More law abiding, ie not pre-empting green lights but waiting patiently for green.
Do they ride bikes with poorer performance, ie heavier, slower to accelerate.
Do women need special training courses to cover this specific lethal situation?

By all means, not all of us are slow coaches, but you have made valid points.
I think more (not special, just the ordinary bikability will do) training is needed.
Lots of women I know - including me - are not into the latest carbon frame for cycling the 5 miles to work, we tend to ride any bike that is simple to maintain and has facilities for carrying the shopping. Utilitarian cycling is slow.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The truck driver has now been summonsed to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 21 October for causing death by careless driving.

GC

Cyclists are more at risk through road works and TFL have specific guidance on this (my bolds):

"Where cyclists are on-carriageway and the speed limit is 30mph or 20mph, it is usually desirable to keep them on carriageway through the roadworks. In this case, a wide lane (minimum width of 4m) enables drivers of all motor vehicles to overtake cyclists with an acceptable clearance.

If a 4m lane width cannot be achieved then, according to advice given in TAL 15/99 Cyclists at Roadworks (1999), a ‘narrow’ lane width of up to 3.25m to 3.50m will enable car drivers to overtake comfortably and will generally deter drivers of larger vehicles from trying to pass at all.

If 3.25m cannot be provided, then a ‘narrow’ lane width of up to 3.25m and a speed limit of 20mph should be considered with signs stating ‘narrow lane(s): do not overtake cyclists’. Lane widths between 3.50m and 4m should normally be avoided as drivers of large vehicles may attempt to overtake cyclists without adequate clearance."

The lane widths in the clip are not easy to estimate - but look around the 3.5m (using the 2.5m wide bus as a guide)...Hopefully, the investigation into this tragedy will examine the lane widths and best practice guidance.

I've just come back from a car journey that involved driving through some roadworks near a level crossing that involve closing one lane, seemingly to enable work on the footway. (Spring Bank West heading to Princes Ave for locals)

There are signs saying "cyclists dismount and follow pedestrian route" helpfully followed by "footpath closed". (I think it's actually a 'footway').

The roadworks are about 100m long, on a stretch where traffic moves slowly at the best of times, as other traffic is usually trying to join from the intersection, and both should be anticipating the crossing barriers coming down as it's a busy stretch of track.

If I was on my bike, I would ignore the information boards, take primary, and no doubt suffer the abuse from drivers. What looks like the pedestrian route, involves crossing the dual carriageway twice and a side road, which in my opinion adds a lot more risk factors, and is unnecessary.

It's on for 4 months, so I reckon a call to highways is in order.

Top Bottom