So I'm in the market for a Ti or Reynolds 953 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Try Sven Cycles based down in Weymouth. They exhibited at Bespoked. Did you visit their stand?
They're making my handbuilt bike.
I had few preliminary chats over the phone with Sven, which gave me a very favourable impression and then went down to visit, spending virtually a whole morning talking over the various options: such infectious enthusiasm and obvious expertise shown, prompted me to place my order there and then.
Can't wait!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
A slight financial fly in the ointment in my quest for a self colour 953 frame, yes Brian Rourke can do it.....but for additional £1k :eek:

RedRider

Pulling through
A slight financial fly in the ointment in my quest for a self colour 953 frame, yes Brian Rourke can do it.....but for additional £1k :eek:
I had the chance to look at a 953 Rourke at the weekend, jeez it was light to pick up. Gorgeous, sparkly black paint job with banding in club colours. No idea how much it cost except it was a "very expensive wedding present".

Would it be cheeky to get the frame made but painted elsewhere? I'd recommend colecoatingsworkshop but they're in London.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
If you want to see some truly stunning paint jobs, have a look HERE Spoilt for choice!!

My current own colour schemed frame is on here, photos 200 to 204

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Well, Im still looking and still pondering, but I've swung back towards a Rourkie 953 again. As much as I can see the benefits of a titanium frame, of course they all look the same in self colour. And to be honest, I do like a bit of colour on a frame and the ability to "make it mine" with a colour scheme of my choice.

Looking at my current 853 Rourkie bike, the most damage is the rear triangle area, chain slap and wheel removal for example. At least with the 953 all the rear triangle is self colour so that eradicates that problem area. The next area for concern is the top tube, damage usually caused by other stacking bikes at café stops. :ohmy: So maybe wrap the top tube, well between the cable lugs with bike shield? I have some of this on my carbon bikes, road and MTB and you don't notice it. Plus it can be removed and leaves residue behind at all.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Enigma paint titanium

Yes I know I have spoken to them about that option. But if I want a custom build and a custom paint job, it gets pretty expensive compared to a 953 of a similar specification

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
While you were gone (6 months) you may have missed this 17 page thread: in-praise-of-titanium-and-spa-cycles

Whilst I may not have contributed on this for the last six months, I have still been exploring and seeking out the "for's" and "against's" on my frame options. That said, yes I did miss that thread. But I've just had a quick look, oh boy....I need to sitting more comfortable before I try to digest that lot!!

Having spoken to a guy on the Engima stand at the show, he said that the best selling Engima Ti frame is made overseas.

Burls frames are made in Russia, from their website - "The reason I chose to use a Russian company to build Burls titanium frames was that after spending some considerable time looking around at various other possibilities (all Chinese or Taiwanese) it became very clear to me that although the Russian offerings weren't the cheapest, their build quality and experience with working with titanium was second to none."

Personally, in cycle terms, I would rather have a frame that was Russian because it was the best than one that was British because it was British.

Does that make me a traitor or a terribly globalised consumer? Probs.

dim

One of my clients has an Enigma Titanium with Di2 .... As far as I understand, it was bespoke built for him based on his measurements. A stunning bike and I'd love to own one.

Just seen this thread!
If anyone is after titanium it would be worth looking at Reilly Cycleworks. My wife has one of theirs and I can't fault it. The build quality is superb. She didn't fit a stock frame so they did a custom one at no extra cost. Mark Reilly is great to deal with - couldn't be more helpfull.
I have a Rourke 953 which I am very pleased with. It is a well proportioned good looking bike which is great to ride. I would not hesitate to use them again. Their prices are reasonable when compared to some other bespoke builders and their bikes are built for use not ornament.
Both these makers are worth considering.

Top Bottom