So I'm in the market for a Ti or Reynolds 953 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I went to the UK Handmade Bicycle Show in Bristol over the weekend, lots of stunningly beautiful bikes on show, but not quite sure why its called the UK Handmade Bicycle Show though, as most of the frame builders seemed to be from overseas?

Anyway, that aside, lots of questions were asked and lots of answers were given and a jolly good day was had by all.

So the quest has started to find a suitable UK frame builder and if merely to fly the flag for the UK industry I'm now leaning towards Reynolds 953 tubing over Ti. That said, I haven't completely dismissed Ti, but I want it made in the UK by a UK frame builder, and NOT measured up at a UK distributor and then made overseas in some sweat shop.

In truth I don't think that I am not looking for anything unusual, a simple slightly more relaxed geometry frame, with mudguard and rack eyelets but in self colour. Maybe go down the disc route at the same time, the jury is still out on that one right now? The reason for self colour is that I'm sick of getting my bike chipped and scratched at café stops, HQs etc so self colour should prove to be more durable and longer lasting over time?

Number one choice is Brian Rourke who has built a number of frames for me over the years and he was my first port of call, just waiting for a call back to discuss possible options.

In the meantime, I've just rung probably the most unhelpful "sales" person in the world at Mercian Cycles. The call went something like this:

Me: Good afternoon, I interested in discussing the purchase of a 953 Audax type frame.

Mr Helpful: What do you want to know?

Me: Well, based on the audax frame you are showing on your website, what sort of cost are we looking at to start with?

Mr Helpful: We haven't got prices right now?

Me: So no idea of any sort of ball park price at all then?

Mr Helpful: No, but should have it in about a months time if you want to call back?

Me: Oh....okay then, do you do or can you do self colour 953 frames?

Mr Helpful: No to much trouble to polish around the lugs.

Me: I see, okay then, what sort of lead time are we talking about?

Mr Helpful: 10 months at least.

A few more one word answers were given to a few more longish questions, and no offer to take my details to maybe call me back, so at which point it was clear that he wasn't really interested or particularly bothered if he sold me a frame or not, so that's them of the list straight away!

On to the next one then?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rourke 953 would be my shortlist of one. Go for it. There is a wait.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Enigma or Burls for Ti?

Having spoken to a guy on the Engima stand at the show, he said that the best selling Engima Ti frame is made overseas.

Burls frames are made in Russia, from their website - "The reason I chose to use a Russian company to build Burls titanium frames was that after spending some considerable time looking around at various other possibilities (all Chinese or Taiwanese) it became very clear to me that although the Russian offerings weren't the cheapest, their build quality and experience with working with titanium was second to none."

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought perhaps mistakenly that Enigma bespoke frames are made in their workshop. Unlike their off the peg range?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Feather Cycles are hand crafted in Yorkshire, they may be able to help.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Just a had great telephone conversation with Gareth at Brian Rourkes about my requirements etc. What an utter and complete contrast to the clown that I spoke to at Mercian.

simon.r

Person
I'm In the early stages of looking at something similar to what you describe and called into Condor Cycles in London a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with their staff, they were happy to talk to me at length and offered a test ride there and then. Not sure where they build their frames though?

I had a similarly poor experience at Mercian a few years ago, over a frame I wanted painting. A shame, because I really like the looks of their frames and they're fairly local to me, but like you I won't deal with an outfit that appears not to be interested in me.

Also, another vote for Enigma. I have one of their standard frames and it's lovely. Like @vickster i have an idea they do their custome builds in the UK, but I'm not entirely sure.

2 frame builders that I have no experience of but have cropped up on my radar are http://www.hartleycycles.com and http://talbotframeworks.co.uk

Let us know what you go for please.

Top Bottom