So I've got a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Due to a family bereavement I've inherited this

IMG_20190515_205016.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it as it isn't the most practical bike when you live in the Peak District

Seems to ride ok. I'll hang onto it and maybe it'll come in handy

Rocky

Hello decadence
Looks nice....congratulations.

I’ve ridden The Way of the Roses on my Brompton and spent many a happy day in the Yorkshire Dales on it. It does get a bit scary going down hill over 35mph. Have fun.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Given the circumstances of me receiving it, selling isn't an option

I'll hang onto it. Never know it may be useful on a holiday
Just regear it for hillage. Even fully loaded with touring gear I’ve ridden mine over some pretty lumpy ground.
They are a bit marmite, but you soon find they are very useful. Mine lives in the back of the car qnd is great for going shopping, holidays etc.

You can join the ranks of the lunatics who tour on them, race them, ride ridiculous distances on them, do their shopping on them, ride to the station, tie streaming behind in the wind, jacket in full on superman pose and anything else you can think of they were probably never meant to do. Not forgetting the hundreds of bling mods, copper plating, fancy carry handles, modded gearing.

Oh you've entered a brave new world outside the comfort zone of decathlon. Given the circumstances of your ownership it deserves it all.

Julia9054

Guru
I have one - bought on a whim - didn't really need it. It certainly makes your legs strong and I have every admiration for people who do big distances on them. It is my indoor bike (lives in the hall) and I mostly use it for popping to the shops when i don't want to change my shoes. I have occasionally been to Manchester on it via the train but tbh, i find it really heavy to carry and it leaves my leg covered in bruises.
I keep it because i love the way it fits together and it makes me smile.
Al won't get one because he thinks they are ridiculous so it is of limited use for trips out together

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've mentioned in other posts that I have fitted a 44 tooth chainring on both my Brompton and my wife's.
It has made the hills so much more manageable and is a ten minute job.

Previous to getting the Brompton my wife's steed was a Roberts tourer, built like a tank to cover the miles. At first she thought the Brompton might be a mistake as it Rode so differently but she persevered and now loves riding saying it's great fun.

A few weeks after getting our Bromptons a friend told us about a local WhatsApp group.
" Brompton Real Ale Society" with about a dozen or so members who will arrange to cycle to local pubs / breweries /Cafe’s for a social meet up on occasion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You can join the ranks of the lunatics who tour on them, race them, ride ridiculous distances on them, do their shopping on them, ride to the station, tie streaming behind in the wind, jacket in full on superman pose and anything else you can think of they were probably never meant to do. Not forgetting the hundreds of bling mods, copper plating, fancy carry handles, modded gearing.

Oh you've entered a brave new world outside the comfort zone of decathlon. Given the circumstances of your ownership it deserves it all.

I met a group of Brompton riders in Holmfirth doing an ultra-hilly 100 mile Peak District ride so it is doable. But I'm bad enough on hills to happily accept all the advantages a standard road bike gives me. Thinking about it, it'll stay in the garage for now. If we go to the seaside for the weekend it can come with us. I always drive the family mad on these hols so going off for a couple of hours is probably good for everyone

JsiDWdiQ7nWRZBSvB1Gfah5pvvyxTmgchHq9wflTzKU-1536x2048.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom