So many gears, pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
21 instead of 3 gears.
Alu instead of steel bolts/nuts/parts.
Carbon instead of alu.
e-assist.
Speed increase not by sports/training but by tech.
Imagine tomorrow a bike weighting 500 grammes costing 500000.
Next week its rider wins Yorkshire Giro.

x x x Searching for "Sports", please wait ... x x x

That was my point, not more, not less.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/so-many-gears-pointless.261633/post-6003119

ebikes, gears, ... they all have points. Just outside sports, that's all. So don't make a strawman of my post - I'm not against ebikes...
105 gears not 21, with a front triple of 42/52/62.
Used as a general bike, because at the time it was my only bike.
Throw away your
inner tubes and tyres, tech to improve speed
Brakes, tech to improve overall speed
Chain

Bike weighing 1lb, wouldn't be allowed in any race due to weight limits. Assuming you could build an entire bike weighing only 1lb, for less than a 7 figure sum.

classic33

Leg End Member
@silva, one I've got my eye on, minus the advertising. E-assist, but I doubt I'd be getting anywhere faster than on a bike on it.

Some bikes are load haulers, which means gears make starting off from a standing start easier. Easier on the rider on a longer ride, when loaded.

I've set the speed cameras off* in a fifty zone, on the Brox, which means the speed was at least 57mph(speed limit 50 + 10% 5 + error of 2, means 57mph at least)

You were given an alternative means of allowing yourself to carry on cycling and you dismissed it out of hand. Most would have at least considered it, just to carry on cycling.

*It was down the central part of this though. Freewheeling, gears useless.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I wouldn't have known what my cadence is on my multi-geared bikes, but it is fairly obvious on my singlespeed because I am always in the same gear and I know what speeds I do. I can just about turn the cranks round at 20 rpm (8% climb, 7 kph). I am happiest doing 80-100 rpm (28-35 kph) and favourite is 90 rpm (31-ish kph). I can do short blasts of 110-120 rpm (37-41 kph) but my legs feel like they are going to fly off, and I need to be going downhill because I can't keep that kind of speed up on the flat for long anyway without a monster tailwind!

PS The numbers are not coincidences... I picked the 52/19 gear ratio to suit my favourite cadence at the maximum speed that I can sustain, and still allow me to climb moderately steep hills.

My cadence is pretty consistent so I can usually know what speed I’m going from the gear I’m in. I have bar end shifters and can equate position with speed. My peak cadence is around 131 rpm but I won’t hold that for long.

a.twiddler

Veteran
@silva, one I've got my eye on, minus the advertising. E-assist, but I doubt I'd be getting anywhere faster than on a bike on it.
View attachment 524083

Some bikes are load haulers, which means gears make starting off from a standing start easier. Easier on the rider on a longer ride, when loaded.

I've set the speed cameras off* in a fifty zone, on the Brox, which means the speed was at least 57mph(speed limit 50 + 10% 5 + error of 2, means 57mph at least)

You were given an alternative means of allowing yourself to carry on cycling and you dismissed it out of hand. Most would have at least considered it, just to carry on cycling.

*It was down the central part of this though. Freewheeling, gears useless.
View attachment 524076
Never mind the e-assist, you must have some serious brakes on that once you get rolling on a good hill!

As for ebikes, not all bicycles are created for the exclusive use of the athletically inclined. There are other types of cyclists. We should consider ourselves fortunate to be among the Temporarily Able Bodied (TABs) and once we become less able, even a run of the mill bike can become a sort of mobility aid, allowing us to go to places we could not easily walk to, and to carry things that we no longer can on foot, letting us keep our minds and bodies active for longer. An ebike is just a logical extension of this, as well as encouraging people who might not otherwise cycle at all.
They are no longer a novelty. I find it hard to understand the hate some have for them. As the technology improves, giving greater range and less weight, maybe even I would consider one at some time in the future.

This thread has strayed hasn't it twiddler?
May return to gears later, but on ebikes, i think hate a strong word. I think some are a bit anti what they see as inappropriate use of the tech, which is a bit of a different point. If i live to need one i am pretty sure i will welcome the tech. Excellent point you make about bikes of all types as a mobility aid.

Sharky

Guru
This thread has strayed hasn't it twiddler?
May return to gears later, but on ebikes, i think hate a strong word. I think some are a bit anti what they see as inappropriate use of the tech, which is a bit of a different point. If i live to need one i am pretty sure i will welcome the tech. Excellent point you make about bikes of all types as a mobility aid.
A few years ago, bikes and mopeds were in the same camp and our "comic" was even called "Cycling and Mopeds". Mopeds were seen as just a motorized bike. As mopeds evolved, they became their own identity and the connection between the two faded. I guess as ebikes get more sophisticated, the same will happen and the two types of transport will diverge.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Never mind the e-assist, you must have some serious brakes on that once you get rolling on a good hill!

As for ebikes, not all bicycles are created for the exclusive use of the athletically inclined. There are other types of cyclists. We should consider ourselves fortunate to be among the Temporarily Able Bodied (TABs) and once we become less able, even a run of the mill bike can become a sort of mobility aid, allowing us to go to places we could not easily walk to, and to carry things that we no longer can on foot, letting us keep our minds and bodies active for longer. An ebike is just a logical extension of this, as well as encouraging people who might not otherwise cycle at all.
They are no longer a novelty. I find it hard to understand the hate some have for them. As the technology improves, giving greater range and less weight, maybe even I would consider one at some time in the future.
A few years ago, we were cycling on one of the (many beautiful) climbs in Spain. A couple, who were easily into their 80s, maybe older, did the same climb too, on electric bikes. It was inspiring to see their continued enjoyment of the bike, and ability to tackle routes that would've been out of reach previously.

a.twiddler

Veteran
A few years ago, bikes and mopeds were in the same camp and our "comic" was even called "Cycling and Mopeds". Mopeds were seen as just a motorized bike. As mopeds evolved, they became their own identity and the connection between the two faded. I guess as ebikes get more sophisticated, the same will happen and the two types of transport will diverge.
Yes, you are right there. There's a world of difference between a 98cc cyclemotor and a modern 50cc automatic scooter moped. No pedals or gears at all on the latter. And it's a motor vehicle with all that entails. How long before the government brings in some convoluted system with illogical exemptions to enforce taxation, insurance, number plates etc on ebikes too? I hope for the best, but fear the worst.

Anyway, enough thread drift, back to cycling and gears in my next post on this thread. A bicycle can be the equivalent of seven league boots for anyone. That was the almost magical thing I found when I got a little bit fit and started cycling any distance. (Back then I defined "a little bit fit" as losing the feeling that I was going to actually die before I reached the summit of whatever hillock I was climbing at the time). All with the appropriate gearing, of course.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Single front ring, 36 tooth... 9 speed rear 12/40 .... climb every mountain ..... what else would i need ?
Well not an engine ...
When the time comes for it i will embrace it ... as my wife has ...
It's a long away for me yet ....
For now i go cycling on my bicycle ... and motorcycling on my motorcycle ...
^_^

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Aside from my fixed (48/18) , I have little idea or interest what gears are on my bikes. I have a 9-speed triple but no idea what the chainrings or cassette is. I have 10-speed and 11-speed bikes, each with 50/34 rings on the front but I can’t remember and don’t care what’s on the back. I just ride!

Top Bottom