So many gears, pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The older i get the more i enjoy freewheeling... why should i do any work when gravity does a perfectly good job? :okay:
Great isn't it. When I first started adult cycling I couldn't understand why the sportier element would pedal downhill. I just love the simple pleasure of the freewheel. With a set of free rolling tyres, the slightest excuse and I'm zizzing along.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chumps and recreational cyclists like the rest of us have no need for 11 gears. 8 is already more than we can handle.
You are either superbly fit or don't cycle up many of these... :whistle:

That bike used to have 2 x 10 gears but THIS recreational chump cyclist struggled up 25% slopes like that so it now has 3 x 10! :laugh:

View attachment 522963

That bike used to have 2 x 10 gears but THIS recreational chump cyclist struggled up 25% slopes like that so it now has 3 x 10! :laugh:
Yes, but it's the size of the largest rear sprocket, not how many companions it has! And that all-important 3rd chainring, natch.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Range of gears is limited by the capacity of one's rear derailleur not the number of sprockets. A larger number of the latter merely allows smaller steps (eg %) between each adjacent gear. A 48-38-28 triple with an 11-30 stays in spec for 'normal' road RDs and offers 25" - 118" gears - a big enough range for road cycling even in hilly country, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Long story short, we don't need that many gears. Professional athletes probably do need them to do their job and earn their bread.

Chumps and recreational cyclists like the rest of us have no need for 11 gears. 8 is already more than we can handle.
agree (I do have an 8 speed I upgraded from 7) but I think 9 speed is handy as you can get a very reasonably priced 12-36 rear cassette for your more loaded bikes. Not sure if you can in 8. Max 34?
7 of course has the advantage of a less dished rear though I don't think you can get the hubs anymore.

7 to 9 on the rear is all most cyclists need I think.

View attachment 522963

been up worse than that on my 21 speed Speed Pro (7 speed cassette plus 3 speed hub gear.

Somewhere I have a pic of it at the bottom - but stashed on the retired PC I think - not immediately available from my chromebooks.

agree (I do have an 8 speed I upgraded from 7) but I think 9 speed is handy as you can get a very reasonably priced 12-36 rear cassette for your more loaded bikes. Not sure if you can in 8. Max 34?
7 of course has the advantage of a less dished rear though I don't think you can get the hubs anymore.

7 to 9 on the rear is all most cyclists need I think.
Exactly this. Ability to get a 12-36t rear is my only reason for going 9-speed.

Exactly this. Ability to get a 12-36t rear is my only reason for going 9-speed.
Tis a thing of wonder isn't it?
I have several 9 speed bikes but only realised that that cassette existed recently when it came already fitted to my Ridgeback Expedition 26inch wheel bike. I have carried a mega amount of junk on that and can I think get up pretty much anything. Costs between £10 and £15 I think.

Or folks could pay pretty much £100 by hopping to chain reaction for a 12 speed Deore (Deore FFS!) cassette.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Tour de France peloton used to use fixed gear, but you don't see Chris Froome riding one of those bikes... :whistle:

Yes, you can get low gears without needing lots of them to choose between. For years, I used 9-speed 14-28 cassettes so I gave up 2 or 3 higher gears to get lower ones. It is quite nice to have some high gears available though for those luxury rides down gentle descents with a tailwind...

Yes, you can get a wide-range cassette without extra gears but then you have big steps between gears, which may not suit.

Ability to get a 12-36t rear is my only reason for going 9-speed.
My 2x10-speed CX bike has a 12-36 cassette on it but I find the steps between the bigger sprockets too big - one gear feels too high, the next down often feels too low.

My 10-speed CAAD5 now has almost the perfect gearing for me after I converted it from a double to a triple chainset. I use a 12-30 cassette (steps between gears not too bad), and 48/36/28 chainrings. The 48/12 top gear is high enough for me 99% of the time, and it doesn't hurt me to freewheel if I am going faster than my spin-out speed of about 60 kph (37 mph). The 28/30 bottom gear is low enough for me 99% of the time, and it doesn't hurt me to walk for a couple of minutes about once a year if I come across a ramp much steeper than 25%. The steps between the rings are nice and tight too. The big ring is small enough to use quite a lot on flat rides (as opposed to my old 53 which was too much like hard work). The middle ring is perfect for most of my riding - I can ride at my normal maximum speed using it, but it can also give me low enough gears that I don't have to resort to the little ring for short steep climbs. The little ring is always available for the terribly steep stuff, or long climbs at 10+%.

Kajjal

Guru
If you ride off road it makes more sense. My MTB has an 11 speed 11-42 cassette and two chain rings at the front. This means in the larger chain ring I can go fast especially downhill. In the small chainring the gearing means I can manage long steep climbs with no problems. To be honest 10 speed is also fine.

On road my bike has an 11-34 cassette which with the 48/32 chainrings will handle anything with no big gaps in the gearing. Gearing is always a personnel preference depending on what suits you best for where you ride.

Top Bottom