So many gears, pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGG on a bike

Since we’re talking gears here, what are peoples views on hub gears?

I’ve been browsing new bikes, not because I need one, but mainly because my trusty steed is a mid 90s rigid mountain bike and I was curious as to what I may be missing out on. I saw a few with Shimano Alfine hubs with variations of 5,8 and 11 speeds with a spread roughly equivalent to the current crop of 1x rear cassettes.

Venod

Eh up

I’ve been browsing new bikes, not because I need one, but mainly because my trusty steed is a mid 90s rigid mountain bike and I was curious as to what I may be missing out on. I saw a few with Shimano Alfine hubs with variations of 5,8 and 11 speeds with a spread roughly equivalent to the current crop of 1x rear cassettes.
The Rohloff is the best hub gear IMO, I had one on a MTB, a fantastic well engineered piece of kit, just a bit heavy compared to a deraileur set up, but no mud problems.

SGG on a bike

I should think they’d be quite well suited to touring bikes too in that case. From what I read, the Shimano gears are compatible spline wise with Sturmey Archer hubs, so I guess they’re very similar in design?

Ha Ha, I am of the same mind.. When folk start talking about Gear Inches, Watts, Cadence and RPM all I hear is blah blah blah :laugh:

I am not knocking anybody for discussing those things though, it is just a bit too in depth for my own interest level. It's always good to know you techy folk are out there though for when I am in need of help :okay:
I assure you that I'm not techie jp - have never sat down and tabulated gear inches for my bikes - has always struck me as a barmy imperial system. The very odd time I have looked at this I used metres development or whatever it's called - I can get my head round that. I just know what works for my non competitive (amateur or pro) riding. I used to have a fast bike - bigring something over 50 at the front but I can only recall one bit of road on the run to brighton where I ever managed to get it in top gear (front and back) - that too was 9 speed.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've ridden an ordinary, so I know what inches feel like ;) .

Checking my track from yesterday I was pedalling downhill at a not terribly high cadence (for me, anyway) and reaching 40mph. That's on a 48x12 top gear. It might be that riding fixed regularly makes a difference.

I’ve just ordered an 11-34 8 speed cassette for my on one inbred mtb which is a triple atm but once the cassette arrives I’m aiming to turn it into a 1x8 for the few times I ride off road I think I’ve only need 3 or 4 gears at most

I’ve just ordered an 11-34 8 speed cassette for my on one inbred mtb which is a triple atm but once the cassette arrives I’m aiming to turn it into a 1x8 for the few times I ride off road I think I’ve only need 3 or 4 gears at most
1x8 has always seemed a good setup for a gettin round london bike (as long as you don't live in one of the rare hilly bits like me) - I think Edinboro Bike Co-Op used to do such a thing before they stopped doing their own bikes.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

That’s a lot of detail for someone who shows no interest.

Fair point. I suppose I know what they’ve got when I buy them and the knowledge then fades (but my memory isn’t so bad it goes completely).

I bought the 9 speed in 1999 so have forgotten that completely. Fixed ratio is in my mind because I’ve been thinking about changing and/or adding a sprocket to make it easier to get myself up hills (it has a flip/flop hub so can be single speed as well as fixed). Decided to just push harder instead!

1x8 has always seemed a good setup for a gettin round london bike (as long as you don't live in one of the rare hilly bits like me) - I think Edinboro Bike Co-Op used to do such a thing before they stopped doing their own bikes.

I live in Wiltshire it’s super hilly so it’s either a low low gear going up then an avg followed by steep downhills so about 4 gears

JPBoothy

Veteran
I assure you that I'm not techie jp - have never sat down and tabulated gear inches for my bikes - has always struck me as a barmy imperial system. The very odd time I have looked at this I used metres development or whatever it's called - I can get my head round that. I just know what works for my non competitive (amateur or pro) riding. I used to have a fast bike - bigring something over 50 at the front but I can only recall one bit of road on the run to brighton where I ever managed to get it in top gear (front and back) - that too was 9 speed.
The only ring/sprocket combo that I know for certain I'm using is on my SS bike (46/17). I didn't use any calculations to arrive at that choice though just trial and error. I started with an 18t sprocket which had my legs spinning too quickly, then dropped to a 16t which I found a bit too hard for my knees if any climbing was required and so finally settled on the 17t which is just about right for me.

Longtime Rohloff user here, so I like them ........ ^_^

The ability to change gear while not pedaling is both a good and bad point. Coming into a junction, you don't need to preselect a gear just in case you stop, but you lose a lot more momentum changing gears going up a hill.
You tend to go further with less maintenance so lower running costs, but when thing go wrong it tends to be more terminal.

Luck ............ ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Longtime Rohloff user here, so I like them ........ ^_^

The ability to change gear while not pedaling is both a good and bad point. Coming into a junction, you don't need to preselect a gear just in case you stop, but you lose a lot more momentum changing gears going up a hill.
You tend to go further with less maintenance so lower running costs, but when thing go wrong it tends to be more terminal.

Luck ............ ^_^
Put the two systems together and you can have the best, and worst, of both worlds.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. Coming into a junction, you don't need to preselect a gear just in case you stop, but you lose a lot more momentum changing gears going up a hill.

With a basic SA 3-speed, you don't have that problem. You just select Low at the bottom of the hill, pedal like fury, and hope for the best.:laugh:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom