So many gears, pointless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Another problem with too many gears is the chain is thinner and therefore wear out sooner. At least that's what I read a few years ago.

I think if you have 8 or 9 speeds, k wouldn't go out of my way to get more but having said that, when climbing strep hills, it's nice to have a smaller change in gear ratio between each gear, but certainly not a requirement.

screenman

Legendary Member
Another problem with too many gears is the chain is thinner and therefore wear out sooner. At least that's what I read a few years ago.

I think if you have 8 or 9 speeds, k wouldn't go out of my way to get more but having said that, when climbing strep hills, it's nice to have a smaller change in gear ratio between each gear, but certainly not a requirement.

Again, it is coming back to how much a person spends. You lot sound like my late dad when I got my first 5 speed in 1967.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Again, it is coming back to how much a person spends. You lot sound like my late dad when I got my first 5 speed in 1967.
My dad says you only need 3 speeds. A few of my friends say single speed is the way to go. I think 8 speeds are fine. Others want more!

I have 10 and 11 speed bikes and while riding on flats or downhills, i usually change 2 or 3 gears at a time but on uphills, I sure appreciate the closer ratios when there are more gears to choose from.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I live in a very flat area and as such two of my bikes are single speed, the Bamboo bike and the Folder, which is my commuter/dogsbody bike. I find a single cog more than sufficient for the road riding around here. However, I also have a Gravel/Adventure/Call it what you will, bike and on here I have a SRAM 1 x 11 set up which runs from 10 - 42 coupled with a 36 tooth chainring up front. It's a great set up and off-road I use the full range of the cassette, wether it's for riding through mud or sand on the 42 tooth cog, or blasting down perfect gravel forest roads in the 10 tooth cog. I've yet to see how it will perform with a fully loaded up bike on an extended off road tour, but I'm hoping it should still perform fine. Looking at a gear Inch table, the top and bottom gears are comparable to the top and bottom of my old 3 x 9 set up on the Dawes.

As for cost, well this is not my day to day bike, so if I end up buying a cassette every so often, then so be it. I can pick up a direct replacement for €80, which whilst not cheap, is a small price to pay for the fun and enjoyment this bike gives me. As for how often I'll need to change it, well don't believe the hype on this one. The current chain on the bike, has over 2000km of muddy and sandy riding, yet the chain wear indicator is still showing barely any stretch over a new one. I'll probably use 3 chains before the cogs need replacement.

Last edited:
Basically, one could say that, assuming close-ratio-ness isn't a must-have,
Don't make a change
Unless needing more range!
Certainly, if I'd been able to get a 12-36t 8-speed, I'd have got that and saved the expense of new shifters. But I couldn't find one...

winjim

Smash the cistern
My dad says you only need 3 speeds. A few of my friends say single speed is the way to go. I think 8 speeds are fine. Others want more!

I have 10 and 11 speed bikes and while riding on flats or downhills, i usually change 2 or 3 gears at a time but on uphills, I sure appreciate the closer ratios when there are more gears to choose from.
With 11sp you're getting close to a continuous transmission. I rarely change only one gear at a time, and with UltraShift, or even PowerShift, my thought process is not 'how many sprockets do I need to change' but rather 'how far do I need to push this lever'.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
With 11sp you're getting close to a continuous transmission. I rarely change only one gear at a time, and with UltraShift, or even PowerShift, my thought process is not 'how many sprockets do I need to change' but rather 'how far do I need to push this lever'.
The point I tried to make a bit further up: the idea that more sprockets on your cassette gives closer ratios is to a certain extent an illusion.

Again looking at a specific, my 8-speed 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28, which has sensible gaps throughout. If I upgraded to a comparable 10-speed, Shimano in their wisdom would give me a 12 and a 14 in addition to what I already have, which to a low-power rider like myself would be little help. An 11-speed would additionally give me a 23 and a 25 in place of the 24, and at times that would be a real help - but at the price of upgrading my entire system to 11-speed. And I would still have the same double tooth gaps throughout the midrange.

I think the counter-argument to this may be that with more sprockets there are more available in the "sweet" range for each chainring. With appropriate choice of rings you should then be able to achieve closer ratios throughout the range. But to take full advantage you'd need to make a lot of simultaneous front/back changes, perhaps?

JPBoothy

Veteran
I live in a very flat area and as such two of my bikes are single speed, the Bamboo bike and the Folder, which is my commuter/dogsbody bike. I find a single cog more than sufficient for the road riding around here. However, I also have a Gravel/Adventure/Call it what you will, bike and on here I have a SRAM 1 x 11 set up which runs from 10 - 42 coupled with a 36 tooth chainring up front. It's a great set up and off-road I use the full range of the cassette, wether it's for riding through mud or sand on the 42 tooth cog, or blasting down perfect gravel forest roads in the 10 tooth cog. I've yet to see how it will perform with a fully loaded up bike on an extended off road tour, but I'm hoping it should still perform fine. Looking at a gear Inch table, the top and bottom gears are comparable to the top and bottom of my old 3 x 9 set up on the Dawes.

As for cost, well this is not my day to day bike, so if I end up buying a cassette every so often, then so be it. I can pick up a direct replacement for €80, which whilst not cheap, is a small price to pay for the fun and enjoyment this bike gives me. As for how often I'll need to change it, well don't believe the hype on this one. The current chain on the bike, has over 2000km of muddy and sandy riding, yet the chain wear indicator is still showing barely any stretch over a new one. I'll probably use 3 chains before the cogs need replacement.
It is more about simplicity than cost to me (honest :whistle:) which is why I ditched my 3x* set-up because, I always seemed to be having to tinker around to stop any rub on the front mech. The introduction of a 1x* set-up has always had my interest as a potential future 'simplistic' purchase and I'm always interested the opinions of real users (like yourself) rather than that of the marketing people. I am not a fast rider and tend to ride my CX bikes on the road at no more than 20mph using mainly the 36t up front. Do you think a 1x* would suit me ? To be honest, I think I am confusing the word simple with the word lazy, as pottering about on my SS with no chain slap or additional noise from a derailleur is music to my ears but obviously has its limited use.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Having made the jump from 8 spd to 11, I'm struggling to see the massive benefit of having more, can someone enlighten me? Both cassettes were of a similar range (11-26) I still don't use the smaller end apart from stopping spin out on drops. Even then, never 11t. Gear changes are smooth but the difference is not really perceptible and 26t to the next one down still goes as CLUNK as ever

Thanks for an interesting thread - enjoyed it a lot.
As many here have said, I've found the closer ratios of more sprockets (within the same range) are beneficial for faster group riding on the roads, or long days out in the mountains.
It helps keep your cadence around the same rpm. For me, this makes your legs less tired, as the larger gaps in the gears are disruptive - you'll feel that the next sprocket is too high or too low, and your muscles will tell you about it!
Having said that, my road bike is still running Campagnolo 10 speed (from 8 speed) - it works flawlessly and I'm happy with the range of gearing.

...but, in my experience, that's the only benefit. Parts are more expensive and chains don't last as long. People have also said that 11 & 12 speed set ups need more adjustment.

The majority of my cycling is not on the road bike - so, the close ratios & cadence don't matter. I like single speeds, Sturmey Archer 3 speeds, and the classic 2 x 5 derailleurs of older bikes.

My everyday bike (shopping, commuting, etc) has 3 x 8 with a smaller MTB chainset. It's a great set up and I wouldn't change it. The inner ring of the triple allows very low gears without the need for a 'dinner plate' cassette. Parts are less expensive, chains have lasted well. For the many people who may not be in the privileged postion to have money to spend, it's a consideration.

As the posts in this thread show, everyone's different: someone's progress is another's unnecessary.
The love of the bike is the one thing we can agree on.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Thanks for an interesting thread - enjoyed it a lot.
As many here have said, I've found the closer ratios of more sprockets (within the same range) are beneficial for faster group riding on the roads, or long days out in the mountains.
It helps keep your cadence around the same rpm. For me, this makes your legs less tired, as the larger gaps in the gears are disruptive - you'll feel that the next sprocket is too high or too low, and your muscles will tell you about it!
Having said that, my road bike is still running Campagnolo 10 speed (from 8 speed) - it works flawlessly and I'm happy with the range of gearing.

...but, in my experience, that's the only benefit. Parts are more expensive and chains don't last as long. People have also said that 11 & 12 speed set ups need more adjustment.

The majority of my cycling is not on the road bike - so, the close ratios & cadence don't matter. I like single speeds, Sturmey Archer 3 speeds, and the classic 2 x 5 derailleurs of older bikes.

My everyday bike (shopping, commuting, etc) has 3 x 8 with a smaller MTB chainset. It's a great set up and I wouldn't change it. The inner ring of the triple allows very low gears without the need for a 'dinner plate' cassette. Parts are less expensive, chains have lasted well. For the many people who may not be in the privileged postion to have money to spend, it's a consideration.

As the posts in this thread show, everyone's different: someone's progress is another's unnecessary.
The love of the bike is the one thing we can agree on.
Absolutely right, each to their own and with no judging.. You like what you like end of :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
It is more about simplicity than cost to me (honest :whistle:) which is why I ditched my 3x* set-up because, I always seemed to be having to tinker around to stop any rub on the front mech. The introduction of a 1x* set-up has always had my interest as a potential future 'simplistic' purchase and I'm always interested the opinions of real users (like yourself) rather than that of the marketing people. I am not a fast rider and tend to ride my CX bikes on the road at no more than 20mph using mainly the 36t up front. Do you think a 1x* would suit me ? To be honest, I think I am confusing the word simple with the word lazy, as pottering about on my SS with no chain slap or additional noise from a derailleur is music to my ears but obviously has its limited use.
Someone told me once that a certain company introduced 1x front ring because their dual chainring gear change was pathetic, so they directed it and marketed the heck out of it.

Top Bottom