So many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leemi1982

Hi just wondered how often people get punctures, I seem to be forever getting them and seem to have to rotate which bike I use due to punctures.

I went to get my trek out shed yesterday only to find it had a puncture while my specialized was in bike shop having back wheel fixed..

luckily bike shop phoned me and said my specialized was ready in the afternoon went straight out on it only to find out this morning that had now punctured.. so now have 2 bikes with punctures….
This seems to happening a lot even the bike shop said he had checked tyre pressure..

Soooo annoying

I presume you have checked for something stuck in the tyre?
I had some glass in the tread once - couldn't see it or feel it because it was so small - but when the tyre deformed a sharp ednge jjust came out enough to cut the inner tube - and my finger as it happened!

Since then I have had very few (he said touching wood) partly due to puncture resistant tyres and new tubes from the LBS
and keeping the tyre pressures up to the max it says on the tyre wall

vickster

Legendary Member
I haven’t had one for a couple of years at least, maybe more I can’t actually recall (it may even have been much longer ago than that, thanks to a 1inch+ nail!). I do 2.5-3.5k mainly dry road miles a year (mainly on 25/28mm normal tyres (ie not M+) at around 100psi as I’m not the lightest!).
I’ve probably cursed myself now :wacko:

Hi just wondered how often people get punctures, I seem to be forever getting them and seem to have to rotate which bike I use due to punctures.

I went to get my trek out shed yesterday only to find it had a puncture while my specialized was in bike shop having back wheel fixed..

luckily bike shop phoned me and said my specialized was ready in the afternoon went straight out on it only to find out this morning that had now punctured.. so now have 2 bikes with punctures….
This seems to happening a lot even the bike shop said he had checked tyre pressure..

Soooo annoying

I seem to average one a decade. As others have said, check things like debris in the tyre and also damaged rim tape on the wheel. I recommend "puncture proof" tyres if they're suitable for the cycling you do.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I get one or two each year riding around 3000 miles annually. Most common for me are snake-bite after hitting a pothole or debris.

I tried Marathon+ and hated them, heavy and draggy. Took much of the joy out of cycling. Now I try to be philosophical about it.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had a couple of pinch punctures thanks to our quality road surfaces.

2 last weekend on one 30mile ride, but in all fairness the hedges had just been cut so there was debris all over the road, the 2nd was funny as I couldn’t get the rear wheel off for ages, I struggled to unseat the tyre, and struggled getting the new tube in, it was a comedy master class.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I use Continental All Seasons tyres on 100 psi and have very few punctures, may be one every two years. I never ride close to the edge of the road and read the tarmac in front of me so as to avoid any debris, potholes etc... Seems to be working so far. I always carry two new tubes with me too, just in case.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I always carry one spare tube and a repair kit.

I always carry two new tubes with me too, just in case.
I always carry one spare tube and a repair kit.

That's what stops punctures: the day you stop schlepping a backup with you is the day you get a puncture, in the same way that washing a bike causes rain and and putting spiked tyres on your bike results in two weeks of dry sunny weather in January.

Last edited:
I have a M++ on the front and a Continental Ride Tour Extra on the back
The COntinental has had several punctures (hence the M++ on the front) - but not recently so it may have been a dodgy tube and the bit of glass that I mentioned before

Of course - the farmers and councils have been cutting hedges recently so I don;t expect to get away with it forever!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If you're getting that many it's near certain there's something sharp embedded in the tyre which is causing the issue. Always check as carefully as you can, both visually and by running your finger over the inside of the tyre, that's there's no glass, thorn or other item lodged.

My procedure:

1) using the levers, take the tyre off one side of the rim only.

2) pull the inner tube out, but leave it attached by the valve.

3) pump up in situ and find the hole.

4) check the tyre adjacent to the hole. If you can't find what's caused it check again. And again. And again.

5) check all round the rest of the tyre, inside and out, just to be sure.

6) replace or repair tube.

Top Bottom