So many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
So basically you are saying that it is impossible for you to benefit from it because any benefits will gain you less than the time you spend on general maintenance?

I must admit, I don't understand how many of the people on here seem t have so few punctures. Until I put the marathon+ on my hybrid, I had never had a time where I was averaging more than a few hundred miles between punctures. And at the worst, it was averaging around 1 per hundred miles.
I run Conti GP 4 Seasons. Before May, I had GP 5Ks, and was getting a puncture virtually every ride.

Since changing, I haven't had one. Not one, in 1500 miles now.
1634117070807.png

And no, it's not all been on nice smooth roads. There's got to be getting on for 50 miles of gravel in the mix there.
Capture.JPG

Alex321

Veteran
I run Conti GP 4 Seasons. Before May, I had GP 5Ks, and was getting a puncture virtually every ride.

Since changing, I haven't had one. Not one, in 1500 miles now.

I had similar on my previous bike - was getting punctures roughly once a week, then switched to marathon+ tyres, and only had one in the next 2000 miles+

Then with the new bike, shod with conti grandrace it was back to frequent punctures. I didn't fancy putting the marathon+ on that, given how everybody says it makes the ride more dead (on my previous bike it was a hybrid and I was runnninhg 38mm tyres, so it didn't make too much difference - this one is a road bike with 28mm).

I could have tried a different puncture resistant tyre, but thought I'd try the tubeless.

GuyBoden

Guru
Vote for schwalbe marathons. Never had a puncture on them. Average about 6000 miles per year.
I think the top tread on Vittoria randonneur tyres are thicker than Marathon+ and are there fore less prone to punctures in the top tread of the tyre. The side walls of the Marathon+ offer better protection, so swings and roundabouts.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I reckon the most common reason for persistent punctures are things stuck in the tyre. I recently had a whole slew of punctures on a trip to the IOW. At the campsite I stayed at I carefully examined the tyre. I did the usual thing of sliding my finger around the inside of the tyre to check for sharp objects (BTW, that cotton wool suggestion is a good idea); there was nothing obvious.

Additionally, I went over the whole outside of the tyre looking for cracks in the rubber surface. When I found one I would squeeze the crack apart. Quite a few times I found small bits of flint and glass lodged in these cracks. I remove them with tweezers (or similar). I think if you do this on a regular basis I will help.

Over time, other sharp objects will obviously get added but a regular check prevents them working their way down into the tyre.

edit: I also recommend Schwalbe Marathon and similar puncture protected tyres. For cheaper tyres I recommend tyre liners. I've been really impressed with tyre-liners over the years. I do not notice any difference in ride quality but horses for courses I suppose.
(these are what I use. I have been really happy with them)

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I reckon the most common reason for persistent punctures are things stuck in the tyre. I recently had a whole slew of punctures on a trip to the IOW. At the campsite I stayed at I carefully examine the tyre. I did the usual thing of sliding my finger around the inside of the tyre to check for sharp objects (BTW, that cotton wool suggestion is a good idea); there was nothing obvious.

Additionally, I went over the whole outside of the tyre looking for cracks in the rubber surface. When I found one I would squeeze the crack apart. Quite a few times I found small bits of flint and glass lodged in these cracks. I remove them with tweezers (or similar). I think if you do this on a regular basis I will help.

Over time, other sharp objects will obviously get added but a regular check prevents them working their way down into the tyre.
This, checking for and removing flint / glass etc and having a tyre with a decent kelvar belt protection in it work. The protection stops the flint instantly puncturing the tube and you remove it before it has a chance to work its way through. tubeless tyres tend to forego much of the kelvar protection etc relying on the sealant to do its job. I'm not convinced tubeless offers much in the road bike world on sub 28mm tyres. too much pressure is needed to hold a reasonable tyre shape so tyre is less likely to re-seal. its a system more suited to wider tyres / off road riding pressures.

On a decent road bike, I wouldnt weigh / slow it down with marathon plus's, but conti 4 season have been good for me, you get what you pay for.

boydj

Legendary Member
:ohmy: When commuting I would go months without a puncture, and I was doing ~200miles a week.

Same here, on a road bike, bit lower mileage. Good quality tyres - Conti GP 4-Seasons, 28mm - kept at the correct pressure, and checked weekly for flints etc. Don't cycle in the gutter - ride in the nearside wheel track of the motorised traffic.

si_c

Guru
Same here, on a road bike, bit lower mileage. Good quality tyres - Conti GP 4-Seasons, 28mm - kept at the correct pressure, and checked weekly for flints etc. Don't cycle in the gutter - ride in the nearside wheel track of the motorised traffic.
Pretty much the same, road bike, good tyres, but not race tyres - either Bontrager AW2 (which I highly rate for all weather riding) or Vittoria Zaffiro Pro (same).

Take a strong secondary position (usually 2-3ft as per HC recommendations) as it helps avoid the crap that gets floated to the side. Tyres checked when cleaned (usually every couple of weeks) and replaced when the tread had worn, sadly the latter sometimes meant when the casing was showing as using mudguards hid the wear from the casual eye.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I rarely get any, and I think I've only ever had a flat once or twice on the full suspension in 5 years.

That said, I'm now commuting two days a week on the canal, and in the last month I've been averaging a flat every other ride - the hedgrows on the canal have all been trimmed and there are thorns everywhere - I patched 3 tubes today.

I'll be moving over to winter tyres but that's a few weeks away, and the current tyres are cheap Decathlon 'MTB' tyres. I've just spied some Marathon XR tyres on ebay that I'm going to bit on - chunky tread for the muddy canal path.

overmind

I rarely get any, and I think I've only ever had a flat once or twice on the full suspension in 5 years.

That said, I'm now commuting two days a week on the canal, and in the last month I've been averaging a flat every other ride - the hedgrows on the canal have all been trimmed and there are thorns everywhere - I patched 3 tubes today.

I'll be moving over to winter tyres but that's a few weeks away, and the current tyres are cheap Decathlon 'MTB' tyres. I've just spied some Marathon XR tyres on ebay that I'm going to bit on - chunky tread for the muddy canal path.
Get some tyre liners. They are fantastic.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Z-Li...term=4578366468428058&utm_content=Inner Tubes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

overmind

I assume they have improved over the years. Used to have some in my road bike man many years ago. Didn't win the bid on the tyres on ebay, so might get these as a stop gap.

I used some on a commuter bike and did not get a puncture in over 2 years. The only possible downside I can think of is that the rider may not like the feel of the ride with tyre liner; but for me I did not notice any difference.

I wrote a thread about it several years ago. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/in-praise-of-tyre-liners.230726/

I've since put some on my son's bike (he also commutes) and he has been very happy also. I reckon they are reusable (when the tyre is worn out just transfer to the next tyre). I do not think the manufacturer recommend this but if it works then why not. The advantages of 2nd use is that over time they mold into the shape of the tyre. This makes it extremely easy to fit the 2nd time as it just kind of slots into the new tyre.

Last edited:
Top Bottom