So much dangerous driving out there!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I went out on a ride last night and the amount of dangerous driving I was subjected to was even worse than normal. I had three or four cars behind me on a narrow bend, and every single one decided to overtake. Of course, they all met cars coming the other way, and cut me up to avoid the oncoming traffic. This happened four times in succession. Another car nearly ploughed into me when I was going around a roundabout because he simply wasn't looking properly. I know this gets covered so much but it's so frustrating! Why can't drivers just wake up and think cyclist? Most drivers seriously need educating.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've never seen you ride so I can't comment but I do wonder how many incidents are caused by cyclists' riding style and road position. I guess it's easy for me to pontificate because I only ride in a reasonably moneyed rural area, the Ribble Valley and Bowland Fells, where drivers are accustomed to cyclists, usually drive decent cars, are often out for a day's sightseeing and usually treat us with care. It's noticeable that the closes passes and rude gestures mostly come from beaten-up vans or chavved up economy hatches being driven too fast. But having been a motorcyclist for 12 years I ride my bike in a manner that asserts my right to road space and that includes riding with respect to car drivers, i.e. make myself visible, assert my position but make it clear I've seen them and am aware of my slower speed. This means acknowledging their presence and singling out or moving over to allow them to pass when it's safe for me and my pals. I always thank drivers who have waited patiently and most pass wide with a pip or a wave. Nothing infuriates a driver more than a cyclist or slow-moving vehicle who makes no effort to allow them past.

However if you have no choice but to ride on busy A and B roads that are used as commuter rat-runs I guess you are seeing drivers at their most stressed and distracted.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've never seen you ride so I can't comment but I do wonder how many incidents are caused by cyclists' riding style and road position. I guess it's easy for me to pontificate because I only ride in a reasonably moneyed rural area, the Ribble Valley and Bowland Fells, where drivers are accustomed to cyclists, usually drive decent cars, are often out for a day's sightseeing and usually treat us with care. It's noticeable that the closes passes and rude gestures mostly come from beaten-up vans or chavved up economy hatches being driven too fast. But having been a motorcyclist for 12 years I ride my bike in a manner that asserts my right to road space and that includes riding with respect to car drivers, i.e. make myself visible, assert my position but make it clear I've seen them and am aware of my slower speed. This means acknowledging their presence and singling out or moving over to allow them to pass when it's safe for me and my pals. I always thank drivers who have waited patiently and most pass wide with a pip or a wave.

However if you have no choice but to ride on busy A and B roads that are used as commuter rat-runs I guess you are seeing drivers at their most stressed and distracted.
I try to ride as you describe but the problem I find people will overtake anyway when you're riding in primary.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where do you ride, mostly? Quiet country roads or semi-urban feeders, trunk roads and rat-runs? I do know that if I venture over into the Manchester conurbation I'm riding in survival mode on congested roads that date from the 1700s and 1800s and weren't designed for modern traffic.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Where do you ride, mostly? Quiet country roads or semi-urban feeders, trunk roads and rat-runs?
All four normally at some point, last night's dangerous driving was on a country road that's fairly busy. I find busy A roads safer in some ways as drivers have more room.

MikeonaBike

I've never seen you ride so I can't comment but I do wonder how many incidents are caused by cyclists' riding style and road position. I guess it's easy for me to pontificate because I only ride in a reasonably moneyed rural area, the Ribble Valley and Bowland Fells, where drivers are accustomed to cyclists, usually drive decent cars, are often out for a day's sightseeing and usually treat us with care. It's noticeable that the closes passes and rude gestures mostly come from beaten-up vans or chavved up economy hatches being driven too fast. But having been a motorcyclist for 12 years I ride my bike in a manner that asserts my right to road space and that includes riding with respect to car drivers, i.e. make myself visible, assert my position but make it clear I've seen them and am aware of my slower speed. This means acknowledging their presence and singling out or moving over to allow them to pass when it's safe for me and my pals. I always thank drivers who have waited patiently and most pass wide with a pip or a wave. Nothing infuriates a driver more than a cyclist or slow-moving vehicle who makes no effort to allow them past.

Yes, you pontificate too much; what a pompous, holier-than-thou comment.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It seems to depend on the day / weather / etc.

On Monday I was threatened to be run over simply because I was waiting at a set of lights ahead of a car in the ASL = I'd be setting off first. :wacko:

rugby bloke

Veteran
I'm not normally one to get involved in arguments with dickheads in cars .. but on my commute on Monday there was a piece of driving that sets a new level even for London. Waiting in the cycle box at a set of lights waiting to turn right onto Grey's Inn Road. A Porsche then deliberately drives into the box, As there a number of cyclists there he had to have his off side wheels over the centre line in order to squeeze in. I tapped on his window and was going to engage in a full and frank debate when the lights changed and off he went.
Justice was done as its a lot quicker to cycle down Grey's Inn Road than drive in the rush hour and I was comfortably ahead of him by the time I reached the Holborn lights.
I was just amazed at the level of arrogance and entitlement.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I'm not a wimp, I don't moan just for the sake of it, and far be it from me to be some sort of helmet-cam vigilante. It's hard to say nothing though when your safety is threatened day in and day out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If I wasn't one myself I'm certain I would hate cyclists; if I drive into Manchester I see shockingly bad cycling; aggressive, discourteous, dangerous, law-breaking and even a small minority who swan around in the dark wearing black hoodies, no lights, almost daring drivers to take issue with them. As a cyclist I dismiss them as idiots on bikes but if I was an ignorant driver I'm sure I would tar every cyclist with the same brush of "idiot".

Debade

Über Member
Entering this conversation seems a bit dangerous. In my experience, cyclists have not spent the time to learn the best approach for their safety. I expect there are youtubes about best approaches for safe riding in Europe. I like this one which is from the States but I think most if not all applies http://www.bostonbikes.org/urbancycling/

The other thing that I feel makes streets safer, when divided bike paths are not available, is more cyclists. When we are not expected, we seem to anger motorists perhaps because we present a delay but we are a surprise that could end badly, for them and especially for us. They will not be watching our cycling tapes and driver education has little if any training for sharing the road, so their skills for road sharing will progress slowly. If this is a reasonable argument, we should be working with NGOs and others that are trying to increase the number of cyclists and infrastructure. If you are not doing that now, you may want to consider at minimum making a donation and better yet, supporting their efforts. Safe bet there is an organization working to improve bicycling near you.

I'd say most drivers are good, a few are bad and a very small minority of them are malicious or just don't care, mostly the latter and sometimes you have good days and sometimes you have bad days but it's good to come on here and get it off your chest.

Top Bottom