So much progress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LabRatt

Hi, how are you? So much has happened since last we spoke. (This isn't a misdirected email by the way, it's to the whole forum. I'm just phrasing it funny)

Remember how anti-cycling (for safety concerns) the little one (my other half) was? Well, we started planning a holiday and I suggested it'd be nice to take bikes with us - just plugging away little by little. She agreed!

So we went to Decathlon so she could see the kind of thing available, and she loved it. Riding various bikes around the store and giggling like a little girl. I'd already introduced her to the Great Helmet Debate when we were talking about how dangerous (not) cycling is, but I got the opportunity to strengthen my case when she said she wouldn't wear a helmet for rollerblading. Anyway, moving on...

As time passed she got more interested, remembering how she used to enjoy it and thinking of the exercise benefits. Maybe she could cycle to work...

Last Tuesday I got myself a bike - a second hand and well cared for Felt F1X cyclocross. As we were leaving for our holiday on Thursday we made another trip to Decathlon on Wednesday evening were she plumped for a basic Rockrider 5.1 with twisty shifters - she had the option of anything else, but decided to keep it cheap and basic for her first bike. I tried to persuade her away from mountain bikes and suspension, but she wouldn't budge.

Thursday came, I borrowed a bike rack from someone at work (fitting it was fun) and we loaded up two bikes for the drive to Worcestershire, though we didn't get out on them until Saturday. It was great when we did though.

My bike is light as a feather and quick! The gearing might be a little light (36/46, 11-25) for a CX bike but it's fine for me for the moment, though I might consider swapping the 25 for something larger to help on hills, I'll have to see how I go as I get more practice. The brifters take a little getting used to, and using the gears properly is another learning curve, but I'm loving it. And Lauren's loving hers, twice the weight of mine despite being extra small and aluminium framed. She gradually got the hang of changing gear, though I think she still tries to change too quickly.

We took two rides on the lanes around our B&B while we were away. Pausing at the top of a steep hill on the first time out a guy coming the other way (up the hill) called out "You can't stop there, that's the fun bit!" and it was. Second time out My Tracks on my 'phone clocked me at nearly 30mph on the way down, which I know is nothing to you lot but was a hell of a rush (felt more like about 90) and I bottled half way down and used the brakes. I had a bit of a scare when I got to the bottom and looked back to see Lauren wobbling on her descent - thought I was going to have to pick her out to the bushes and put the bike on eBay - but she held it and was laughing as she passed.

A great holiday with little but fun cycling. As a driver I saw more cyclists than I remember encountering in the countryside before, most of whom met my careful passes/holding back with thanks. Other drivers (though a tiny minority) seemed more reckless around me in the car than on the bike, and on the whole looked to be as careful of the cyclists I passed as I was. And Lauren's looking forward to getting out a bit more and ultimately riding to work. Yay! Once the bug gets in your brain you can't fight it, it seems.

A word on my bike. I think this is the model that was recalled in the US because of problems with the forks, though I believe it's been checked out carefully by the previous owner. As it's second hand my next step is anyway to take it to the LBS for a thorough check-up before I start giving it any heavy use.

I really wish I could get my mrs out on her bike, bought it for her three years ago and been used once! Although I do love the peace and quiet of a lone ride!!!

Top Bottom