So much to learn for such a basic thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A bicycle is a very simple machine really but the art of riding one can be so complex. First, you need to be able to control your balance at all speeds and road conditions. Then, the gears: which one to use according to road elevation, what clothes to wear for comfort in all weathers, be prepared for basic road repairs like punctures and chain problems, what cadence to use for better efficiency and energy saving. These are just a few things we all had to learn over time and the biggest one of all is : resisting the urge to spend huge sums of money on things we think we need or shiny new machines we think will make us faster or give us better street creed.
Like I said at the beginning, a bicycle is a very simple machine that was designed to make personal transportation cheap, fast and reliable . It is a wonderful machine.

You're doing a bit much thinking, Descartes.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
but the art of riding one can be so complex.

That's so true. Riding a bike is possible for almost anyone,but riding it well and safely isn't. I've often thought about buying a Lambretta or a Vespa scooter (must be a middle aged crisis thing) but left it at the think stage. Yes i could buy one and ride it around,but i don't think at my age it'd be worth learning from experience and mistakes how to ride one properly. If someone my age(57)said to me they were thinking of taking up road cycling having only ridden a mountain bike or a hybrid bike in a park or on the canal path i'd say don't,you're too old to learn from experience. By the time you'll have taken it in you'll have had countless offs a few broken bones and be about 80 years old.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
l am not so sure about cheap fast and reliable. You are only allowed two out of the three.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All true. And you could have mentioned that it is the most efficient form of transport (miles covered for calories consumed).
True I didn't but maybe it is because you could argue that the most efficient form of transport is the one we are all born with: your legs and feet.

IBarrett

Über Member
Then you need to learn which car drivers are the biggest ##### on the road.

In reverse order

3) audi
2) any convertible
1) Audi convertable
Blimey. I have a Merc convertible and Mrs.B has an Audi A5
We must be a right pair of cyclist hating wa###rs!

Actually, I’ve had many a heated discussion with Mrs.B about cyclists as she really doesn’t like us. So maybe you’re 33,1/3% correct about our house

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blimey. I have a Merc convertible and Mrs.B has an Audi A5
We must be a right pair of cyclist hating wa###rs!

Actually, I’ve had many a heated discussion with Mrs.B about cyclists as she really doesn’t like us.:ohmy: So maybe you’re 33,1/3% correct about our house
Why doesn't she like cyclists? Don't tell me,we don't pay 'road tax', we're not insured, and we jump red lights etc etc.:rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Fragmented drops of bicycle
Retract, reflect light through clear prisms
Bend spectrum delights.
Silver shot chainset
Hangs high in the sky
Radiating light to be reflected.
Rain drops drop down as I reach home on my Brompton,
Cozy with warm clothes and hot tea,
No need to move around.

Does that sort of thing sum up todays warm fuzzy feeling?

C R

Guru
Fragmented drops of bicycle
Retract, reflect light through clear prisms
Bend spectrum delights.
Silver shot chainset
Hangs high in the sky
Radiating light to be reflected.
Rain drops drop down as I reach home on my Brompton,
Cozy with warm clothes and hot tea,
No need to move around.

Does that sort of thing sum up todays warm fuzzy feeling?
It wasn't warm and fuzzy at seven thirty this morning, took the wrong gloves, but that's my own fault.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The OP forgot that such a simple instrument could generate such heated arguments as:

Shimano vs Campagnolo
Schwalbe vs Continental
Helmet vs fresh h(air)

Top Bottom