So my friend has bought a new bike [conclusion]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Its the 'Tifosi Andare Road Disc Tiagra Road Bike'

He paid 1.1k which is bad value seeing as it's only Tiagra groupset though it's still a carbon frame.

Ive tried to help him find better bikes both new and second hand but hes stubborn and thinks he knows bikes because he goes to loads of bike shows and has been cycling longer than i have.

Hes not tried the bike out but hes 'tried a similar one' so he's put an order in for the Andare.

I tried to help him so much to find him a good deal but there's no talking to him.

He'll be riding the bike with me on the Dynamo so he's not really give himself time to get used to the bike

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps the bike suits him and feels just so? Bling and spec is nice, but isnt automatically indicative of a good bike - chrome don't get you home.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Perhaps the bike suits him and feels just so? Bling and spec is nice, but isnt automatically indicative of a good bike - chrome don't get you home.

True that. Im just saying he paid over the odds for what that bikes worth.

Ive passed on so many preowned bike offers from CycleChat that were better not to mention £200-300 cheaper.

He plans to make this bike his daily commuter so at least parts will be cheap to replace.

Only 10 speed though... Thats another thing

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe HE likes it. Isn't that what matters. As above it's not just about spec

I'm sure I could get a Ti bike cheaper/better specced than the one I'm considering but I don't care. I really like and want to own that one :smile: that's what matters to me and defines 'worth'

How do you measure a bike's worth?

Personally, I wouldn't want a used carbon frame even if it is cheaper

Diddly difference between 10 Speed and 11 speed esp on a London commute. One gear would be plenty for most ;)

The red detailing looks good on the Tifosi, Shame about the black :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Maybe im just particular about the components on my bike. I cant help being OCD about it. But i agree. If it rides well and he's happy with it then thats what matters.

Its still bad value though lol

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Maybe HE likes it. Isn't that what matters. As above it's not just about spec

I'm sure I could get a Ti bike cheaper/better specced than the one I'm considering but I don't care. I really like and want to own that one :smile: that's what matters to me and defines 'worth'

How do you measure a bike's worth?

Personally, I wouldn't want a used carbon frame even if it is cheaper

Diddly difference between 10 Speed and 11 speed esp on a London commute. One gear would be plenty for most ;)

The red detailing looks good on the Tifosi, Shame about the black :whistle:
I gotta agree with pretty much all that post :smile:
My new bike i could have got better spec maybe but on the payment i was allowed ( by mrs ck or the boss ) it was the best bet and i liked it .
i wouldnt like to use carbon to commute given works bike rack, my propensity for falling off ;)

davidphilips

Veteran
Tiagra groupsets work very well and are perhaps as good as a 105 groupset from a few years ago, as bits wear out (it may take a wile as tiagra are good) your friend can always replace/upgrade the groupset.

The frame is the second most important bit on a bike and as long as he likes it and it fits him he should have many miles/smiles per pound.

Most important bit on a bike is the engine and if the rest of the bike starts the engine and keeps it going then perhaps its money well spent.

Drago

Legendary Member
Like my relatively humble Felt, if it fits and feels just so it'll be as nice to ride as any bike at any price, and some are happy to pay for a bike that suits them so sweetly.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
His money, his choice really. If you've offered what you feel is good advice, and he's decided not to take it, there isn't much more you can do other than go out together and enjoy your respective bikes. :okay:

I know but its a feeling that won't stop nagging away at me at the moment. Im sure it's a nice bike

Top Bottom