So my friend has bought a new bike [conclusion]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
In your opinion. Which may not be correct.

Compare the price of his tifosi to the higher tier AF range from decathlon.... For less money you can still have a carbon bike that comes with better components.

But ok. Maybe i just dont know my stuff about bikes.

Just one example...

B'TWIN TRIBAN 560 CARBON

Its £799, has a Carbon Frame and it comes with Tiagra but saying that, even my previous generation 540 was about £600-700 new and it came with a mishmash of 105... Not perfect I know but it wasnt completely all Tiagra.

This isnt the ONLY case of people paying for a 'brand name' that I have seen. There are quite a few mainstream brands out there that have people paying over the odds to competitors or slightly lesser competitors and i did a lot of looking around for my friend when trying to find a bike for him.

Last edited:

Will Spin

Über Member
Chill, and just be happy riding behind him.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I am chill. But people assume i dont know stuff
How do you know your cube frame is better than his tifosi frame.....

If he paid 4k for a dogma f10 and sora groupset, would you still think your cube is better value cause his groupset is lower than yours???

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
How do you know your cube frame is better than his tifosi frame.....

If he paid 4k for a dogma f10 and sora groupset, would you still think your cube is better value cause his groupset is lower than yours???

I dont, because we're not debating the frame. we're debating the Components that came with the frame

vickster

Legendary Member
Compare the price of his tifosi to the higher tier AF range from decathlon.... For less money you can still have a carbon bike that comes with better components.

Or maybe just not why someone may choose to buy a particular bike even if another may have what reviewers or marketeers perceive to be better parts? There are emotional reasons for purchase, alongside the rational. Not to mention the part that the purchase experience may play...and branding. Complex innit :smile:

jowwy

I dont, because we're not debating the frame. we're debating the Components that came with the frame
Some higher price frames come with lower end groupsets to keep the price down.........so maybe he got a higher spec frame than your cube, therefore lower spec groupo to keep the price down

vickster

Legendary Member

Just one example...

B'TWIN TRIBAN 560 CARBON

Its £799, has a Carbon Frame and it comes with Tiagra but saying that, even my previous generation 540 was about £600-700 new and it came with a mishmash of 105... Not perfect I know but it wasnt completely all Tiagra.

This isnt the ONLY case of people paying for a 'brand name' that I have seen. There are quite a few mainstream brands out there that have people paying over the odds to competitors or slightly lesser competitors and i did a lot of looking around for my friend when trying to find a bike for him.
But it's sooo dull looking compared to the Tifosi... imo

Bikes are getting more expensive for what you may see as a lesser spec, due mainly down to the weaker pound

Did your bike have 4600 Tiagra or 4700, the latter like for like

I might spend £3500 on a Ti from Enigma, I could get a similar spec from PX or Spa for £2k probably, but I won't buy the cheaper bike because they don't 'speak to me' in the same way and I won't get the same design and purchase experience as the Enigma. I'm looking for a bike for the longer term, so I'm prepared to spend more to enjoy that experience as well as the bike for the longer term. Your buddy might have had the same emotional response to the Tifosi, ask him

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Some higher price frames come with lower end groupsets to keep the price down.........so maybe he got a higher spec frame than your cube, therefore lower spec groupo to keep the price down

I actually bought my Cube on sale but the original price was about 1.5-1.6k. I paid between 1.2-1.3k for it and that was before I had my wheels made

vickster

Legendary Member
I actually bought my Cube on sale but the original price was about 1.5-1.6k. I paid between 1.2-1.3k for it and that was before I had my wheels made
Tifosi as a smaller company will have a lower purchasing power than Cube, a larger outfit. Thus, they'll be paying more for all the components through their suppliers I expect , need to compare apples with apples

winjim

Smash the cistern

Just one example...

B'TWIN TRIBAN 560 CARBON

So what is it that makes the components better and how does that relate to the type of riding your friend will be doing?

What are the differences and the similarities between the two framesets?

How does the difference in brand perception between Tiagra and Ultegra compare with that between Tifosi and b'twin?

jowwy

So you paid approx 2 hundred more for your bike and had approx 2 hundred pound better groupset........seems even to me

I certainly wouldnt have paid 1.6k for a cube with ultegra

winjim

Smash the cistern
So you paid approx 2 hundred more for your bike and had approx 2 hundred pound better groupset........seems even to me

I certainly wouldnt have paid 1.6k for a cube with ultegra
Especially if it had crap wheels which you needed to replace straight away.

jowwy

With out being too big headed.....i paid more for my groupset than you did for your whole bike, but i can guarantee i got the better value deal

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
In your opinion. Which may not be correct.

You need to read the thread title again, anything that begins with 'So my friend has' is clearly someone trying to disguise having an internal argument. It may interest you to know that his 'friend' is also toying with a variety of lifestyle and sexual proclivity choices.

Top Bottom