So my friend has bought a new bike [conclusion]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
He may have made a foolish decision, but he seems happy and it doesn't affect you at the end of the day so live and let live. (whatever that means)

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I'm not demonising you. You claim to know a lot about bikes and which bikes to buy, so I'm asking you questions about bikes and discussing with you the way in which you bought yours.

I just wanted a carbon bike and simply took the plunge. I wanted this bike to be special and it was what i could afford so thats how it went.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
He may have made a foolish decision, but he seems happy and it doesn't affect you at the end of the day so live and let live. (whatever that means)

Dont know if hes happy yet.... He hasnt been able to ride it as its still on order. He'll be picking it up this coming thursday and the DD will be its first major ride. I guess he likes the look of the bike enough to buy it.

I have some worries about taking such a new bike out for a long ride so soon. Mainly mechanicals -- cable stretch etc etc but also how the bike handles over all.

He's moving over from a 13kg 8 or 10 year old hybrid. So it might take some used to for him

(Editted)

Last edited:

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Dont know if hes happy yet.... He hasnt ridden it yet as its still on order. He'll be picking it up this coming thursday and the DD will be its first major ride. I guess he likes the look of the bike enough to buy it.
I guess he will learn from his mistakes if he's made any. I've made mistakes buying bikes before and certainly learnt from them

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
He did, but since he wants one bike all year round I recommended a Alu bike instead

I recommended a Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 Disc as that was the bike I was hoping to get to replace my Triban
Why cant carbon be used all year round????

vickster

Legendary Member
He did, but since he wants one bike all year round I recommended a Alu bike instead

I recommended a Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 Disc as that was the bike I was hoping to get to replace my Triban
Tiagra parts cheaper to replace than 105 though. And a carbon frame can be used in all weathers if you want to

Last edited:

jowwy

I can actually because we paid similar money.
No you cant, because they are totally different bikes...........and you bought yours in the sale, as you have already stated. So your not comparing apples with apples

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Why cant carbon be used all year round????

I never said they couldnt.

Tiagra parts cheaper to replace than 105 thought. And a carbon frame can be used in all weathers if you want to

Yeah, but id rather reserve my carbon for weekend rides and not a daily commute but different strokes for different folks.

No you cant, because they are totally different bikes...........and you bought yours in the sale, as you have already stated. So your not comparing apples with apples

They are similar bikes. both carbon, and we both paid around the same money despite me buying mine when it was on sale. In any case, for 1.1k Id still expect a bike with 105

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I can see why your mate didnt bother taking your advice.....i wouldnt have either

Yeah but you wouldnt be looking at the same price range anyway so it doesnt matter what id would advise you. like you said, you have a groupset which costs more than my bike? i think it was....

jowwy

I never said they couldnt.

Yeah, but id rather reserve my carbon for weekend rides and not a daily commute but different strokes for different folks.

They are similar bikes. both carbon, and we both paid around the same money despite me buying mine when it was on sale. In any case, for 1.1k Id still expect a bike with 105
Then you expect way too much for a relatively small outlay

Top Bottom