So what do we think of this little episode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Dragonwight

Interesting comments, maybe I should clarify what doesn't seem to be very clear on the video. The cyclist stopped because the guy in the car shouted a torrent of verbal abuse at him as he went by as well as nearly having him off his bike.

OP
OP
D

Dragonwight

Lucky the guy was heading in the opposite direction, being followed by one of these nut jobs is your worst nightmare.

bpsmith

Veteran
Interesting comments, maybe I should clarify what doesn't seem to be very clear on the video. The cyclist stopped because the guy in the car shouted a torrent of verbal abuse at him as he went by as well as nearly having him off his bike.
Then why is that not in the video too?

andyfraser

Über Member
Aggressive people really get my back up. We're supposed to live in a civilised society yet we have to run scared of these bullies. Basically if someone is bigger and stronger they're allowed to do whatever they like[*] because if we point out they're in the wrong they'll threaten us or we'll end up hurt. I despise this this aspect of society.

[*] I'm talking about minor offences or infractions of social conventions here. Obviously if they commit a crime they risk getting arrested and prosecuted.

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
An alternative view: driver is trying to reverse out with restricted view. Car on opposite side has stopped, driver thinks its OK to continue when cyclist come out of nowhere. Driver swears at cyclist not intending to have confrontation when cyclist stops and confronts already stressed driver who overreacts in major way.

I want to make clear I'm not making excuses for the driver who is clearly an idiot, but if I was reversing out then I'd hope other road vehicles would act in a considerate fashion. In that situation the driver is, not unreasonably, expecting road vehicles to allow him out, the cyclist did not do so but the driver's reaction is OTT.

OP
OP
D

Dragonwight

There is no excuse for threatening to smash someones face in which is a criminal offence and the swearing is a public order offence, the driving well backing out onto a busy road blind means you might have to wait. Abusing someone for it is out of order. There is nothing in my book perplexing in asking why someone is abusing you and asking them to stop. Its about time plod started pulling their finger out and doing something about these idiots. Its on video what more do you want!

i only seem to have positive interaction with other road users, apart from the odd one or two who are so insignificant, in all senses, that I ignore them.

For this reason I do not have a cam, the footage wouldn't exactly be riveting.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I meet tons of over aggressive nut jobs all teetering on the brink of a huge bust up in London.

Oddly, I don't seem to meet many when riding my bike in town though, which supports my secret theory that despite the perception, city roads might actually be a lot safer than the suburban as most road users are all focussed on a similar thing.

Most that is.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
We know the driver unleashed a torrent of abuse, but for what purpose did the rider stop? It was obvious the guy was a twunt and nothing good was going to come of the encounter, so why bother?

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
We know the driver unleashed a torrent of abuse, but for what purpose did the rider stop? It was obvious the guy was a twunt and nothing good was going to come of the encounter, so why bother?

Its probably a good idea to find out what's happening when the same guy is going to be following you up the road, no?

Top Bottom