So what do we think of this little episode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
The video has been made private, I took a leap of faith and skipped to page 3 on here and took it that the comments where not slamming the driver

OP
OP
D

Dragonwight

Yes the video has now been taken down as the matter has been reported to the police. Thanks for all the comments guys.

I've had a gut full of the spiteful, crappy behaviour people exhibit once they climb into their metal boxes. It's irrational and depressing. I avoid cycling through the city on Saturday nights cos of drunks and aggressive drivers, last night I rode cautiously and carefully on icy roads, was nearly home and at a chicane as I cleared it an Audi driver edged out to block my way so I had to swerve round him. Didn't delay him, didn't annoy him or provoke him in any way, it was just a private little piece of spite by the driver, and the cumulative effect of such actions is ultimately just depressing.

MarkF

Guru
i only seem to have positive interaction with other road users, apart from the odd one or two who are so insignificant, in all senses, that I ignore them.

Same here, I used to have confrontations nearly every day on my commute, now it's extremely rare, something had to change & the easiest thing was to moderate my own behaviour.

Non-event which should have been ignored.GC

This, before I'd have stopped, now I don't, really it's a nothing.

bpsmith

Veteran
Exactly. Confrontation is a 2 way thing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its probably a good idea to find out what's happening when the same guy is going to be following you up the road, no?
Really? You'd exchance the small possibility of a confrontation further up the road for the certainty of one right now?

I've had a gut full of the spiteful, crappy behaviour people exhibit once they climb into their metal boxes. It's irrational and depressing. I avoid cycling through the city on Saturday nights cos of drunks and aggressive drivers, last night I rode cautiously and carefully on icy roads, was nearly home and at a chicane as I cleared it an Audi driver edged out to block my way so I had to swerve round him. Didn't delay him, didn't annoy him or provoke him in any way, it was just a private little piece of spite by the driver, and the cumulative effect of such actions is ultimately just depressing.

I love cycling in town traffic. I make a point of being uber courteous, lots of cheery waves to motorists (and the occasional cheery kiss blown to MILF motorists, which usually brings big smiles) and the overwhelming majority of car drivers respond positively to that. You always get the odd arrisshole, but most treat you back as you treat them.

How delightful, you sound like Mother Theresa on a bike, if she was prone to casual sexism. I've cycled twice round the world in London, over 50k miles, I know about urban cycling through dodgy areas. This had nothing to do with quid pro quo and nothing to do with how I ride. "You always get the odd arrisshole". Indeed.

Drago

Legendary Member
I never anywhere suggested it was down to how you ride, and have no intention of getting into a mileage willy-wagging contest. I've cycled all over the World, even in Philadelphia in an area so dodgy that I carried a pistol (for work, but still cycling to and from as I wasn't about to leave it in the office) and never had any incidents like in the video.

The reason I don't have incidents like that is because when i spot a twot I ignore them totally and leave them to be a twot on their own, in their own time. I'm just an unsocial git who doesn't like indulging in episodes of timewasting, dangerous, confrontational twottishness. Thes poor lads and lasses who post videos up showing how they got assaulted while out taking the air all have one thing in common - they made the decision to stop (or even go back) to join in the barney.

If you don't like being slapped about then you can greatly reduce your chances of suffering such jolly japes by ignoring them, but unfortunately many people seem not to have the self-control to enable them to just ignore idiots. I don't want to get shot, I don't hang round the rifle range. I don't want to be touched up, I don't sit on Jimmy Saviles lap. I don't want to get bitch slapped by some Phil Mitchell lookalike, I stay away from them.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Not seen the video, but in general I agree with Drago.

Had an incident last year where three dodgy looking fellas overtook me, with plenty of room, but the driver shouted 'get off the road you daft c---'.

Within a minute I passed them again, as they were queued in traffic.

Did I stop and confront them? No. It would have resulted in, at best, my dinner going cold. At worst, a kicking.

I just want to go about my business in peace.

Drago

Legendary Member
Who's blaming the victims? Bottom line is that the person swinging the punch is the person at fault, and I never suggested otherwise.

What I have suggested that if you don't like being punched by scumbag then stopping for a chat with an apoplectic nutter of unknown sociapthic capacity is probably not a sensible thing to be doing.

I used to enjoy reading your posts Glennis, but this last week all you've managed to trot out is deliberately provocative and meaningless soundbites with no reasoned argument to support them. To reverse this trend, perhaps you could explain to us in what way it's a good idea to risk a poke in the chops by stopping to face a shouty sweary person? How does it benefit you or mankind?

Top Bottom