So what do we think of this little episode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Get involved or don't, and over what exactly? It's an easy choice for me once the penny had dropped, I enjoy cycling much more now.

Again, very few people on here will know how to fight or be used to being punched, and being punched is when shock happens and the real problems start. And over what? Minor gobby incidents! Just let them get on with the daft stuff and cycle away.

400bhp

Guru
Not seen the video, but in general I agree with Drago.

Had an incident last year where three dodgy looking fellas overtook me, with plenty of room, but the driver shouted 'get off the road you daft c---'.

Within a minute I passed them again, as they were queued in traffic.

Did I stop and confront them? No. It would have resulted in, at best, my dinner going cold. At worst, a kicking.

I just want to go about my business in peace.

I think you just have to carefully weigh up the situation. I remember a while back I mentioned on here that I had 2 blokes beeping me and saying similar stuff. There was a 1/4 mile queue literally 100 yards ahead. cycled down the side of the driver and asked him what the problem was. I had a few choice words. Now, I knew I was pretty safe as if there were any shenanigans I could simply cycle off and I weighed up the two occupants-both typical scrawny 20 something Mancs. I would have (tried to) keep my mouth shut if those two things weren't for me.

Easier said than done though and I've misread situations, so it's best to cycle away/ignore. Life is too short.

400bhp

Guru
Get involved or don't, and over what exactly? It's an easy choice for me once the penny had dropped, I enjoy cycling much more now.

Again, very few people on here will know how to fight or be used to being punched, and being punched is when shock happens and the real problems start. And over what? Minor gobby incidents! Just let them get on with the daft stuff and cycle away.

Thing is as well, if you step back and think about it (imagine telling the story to a 3rd person who is independent and is neither pro/anti cyclist) arguments on the road are so bl00dy pointless.

Now, I knew I was pretty safe as if there were any shenanigans I could simply cycle off and I weighed up the two occupants-both typical scrawny 20 something Mancs. I would have (tried to) keep my mouth shut if those two things weren't for me.

Easier said than done though and I've misread situations, so it's best to cycle away/ignore. Life is too short.

In my experience, you have to be especially wary of the scrawny ones, they always have something to prove, and particularly when they have an audience.
Ignore, ride away and concentrate on the important things in life.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Again it's lack of enforcement, lets say this guy could go to the police with the video of the really insanely aggressive punishment pass and expect some sort of reasonable police action to happen. He'd probably be a lot less inclined to try and argue or get involved. But as it is he knows he'll get fobbed off.

Yeah yeah "lack of police time/resources and the cps are nobbers", but that didn't seem to be the case with police in Cambridge out tackling the dangerous menace of lawbreaking cyclists.

Perhaps we don't get the cyclists we need but the one's we deserve.

No. I didn't.

Top Bottom