So where on earth is this bad weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Elmer Fudd said:
You don't count, you're in the N.E.
Bad weather is only newsworthy if it may affect Saaarf of Watford :evil:

"A quarter of a million people believed to be dead in storms in Newcastle" will be the twelth item after the news after David Beckham's new tattoo.

wafflycat

andygates said:
It's fairly chunky out there now... two trees down on the way in, and over lunchtime my route home has apparently flooded!

Think of it as triathlon training... cycling.. swimming and you'll be able to fit in a bit of running too no doubt!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It has alternated during today from stormy at 4am, calm, wet, windy, calm wet etc. At the minute the gusting has been picking up since about 2.30pm and it up to 40 mph (at the local sheltered weather station in someones back garden). Bristol airport gives gusts of 55 mph.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:
"A quarter of a million people believed to be dead in storms in Newcastle" will be the twelth item after the news after David Beckham's new tattoo.

They usually take off their stripey football shirts even in subzero temperatures so it wouldn't have a big effect on the gene pool:evil:

simonali

Guru
Well, went out on the pub crawl today. Didn't go quite as far as we'd hoped to, but did around 40 miles in rain, sun and, above all, mucho windyness.

My pal was riding his son's bike which was too small and I did a lot of waiting!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I wish I hadn't started this thread now....
It's been poor weather (apart from this morning which was fine & dry).
My trip to Wentworth Park (Barnsley) was postponed yesterday...:biggrin:.....and it doesn't look like the weather is going to let up for the remainder of the week and even into the weekend...:sad:

snorri

Legendary Member
Cold strong easterlies yesterday, today the wind is back to the west so much milder, a pleasant day.:biggrin:
The glass has been very low for days, I can't remember seeing it so low for so long.

Heading from the centre of London westwards, I got a right buffeting tonight. At 105kg I was well 'anchored' but still veering off course - I sympathise with the lightweights who must have been blown all over the place. Just past Hounslow there was a cyclist down - with police and ambulance in attendance - (I think a) she seemed to be smiling and wincing at the attendants...hopefully not too serious:wacko:

PrettyboyTim

I found myself getting blown about a bit, although I don't think it blew me off course too much. Pretty funny along one stretch when cars will normally overtake giving about 2-3 feet of room; I'd anticipated that I might get a bit of a buffet as I approached one section so had hunkered down a bit when a big gust came and tried to blow me into the middle of the road. It knocked me off course a little bit but not too much however the driver behind me then overtook leaving me about nine feet of space :biggrin: I thought it was pretty comical, but all the same - good on him! He gave me loads of room to fall off my bike.

I think I need to rig a jacket that can fake being blown to one side and trigger it along with giving my bike a quick wobble. The effect was incredible, so it'd be useful to be able to trigger it at will :angry:

Chris James

Über Member
Bit blowy here last night. The tiles on the roof were rattling again (it's only a couple of weeks ago when the tiles were last stripped off the roof in the severe gales that the BBC couldn't be bothered to report - presumably as they are a regular occurrence here). The previous gales were worse for us - gusts of 70mph in Emley, branches being blown off and you couldn't open the car door to get out of the car when caught in a gust.

You could barely stand up never mind cycle.

Chris James

Über Member
surfgurl said:
It was a pretty breezy night but I slept through it.
It's been raining hard this morning but it's stopped now and the sun is illuminating a grey sky.
The sea managed to stay the other side of the seawall..

By the way Surfgurl, I seem to recall you saying that you lived in Weston. High winds and high tides are common there - its is not that long ago that the caravan site at Uphill was washed away.

Once I remember sitting in my car in the car park alongside the Old Colonial as the car park began to fill with sea water. I made the mistake of deciding to drive off and turned left onto the seafront. The water was about two foot deep and huge waves were coming over the sea wall and crashing onto the roof of my car. I couldn't see anything even with the wipers on full - except the hazard lights of cars that had broken down.

I don't think I did my car much good! That was about ten years ago when I used to live in Locking Castle.

Obviously if you don't live in Weston then this will mean nothing to you!

SamNichols

I nearly got knocked off my feet by the wind this morning, I'm in a library with soaking wet feet, it hailed and I'm not happy. Seemingly all of the bad weather is centralised in South Manchester (although it appears to be sunny now). Why did I ever move to the North?

Top Bottom