Sold the motorbike and started cycling to save money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedder2212

Hello,
New to the forum but not new to bikes, been tinkering with them since I was a kid but got into motorbikes about four years ago when I turned 16.. Decided that this year id sell my £300 scrapper of a motorbike (P.O.S Chinese) and start cycling, putting whatever money away that I don't spend on petrol each week or don't spend getting the bus.
I started today, bought myself a cheap bike for now, nothing fancy and only cost £10. keeping a eye out for something a bit better but still cheap (I am trying to save up whatever I can afterall lol). Ill be shoving whatever I don't spend each day on petrol and bus fares etc into a jar and at the end of the year, new years eve to be exact ill open it up, count it up and then decide based on the years experience cycling weather im going to spend that money on a new bicycle or a new motorcycle.
that's the plan anyway. the motorbike sold today, I bought the push bike today, im embarresed of it already.
its a blue challenge emulator which can be bought from argos for £100 :blink:
But thought id say hi and introduce myself, im sure ill be spending some time on here :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hi and welcome :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HI Hedder. Welcome - you did the right thing.

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

I used to use the motorbike for all the silly trips that i could of done walking, i even used to ride it to the top of the road to fetch the paper when i could of walked it in 5 minutes, including a 8 mile ride to gfs every day and then back... id fill up atleast 5 times a week at a average of £12.98ish per fill up (i really didnt try to ride economically, it was 100mph everywhere or nothing) so that was £64.90 each week including commute, all my running around, going to gfs etc so £259.60 a month, id do a service each month, that was self done but would cost £20 a time to do. so totals up to £279.60 a month so far. X that by twelve £3355.20 and add on insurance of £450 per year fully comp - £3805.20 roughly.. then whatever it would cost when i did a long ride out for the day with friends etc so call it about £4k for the year... ive only just added all that up now... think i need a lie down! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi and welcome - this is a brilliant idea. I've just cycled up to the shop - half a mile - can't imagine doing what a lot of people round here do and drive it, unless the weather was truly horrendous. But I used to....:whistle:

My ignorance: would you save on parking too? I found one of my biggest savings when I stopped using my car for driving to the station was the parking fees, but I don't know if motorbikes get charged in general, I imagine not?

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Never really paid parking. Don't think bikes have to locally as we just tend to leave them in a corner of a car park (5 or 6 in a bay at times) and only take a space a car cant get into normally. Ive only ever had to pay to park once and that was when we went on a ride out and we took almost a whole car park up (cant remember the name of the town) but parking enforcement insisted we had to buy a ticket for each spot we took up. but I guess its not much when we were putting 5 or 6 in one bay :laugh: and there was almost 50 of us :laugh:

£4k could buy a nice bike... a nice motorbike and a holiday with me :laugh: well see when I open the jar/jars up new years eve and I decide what to spend it on then :laugh:

Top Bottom