Solid verses pneumatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

The OP is just going to keep on and on. We've said why they aren't as good. He should try them, probably wouldn't notice too much with his electric assist, until he lost traction and slid off. For a 'normal' bike they make life hard work and uncomfortable.

I have a feeling he will carry on trolling his own thread.
Goodnight

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Goodnight

Morning here !

Ajax Bay

Guru
Fitting M+ mitigates the risk of either a real increased threat of punctures (road condition) or the perception of the hazard that a puncture represents (for and by an individual). At a cost of weight and tyre responsiveness (although I didn't find that was a 'thing' - but only rode the 500 miles (+) Lancaster to JoG with one on the rear).

Last edited:

fossyant

Thought they were just to get you home.

They are, but they are fitted to cars for general use and they are harsh. Many owners change them for normal pneumatic tyres. Similar arguments, just like Marathon Plus tyres, very puncture resistant but are sluggish and heavy compared to a less heavy tyre. More noticeable on a normal bike.

classic33

Leg End Member
They are, but in general use they are harsh. Many owners change them for normal pneumatic tyres. Similar arguments, just like Marathon Plus tyres, very puncture resistant but are sluggish and heavy compared to a less heavy tyre. More noticeable on a normal bike.
Should Hamilton fit run flats for the race today?

fossyant

The more robust a tyre, the more heavy. I could tell a big difference between the ride of Continental 4 Seasons and more durable Schwalbe Durano Plus, and thats only a slightly heavier tyre. I got used to it, but you can tell.

figbat

Slippery scientist
They are, but they are fitted to cars for general use and they are harsh. Many owners change them for normal pneumatic tyres. Similar arguments, just like Marathon Plus tyres, very puncture resistant but are sluggish and heavy compared to a less heavy tyre. More noticeable on a normal bike.
Another benefit (to the OEM) of fitting runflats is that they don’t have to provide spare wheels or tyre repair kits, saving cost and, importantly, weight. I’ve had cars with RFT - yeah they were firm but recently they have been able to tune suspension to accommodate the tyres so they’ve never been harsh.

Of course RFTs solve a real world problem. Solid tyres don’t, unless your problem is “my bike is too comfortable, too light and too fast”. The problem of punctures can be solved in other ways, like tougher tyres or tubeless, or even easily demounted and replaced inner tubes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Borrowed a MTB with solid tyres once. Awful.
Worst problem was the tyres didn't grip the rims , so would continue to rotate even when the wheels had locked solid.
Picture the wheel going round, with the solid tyre stationary as the power is increased on an electric powered bike.
Bike and rider going nowhere.

Top Bottom