Some of Buckinghamshire is flat - 29th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabregas485

…and regrettably there's no easy way of avoiding Watford. It's a bit of a nightmare ring road to get through and out the other side from the Bushey direction. Mind you, on a Sunday morning, it shouldn't have the usual snarl-ups and jams.
I believe it's legally possible on a bike to carry on in a straight line once you get past Watford High Street train station and up the High Street and under the subway at the very top end, avoiding the ring road, though I'm not 100% certain on the legality or otherwise. @jayonabike may be better informed.
If its the way I think so (you cycle up the high street), it is legal as there is a cycle lane going all the way up.
However last time I was in Watford, half the cycle lane was closed as well as most of the footpath.

gbs

Guru
Charlie, could we have a "headsup" please?
  • KO from Berkhampstead Station at ?
  • lunch at? I know, I will admit to being wimpish.
  • any other stops?
  • ETA for return to B'hampstead?

Ok. Recce #2 done. Still not happy with the distance, as I think it could be a mite longer, but I have some scenic detour ideas without any unnecessary climbing to deploy. In the meantime it looks like http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1658858. It looked a whole lot better when I opened it on my iMac at home than on my work pc. It fitted the screen better and the profile was visible.

Lunch stop is probably going to be at The Black Boy in Oving at 27 miles (their site at http://www.theblackboyoving.com/ is under construction), but they have an entry at
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g4728443-d1232419-Reviews-The_Black_Boy-Oving_Buckinghamshire_England.html

PS - how do you get linkys to to appear like this?
Having looked at your route, I am now absolutely gutted I cannot join you. I spent most of my life, and my happiest memories in the village of Wingrave. The Black Boy at Oving, was also my favourite pub for food and drink. I am now sulking big time. I hope you all enjoy the ride. Please wave at Nup End Lane, when you cycle past.:thumbsup:

Snail Bait

I am still newish to cycling, so I am slightly worried about being about to do the distance and the climbing. I have done a 45 mile ride before, but with the hills I am not how well I will do :sad:
I'm called Snail Bait for a reason. I'll be some way behind you just happy that daylight is involved.

Kies

Social ride folks - don't worry about the pace, we will get you up those hills ( with lots of shouting and abuse aka drill sergeant's) ;)

gbs

Guru
Doh!. I finished researching the train and ride options a few minutes ago and have now learnt that a three line whip applies to Sunday morning. So, count me out. It is a pity.

fabregas485

Doh!. I finished researching the train and ride options a few minutes ago and have now learnt that a three line whip applies to Sunday morning. So, count me out. It is a pity.
Three line whip?

Trickedem

Guru
I'm a possible now. Not sure how I am going to get there yet though, so will have to confirm later in the week. What time is the ride expected to finish?

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Timings (best estimate, and with the best will in the world)
Dep Berko station. 10:30
Lunch 13:00
Dep lunch 14:15
Tea 16:45
Dep. Tea 17:30, and as it's all downhill from here… (…honest)
Finish Berko station 18:00

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Charlie, can you post up a gpx of the route.
I can't be that late back to Berkhampsted so will probably shoot off ahead during lunch.

Kies

What are these breaks you refer to? Eat,drink & chat enroute surely? :smile:

Top Bottom