Sometimes i hate where i live😕

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once/twice a year I visit England (Oxford, Norwich, Brentwood mainly) to visit brother, sister and friends.

Every year I notice that the country is less friendly and that an undercurrent of aggression and violence is, IME, very noticeable.

I'm heading back next week for two weeks and I'm already beginning to (nearly) dread it. What with Brexit, the election, terrorist attacks, nationalism, gangs, the Christmas 'spirit' in full flow, and other factors, I can't wait to get back to Oslo.

Unfortunately, I can't see things ever improving (not in the foreseeable future, at least).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't want to turn this into a JohnnyB bashing session but you do seem to be isolating yourself from the very community you are commenting on and allowing the slide toward anarchy. You witnessed a horrific, violent attack that may have left a person with serious, permanent injuries or worse! OK, you might not have felt able to intervene in the altercation, but surely as a witness you should have waited around to help the police identify the aggressors? As it is, the police will likely be faced with a wall of resistance where 'nobody saw anything' and the yobs get away scott free to continue behaving like animals?
And as for the unwanted attention of your new friend. Would it have bothered you so much if they had been female? He was probably just like you, a bit bored and lonely, looking for company. You could have explained that you were flattered but not looking for a relationship, but struck up a great friendship anyway? He could have been your best new cycling buddy if you had taken the time to find out a little more about each other. Now he is just left feeling lonely and rejected and maybe wondering why does he bother, just like the unfortunate shop keeper.
No man is an island, we are all part of the community we live in.

Stephenite

Membå
Once/twice a year I visit England (Oxford, Norwich, Brentwood mainly) to visit brother, sister and friends.

Every year I notice that the country is less friendly and that an undercurrent of aggression and violence is, IME, very noticeable.

I'm heading back next week for two weeks and I'm already beginning to (nearly) dread it. What with Brexit, the election, terrorist attacks, nationalism, gangs, the Christmas 'spirit' in full flow, and other factors, I can't wait to get back to Oslo.

Unfortunately, I can't see things ever improving (not in the foreseeable future, at least).
Agreed.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hi.
Today has been a really quiet boring day. With the exception of some food shopping, the rest of it has just entailed me and the cat keeping warm at home.
This evening i was really starting to get a little bored and decided to pop out for a quiet pint or two.
As i set off the first thing i saw was a police forensic van parked outside a shop.I later leant the shop keeper had committed suicide. It came as a shock as i knew him (very sad if its true)
Anyway with that news i popped into the pub for a quiet beer. Half an hour in 7 people pounced on to this guy. With in seconds they where kicking six bells out of this guy and where stamping on is head. The whole pub turned into a war zone. I just didn't want to get involved and left immediately. Walking back home i was then met by a group of ladies having a brawl in the street.
Bejesus what the hell is the matter with everybody tonight i thought.
On the way back home i thought i would try a quiet pub for one more beer. I got talking to a guy about the recent advents and how awful it was. After 30 minutes of chit chat he propositioned me. As much as im opened minded and tolerant to sexualty it came as a bit of a shock. I kindly declined and went on my way. All this happened within 1 and half hours
Im back home now with the cat curled up on the sofa.
What really was disturbing was the awful fight i witnessed. Seven people laying into this guy was truly awful to see.
Tomorrow im definitely getting the bike out and leave this all behind me and escape all this.
The question is though what hell is the matter with people nowadays to act so violent towards one another. The mind boggles.

You’ll probably find out that the guy getting the kicking maybe beat the shoot out of one of his attacker sisters... Or similar.

Or he stole from them, drug money or house.

Used to see this a lot 20-30 yr ago, i dont bother with town centres now.
As for the proposition :laugh: you should be flattered, women have to put up with it all the time.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I don't want to turn this into a JohnnyB bashing session but you do seem to be isolating yourself from the very community you are commenting on and allowing the slide toward anarchy. You witnessed a horrific, violent attack that may have left a person with serious, permanent injuries or worse! OK, you might not have felt able to intervene in the altercation, but surely as a witness you should have waited around to help the police identify the aggressors? As it is, the police will likely be faced with a wall of resistance where 'nobody saw anything' and the yobs get away scott free to continue behaving like animals?
And as for the unwanted attention of your new friend. Would it have bothered you so much if they had been female? He was probably just like you, a bit bored and lonely, looking for company. You could have explained that you were flattered but not looking for a relationship, but struck up a great friendship anyway? He could have been your best new cycling buddy if you had taken the time to find out a little more about each other. Now he is just left feeling lonely and rejected and maybe wondering why does he bother, just like the unfortunate shop keeper.
No man is an island, we are all part of the community we live in.
Fair point buddy. Im the first to agree i don't get it right sometimes 👍

I'd relax on the terrorist attacks dayvo. If that is something that keeps you awake you won't be able to relax anywhere.

Yeah, of course, but I meant more with the suspicions of anyone not 'English-looking' becoming targeted by vigilante
groups or 'possees'.

I spent eight months on a kibbutz in Israel and the constant threat of attacks didn't cause any worry.

Yeah, of course, but I meant more with the suspicions of anyone not 'English-looking' becoming targeted by vigilante
groups or 'possees'.

I spent eight months on a kibbutz in Israel and the constant threat of attacks didn't cause any worry.
Mm
Vigilante groups?
Hardly a thing.
What's this oslo redtop that reports these things marauding around britain?
I think folk need to retain a bit of balance/perspective to be honest.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Agreed.

We typically spend about 4-5 months a year travelling in mainland Europe, usually make every effort to avoid our fellow countrymen/women.

Too old to contemplate leaving now, but, if I had my time over, I think I would have emigrated.

Mm
Vigilante groups?
Hardly a thing.

If this is the treatment someone gets for highlighting the plight of the environment, then what would a Muslim person experience when tempers were running high?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GCZ-xUrfW8

In the late '90s when I was at uni, a group of local 'hardnuts' came into one of the uni bars looking for Italians (England were playing a game against Italy) to fight. They knocked the shite out of a Greek guy, later offering the excuse that he looked Italian.

Open your eyes and see it all around you.

Edited to include video link

Last edited:
Mm
Vigilante groups?
Hardly a thing.

I think it has increased in the UK, and those of us like myself and @Dayvo who live elsewhere notice it more when we visit.

I've noticed a massive increase in fear and (fear of) violence in the UK every time I visited. Mind you, poverty has increased noticeably at the same time.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As some of you will know,i've been having trouble with my neighbour(s). They're a well known to the police and most folk who live in this town troublesome family. Apart from them i don't feel threatened when walking out at night. I keep to well lit roads/paths and even though i have a few health problems i'm still an agile person,so even though i don't have the fight mode anymore i still have the flight mode,meaning i reckon i could outrun most lowlifes. My main concern these days is out of control dogs. Usually dogs walking behind or in front of their owners either off the lead or on a very long one which means the dog has too much freedom to lunge at me or my little mutt. You'd automatically think 'chav' when mentioning these types, but i'd say more than half are what you'd think of as respectable people. I avoid my local park now when out walking my dog due to out of control dogs running amok while their owners think it's ok for them to do so. These people will be the ones who complain about there being a lack of police and the brake down of society etc,but they're anti social gits themselves!

Top Bottom