Son 28 dynamo - changing axles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I want to change the front wheel on my bike. The existing wheel has a 9mm axle. I believe. The one I want to change it with has a Son 28 dynamo and a QR skewer. I have the adaptor for the dynamo.

What tool do I need to remove the centre of the dynamo, in order to fit the adaptor? O r can I use the original 9mm axle?
IMG_20181126_145955.jpg
IMG_20181126_150241.jpg
IMG_20181126_150208.jpg

A cassette lockring tool, if you are pointing to the silver thing you want to remove.

Edit: actually, looking at the question and photos again, I don't know what you want to remove.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
A cassette lockring tool, if you are pointing to the silver thing you want to remove.

Edit: actually, looking at the question and photos again, I don't know what you want to remove.
I think he's trying to convert it from thru-axle to QR. In which case it should be a 12mm thru axle - and SON do a conversion kit for it to 9mm QR.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would prefer to keep it as a through axle but dont know how to take the centre out of the dynamo. Is there a way I can use the original through axle?

I would prefer to keep it as a through axle but dont know how to take the centre out of the dynamo. Is there a way I can use the original through axle?

Your question is still obscure.

I see two axles in your hand. The one on the left is a quick release converter for a wheel with a 15mm through axle hub. Right?
The one on the right is a through-axle for a 15mm TA hub. Right?
You have a fork with drop-outs that take a 9mm axle with QR. Right?
You want to fit a wheel with a TA hub. Right?
You want to fit the converter axle into the 15mm TA hub. Right?
Therefore the photo with the 9mm QR axle is a red herring. We don't need to see it. Right?

If all the above gets an affirmative tick, then you simply pull the end caps off the TA hub. Those are the black caps with centre holes in the too-slow-exposure photo. They are shallow and are press-fit. Usually an O-ring or such will hold them in place. Put a long-nose pliers half inside the cap, grip nicely and pull axially. Don't let the pliers slip because it will scratch the black anodising.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I don't think it's possible to fit a SON 28 hub that's got a standard QR skewer and axle (or the allen key skewer they usually come with) to a bike that uses a thru-axle wheel (such as that in the top photo).
You certainly can't remove the existing axle from the SON hub (which I take it is the second photo - would have been more obvious taken from the connector side).

You can buy a new SON 28 for a 15 mm thru-axle bike, or a SONdelux for a 12 mm thru-axle bike, or an SP PD-8X dynohub for either.

Top Bottom