Sore Foot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If I cycle 20 to 30 miles no issues but 40 to 50 I find I get a sore left foot around the ball and toe area. I am using Decathlon road shoes with Keos with 6 degrees of float. Any views? do I need to do some fine adjustment on the cleats or could there be another reason? Do I just need to persist until my foot is used to slightly longer distances.

Cheers

navrat_biker

could either be your putting too much pressure on the front of your foot as you drive the pedel round or cleat position. you should when finding the right place to position the cleats sit on a table or chair and let your feet fall naturally. look at the position your feet are in and then set your cleat to follow this natural position. your cleats dont/shouldnt be perfectly straight as people dont have a naturally straight foot position. (or its very rare) another thing to check is the tightness of the shoe itself. too tight can cause pressure to build. so when setting the cleats find the ball of your foot and then find the alignment with the centre of the cleat and make sure you adjust the cleat in the direction that mimmics the foots natural angle.

hope this helps.

jimboalee

Nobody's feet are exactly the same size. Shoes, of course are manufactured to be identical mirror images of each other. Setting the cleats identical on both shoes is going against the dimensions of one of your feet.

Mine. My left foot is slightly larger than my right. That means the cleat position is 0.5mm different from the right shoe. As I remember, it ended up being rear of the right shoe cleat position.

Back in the old days when I bought my pair of plates, my LBS man measured my foot and chalked a mark on the sole of the shoes where his friend the local cobbler should nail on the shoeplate. No worries with those shoes.

Some LBS ask you to stand on a sheet of brown paper sprinked with talc barefoot and then measure it for where the weight is distributed.

Some LBS don't give a toss and sell you the shoes without looking at your feet.

Top Bottom