Sore Hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Being an old git who is falling apart,I suffer from arthritus,& my hands get pretty sore.At present I am riding a hardtail hybrid,hoping the front end would be easier on the hands,but still getting sore.Any ideas welcome.

aJohnson

Do you wear gloves with padding?

It may also be your bike sizing, when I moved my seat forward a bit I found I were putting less pressure on my hands.

OP
OP
G

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
I got the bike from a local shop,they set the positions.Not wearing any gloves,are there any that may help?Would they do a pair large enough for my backside as well^_^
Been back on a bike for about 3 weeks,so I suppose it is just a matter of getting used to the aches.Getting out about 5-6 times a week,between 5 & 12 miles a time.

wealthysoup

When I had this problem after changing saddles I found that moving the saddle back and tilting it up at the front really helped. Moving it back seems counter intuitive but I gave it a go after reading some Web Page that mentioned when bending over you move your backside out to keep your balance, if you moved it further to the front you would fall over, or something similar to that.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I tend to get the problem of a 'burning' sensation across the back of my hands. I find fingerless mitts without a gel padding helps. Also, I try and make an effort to keep my wrist straight and not put all the weight on the heel of my hands. It'll take a bit of time, but you will find what's best for you eventually :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Tried a pair of fingerless padded gloves tonight,already have the fancy grips,did improve things.I now know why sunglasses are de rigour,got flies in both eyes tonight,stings a bit.12 miles of towpath in 55 mins,sort of ok for an out of condition old git.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I found I had a lot of hand pain when I was riding my old flat bar hybrid. I changed to drops and no more pain. I put this down to the highly limited hand positions on the flatbars. As soon as I was on drops I had a huge number of different positions.

OP
OP
G

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Trouble is,I have sciatica as well,if I was a horse the vet would shoot me.Had cortisone injection,but drop bars would probably be too much at the moment.

Top Bottom