Sore legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I finally had got the saddle adjusted just right on my MTB and then it went in for a service and was moved (stupid me forgot to mark it).
I got it back to where I thought it was before (using my previous pedal stroke as a guide), but the last few rides I've noticed that my legs hurt - the lower band of muscle running above the knee, but not the knee itself.
I also noticed that as my fitness is increasing, I have been using higher gears. I don't tend to stand on the pedals uphill as my balance isn't reliable, (I have Dyspraxia) so I stay seated.

So, could it be the saddle height being just a bit off or the fact I don't stand (never had trouble before) when pedalling uphill?
Thoughts please!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It's the use of the higher gears imo: every time I up the gears in an attempt to keep up with faster riders :smile: I get sore legs.
I don't normally get sore legs no matter the distance if I ride at my sedate pace.
I presume that, as a cyclist, you must expect sore legs if you want to go faster or climb steep hills.
Mine are pretty vocal after yesterday's 3 Ferries ride and Saturday's Pop :laugh:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As @Pat "5mph" said: it's the higher gears, which puts more strain on your quadriceps. You can either continue to use higher gears and your quadriceps will get stronger over time, or switch to slightly lower gears.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like the saddle might be too low. I get quad pain like that too if my saddle is low (mine seems to be slipping at the mo which is annoying)! If sitting down you need to use low gears and spin (although as @jefmcg will attest, this isn't my style :whistle: )

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't flog your legs in a low gear, keep the speed up and the pressure down or you'll damage your knees. Muscles respond fast to changes in the demands you place on them by growing new fibres and becoming stronger but joints and tendons take much longer to get used to their new duties.

oldroadman

Veteran
Seat height. Repeat of old advice on other strings. Measure inside leg to floor level (bare feet). Multiply result by 0.883. This will give a reliable starting point for the saddle height, measured from centre of the bottom bracket axle to top of the saddle. Fore and aft adjust to suit, as with tilt, which can only be very slight. A little makes a big difference! All this is a start, using lower gears and steady cadence without forcing too big a gear on the climbs, fitness and strength will improve. remember rest is also important after big efforts. So if you have a high mileage session one day, next time out just spin gently in "recovery" mode, this keeps the legs turning and helps clear any toxins. And as has been said, once you find an ideal position, don't just mark it on the bike, record the measurements so you can replicate it at any time. Good luck and enjoy!

sheffgirl

The bits just above my knees have been hurting too. Unless the saddle has moved on its own I doubt it is that causing my problems. My knees hurt after I stop but it wears off after a while.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Pushing big gears hurts muscle right above the knee.
Mark the height then Pull the seat post out and see if you can see an old dirt line where the post was before. Worth a try

Top Bottom