Sore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am a seventy year old male. Started riding on 8/1 at two miles a day and for the last month do ten miles every day in an hour. Legs still sore. Why won't this go away.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try a day off.

Ask your doctor.

Check with a dietician whether you're missing something from your diet.

A little protein snack after a ride is good.

What is "riding on 8/1"?

Jimidh

Veteran
Try a day off.

Ask your doctor.

Check with a dietician whether you're missing something from your diet.

A little protein snack after a ride is good.

What is "riding on 8/1"?

Think he means 1st of August?

Agree take a few days off your bike and let your muscles repair.

S-Express

Think he means 1st of August?

or 8th Jan, using the UK date convention.

Nobody can answer the question about 'soreness not going away' without more info. Could be your age, could be a lack of rest/recovery, could be over-intensity, could be a functional issue, could be a fit/sizing issue, could be a diet issue.

OP
OP
R

rainywells69

Regular
8/1 is August 1st. Had 4 days off bike because of hurricane Matthew. After 4 days and 1ride it was back. 10 miles doesn't seem like enough to cause this poblem. Just turned over first 500 miles on 10/15. I don't know anything about protin.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you tried using a foam roller, great bit of kit for not a lot on money. If I start to get a sore area's that seems to sort them out very quickly.

Just google foam roller.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
8/1 is August 1st. Had 4 days off bike because of hurricane Matthew. After 4 days and 1ride it was back. 10 miles doesn't seem like enough to cause this poblem. Just turned over first 500 miles on 10/15. I don't know anything about protin.
10 miles in one hour puts you in my sort of usual daily range, although you're a bit older than me and I do longer rides most weekends. I think it can add up, especially if you accidentally have some sort of diet deficiency, as many people do. I'd suspect that or a bike position/fit problem as the easiest things to test.

I guess from writing the date funny and mentioning that hurricane that you're in the USA, which is notorious for its expensive healthcare. Can you consult medics about this sort of thing over there? That seems like a very good idea to me... but my illness means I see mine far more than I'd like anyway - only a phone call today, though! :laugh:

boydj

Legendary Member
Could be you are pushing too hard. Keep the pace well within yourself and take an occasional day off or do a shorter ride. Your body will eventually get used to the regular exercise and then you can start doing a longer run once or twice a week.

But well done on starting and please do keep it going - you'll get a lot of benefit in the longer term.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Could be you are pushing too hard
If that's the case use lower gears and twiddle more.

RegG

Über Member
Well done on doing 10 miles in an hour every day, especially as you only started riding fairly recently. As others have said, try taking a day off every 2 or 3 days to see if that helps. It does get easier! You don't say what sort of ride you go on - is it flat, hilly or a mixture of both? Try to pace yourself without pushing too hard. The main thing is, you are out there riding, it doesn't matter how far or fast you are going! Keep it up.:bicycle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You have to remember when you cycle you use different muscles to when you're walking so even if you are quite fit you will feel discomfort after a session on the bike. I think you may be over doing it particularly if you haven't cycled before. Ten miles in a hour is going some, cut it down to maybe half and see what that does. It sounds like your muscles are not repairing. I'm no expert I should have a chat with your GP. Sorry, you're in the US you don't have GPs so maybe some sort of physiotherapist. I'm nearly your age and I don't have a problem, maybe because I cycle regularly.

dim

you are grinding and not spinning?

use an easier gear and try to peddle a faster cadence without straining your knees.... don't worry about speed or distance at this stage ... just do a few miles and slowly increase it. Cycle for 5 days in a row, and have 2 days rest

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @rainywells69 and :welcome:

Pat refers to the bee in my bonnet about new riders having their saddle too low which is a setup that feels reassuring as you can put a foot down easily but can make riding slow and uncomfortable with a burning sensation in the muscles, especially round the knees.

I don't know whether this is your issue but it's an easy thing to check and eliminate before looking at anything else: Set the saddle so that with your heel on the pedal your leg is almost but not quite straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The leg should then have just about the right amount of bend in it when pedalling normally.

There are more technical ways of setting up the bike but this gives a a good basic starting point.

I hope it helps.

Top Bottom