Sorry another compact Gearing Question !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok I now own a couple of tripled geared bikes and another couple with compact gearing. As much as I try .not to I always seem to gravitate to one of the triples when I go out for a ride because its so much easier so the compact bikes are not getting used.
Hence my question which is should I just persevere with the compacts and also lose some of the timber I am carrying and in time hope I get use to riding it or stick with the triples.
The other thought I have is given its Shimano is to fit a bigger toothed rear sprocket than the 28 fitted. Would a 30 tooth sprocket make that much difference and would I then need to fit a longer rear mech to cope with it
Anyone else had this problem and over come it.

My motivation for asking this question is, ok quick check over my shoulder nearest and dearest not looking over my shoulder, is that in March I get the state pension so it could be time for another new bike and there are few triple equipped bikes out there today.
I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes you could fit an 11-30 cassette, the only adjustment probably being to tighten the B screw so as to pull the top pulley off that 30 cog.

I would stick with compact; there used to be a very controversial member on here who once posted that mountain bike gearing has no place on a road bike.

si_c

Guru
I would stick with compact; there used to be a very controversial member on here who once posted that mountain bike gearing has no place on a road bike.

Sod that, fit whatever works for you. Having said that, Shimano Tiagra cassettes are available in an 11-34t combination, so if you have a 10speed drivetrain that should give you a low comparable to the lowest on your triple; the only caveat being that you may need a rear deraileur with a longer cage on it, depends on your component setup.

Sharky

Guru
If going in for a new steed, consider the 1x10 options. Dropping the hassle of a front changer is quite refreshing and I've only moved to a 1x9 set up.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Personally I find a close ratio cassette so much nicer to ride that I wouldn't consider anything else. I never think in terms of buying a complete bike. Choose a frame and hang the bits you want on it.

Kajjal

Guru
Just do whatever works for you. If a triple gives you the gears you need then that's what you need. You could try the 11-34 cassette and new rear derailleur but best to compare gear ratios to a triple first.

Joffey

Big Dosser
You can stick a 32 on most Shimano group sets with some fiddling of the B screw. Get on the compact and shot a big cassette on the back. Job done.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Suggest to the OP @hondated this recent thread is worth a read through:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/opinions-sought-on-this-drivetrain-change.193432/

Suggest the fact that you are reaching for the triple equipped rides eg your Dawes every time gives you a good idea what the way ahead is. With your seniority you and your knees will appreciate a short bottom gear and a good way to get that without big jumps going through the cassette is with a triple (say 52-42-30) and a 12-30 cassette.

Have a play around with this:

http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...16,17,19,21,23,25&UF=2125&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
"... With your seniority ...."?

Not necessarily a factor to consider too much. With the extra free time, the OP will have, will be going faster than he has done for a few years. At least that what happened to me this last year and looking forward to my next TT.

Cheers from an OAP.

kiriyama

I always seem to gravitate to one of the triples when I go out for a ride

why buy a compact that you might hate and never ride?

You could get a compact and fit an 11-32 (or bigger!) cassette at the back BUT the change between each gear won't be as smooth and could lead to a less enjoyable to ride.

The most important thing is that you continue to enjoy riding.

I get what your saying about limited choice, Most off the shelf bikes don't have triples but (correct me if I'm wrong) most can be converted?! Although this would be an extra cost. could be something to consider if you have your eye on a particular bike.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply and offering the good advice you have to me.
Ajax Bay I will go off now and read the thread you have suggested and well spotted on my Orbea sale.
One of the reasons for that is not so much gearing as frame size. I will leave it for sale at the moment but I have recently managed to buy a bigger frame 56cm which if the bike doesn't sell I might use the parts from to build up my new frame.
If I do the frame will then be for sale, so watch this space.
I suppose this is all a part of trying to get the right bike for me. Sadly I even had a Roberts Tour built for me and for local riding its not a lot of fun. Prior to that I always gravitated to 54cm bikes but the Roberts is 55.5cm and feels more comfortable than the smaller size.
To support that I recently brought a 56cm frame off of one of our colleagues and that too feels comfortable. If I carry on like this I will soon be opening a bike shop with the parts I have got.

Top Bottom