Sorry me hole - fly tipping in rural Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I know a lot of us on here love the countryside we cycle in and detest litter and fly tipping, so please enjoy this van driver's scolding of somebody he found dumping a mattress by the road. An uncensored, unbleeped version is available and is even better but I'll let you seek that one out for yourselves.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why do people do that? Surely it's as easy to drive to the dump as it is to a remote ditch?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Fair play to him, fines will never be enough to discourage scum, you need to shame them, clean the streets for a year.
2hrs a day minimum

Moodyman

Legendary Member
...no excuse.

Some just take the easy option, hoping they'll not be caught.

Not condoning fly tipping, but many councils don't do themselves any favours.

Several councils around here make it so difficult to get rid of household waste, that dumping seems to be a viable alternative for many.

I once had a council employee tell me off for making three visits to the tip in one day with my hatchback. He said I should get a skip for large rubbish.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I once had a council employee tell me off for making three visits to the tip in one day with my hatchback. He said I should get a skip for large rubbish.
Jobsworths, dont mind them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's often a queue at the tip near me, but there is never a queue in the lane behind my house.

And as @Moodyman says, at the tip you might get questioned on what you are dumping and how often.

tom73

Guru
Just no need they need dealing with the cost to tax payer not to mention the environment is massive. It's just selfish plan and simple the same with driving up a county lane and throwing out litter from cars. A few week's ago on an early morning ride in the middle of the road un damaged and freshly placed still standing up was a McD 's Milkshake cup. Only one way that got in the road. I've even seen a mattress dumped a few feet up the road from tip. Our council have started crushing vans if the catch you but they are not very good at the catching and take too long to charge you so it's not working that well.

Councils don't help it's true often it's often not dealing head on with many local urban myths re what you can / can't dump. What vehicle you can use ,
if you need a permit to prove you're local before you can tip ect ,ect

Our's banned you walking in said it was unsafe the guy who lives next door to one of the tip sites is stuffed he doesn't own a car. He has to get a lift from others just to visit the tip. :wacko: They say it not safe but you park up and walk about with your rubbish and one is on the same site as public weight bridge and MOT station so it's use to people being about.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Watching this video only to have a discussion about your local tip is the most suburban fat dad thing ever. It's like looking at Michelangelo's David and talking about the range of chisels available at B&Q. The video is pure poetry, the uncensored version is a sublime thing of beauty and I urge you to seek it out, it's not just about the mattress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom