Sources of used bikes for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Try http://findthatbike.co.uk/ it only picks up searches from Ebay and Gumtree, but it's easier than searching those separately - you can specify counties and you can set search alerts too...
Thanks - will take a look :smile:

Sometimes though, listings come from people who just do a bit of wheeling & dealing - rubbish removal, house clearances etc. These sellers may not be cyclists themselves or especially knowlegable about bikes, and the vague listings can reflect this. Often this can work to the advantage of the buyer, if they know the value of what the seller is selling but the seller doesn't! It has certainly benefitted me more than once.
What I tend to do is look at the sellers other stuff for sale, and their feedback history, plus how long they have been on eBay. You can generally get a feel for sellers who are dodgy and are best avoided.
True, although my reference was to ads like this the raft from this seller on gumtree; not ebay. Looks shifty as fook to me - loads of bikes, no specific images or descriptions of any of them (or anything else that would allow its rightful owner to identify it). There are persistant rumours of gangs of thieves robbing bikes en-masse from Oxford, transporting them to Cambridge (or other cities) to sell and vice-versa. IMO this is just the kind of method I'd expect large-scale thieves to employ to fence their gear.

There's also a stretch of fence near me that's always got a range of bikes chained to it; advertised for sale at very low prices - again IMO there's a strong probability they're all nicked. It's pretty blatant and if the Polis gave a toss about this sort of crime I suspect it'd be pretty easy to investigate; but of course sod all ever gets done.

I totally agree about finding bargains in the way you describe on ebay though, and have had the odd one myself too :smile:

Have you offered your price and been refused? It is what I would be doing.
Nope. Can't be arsed tbh when what I'd be prepared to pay (rightly or wrongly) would be approaching half the price some of these muppets are asking; only going to result in conflict and waste my time IMO.

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks - will take a look :smile:

True, although my reference was to ads like this the raft from this seller on gumtree; not ebay. Looks shifty as fook to me - loads of bikes, no specific images or descriptions of any of them (or anything else that would allow its rightful owner to identify it). There are persistant rumours of gangs of thieves robbing bikes en-masse from Oxford, transporting them to Cambridge (or other cities) to sell and vice-versa. IMO this is just the kind of method I'd expect large-scale thieves to employ to fence their gear.

There's also a stretch of fence near me that's always got a range of bikes chained to it; advertised for sale at very low prices - again IMO there's a strong probability they're all nicked. It's pretty blatant and if the Polis gave a toss about this sort of crime I suspect it'd be pretty easy to investigate; but of course sod all ever gets done.

I totally agree about finding bargains in the way you describe on ebay though, and have had the odd one myself too :smile:

Nope. Can't be arsed tbh when what I'd be prepared to pay (rightly or wrongly) would be approaching half the price some of these muppets are asking; only going to result in conflict and waste my time IMO.

Right I see.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Surprised nobody's mentioned skips.

The quality of the product generally isn't that high, and they are often missing bits and/or need quite a bit of tinkering. Most of my skip salvages have been stripped down as parts donors rather than used as bikes. The only fully complete & functional skip bikes I've found have been Apollos - which half of the members on here would turn their noses up at anyway! I haven't yet pulled a nice 531 framed machine out of a skip, and believe me I never pass by one without checking for goodies inside.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have bought a couple of bikes (and a load of other things) through Facebook Marketplace - all good experiences. There are four CdFs on there at the moment.
Thanks - just had a look and the prices generally seem more realistic than ebay. Some nice looking examples too - the two that appeal the most being the old but evidently well-cared for and original 2011 model for £400 (would probably have a look if it was closer), and the 2017 ("2018") CdF 30 for £850. The 30 looks in nice nick but I'm somewhat put off by the older, partial 105 groupset and somewhat maligned non-series hydro shifters.. while crucially the frame IS-mount brake fitment rather than the flat-mount found on the current 30 and lacks the later models' through-axles.. but I digress :tongue:

Will keep an eye on FB anyway as it seems to be the most promising suggestion so far :smile:

The quality of the product generally isn't that high, and they are often missing bits and/or need quite a bit of tinkering. Most of my skip salvages have been stripped down as parts donors rather than used as bikes. The only fully complete & functional skip bikes I've found have been Apollos - which half of the members on here would turn their noses up at anyway! I haven't yet pulled a nice 531 framed machine out of a skip, and believe me I never pass by one without checking for goodies inside.
I'd be all over a skip find tbh, but never seem to see much. That said you might be interested in my most recent acquisition, once it's finished and I finally get a thread up (spioler - sorry it's not a 531-framed classic!) ;)

Last edited:

netman

Veteran
pity you cant specify distnace from postcode i live on the border of 3 counties

I just look in all three neighbouring counties and travel for anything I think worth it... now the shed and garage are full of projects and the only thing I can't buy is the time to fettle them!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I just look in all three neighbouring counties and travel for anything I think worth it... now the shed and garage are full of projects and the only thing I can't buy is the time to fettle them!
indeed it would just be easier to search rather than having to select different counties for one search

davidphilips

Veteran
Sometimes though, listings come from people who just do a bit of wheeling & dealing - rubbish removal, house clearances etc. These sellers may not be cyclists themselves or especially knowlegable about bikes, and the vague listings can reflect this. Often this can work to the advantage of the buyer, if they know the value of what the seller is selling but the seller doesn't! It has certainly benefitted me more than once.
What I tend to do is look at the sellers other stuff for sale, and their feedback history, plus how long they have been on eBay. You can generally get a feel for sellers who are dodgy and are best avoided.

Have found out to my cost a few times John just how right your advice is about sellers who are dodgy and are best avoided,

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Noticed for sale in Greenock a Raleigh Peugeot road bike.
Not interested in it myself but curious if such a thing exists. The picture has the bike clearly as Peugeot but described also as Raleigh. Described as not ridden for a few years but who made it?
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but where else?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Noticed for sale in Greenock a Raleigh Peugeot road bike.
Not interested in it myself but curious if such a thing exists. The picture has the bike clearly as Peugeot but described also as Raleigh. Described as not ridden for a few years but who made it?
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but where else?
Greenock has alarm bells ringing with me before you even got to the Raleigh Peugeot bit. I can say that now that @Bobby Mhor has become an east coaster and learned to say "ken" and "ayy" after every sentence. Ken, ayy...

Top Bottom