South Birmingham and Black Country Social Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
OK, who am I expecting?

Event details here.

Weather looking at bit dodgy before the start, but heading towards acceptable by the time we start.

Mender - thanks for the response. You can get to the start however you wish - I parked on Woodman Close the first time, but now cycle to the start point. However this is only 7 miles from home.

PM me your mobile number if you want to make sure that we don't start without you.

Downward

Guru
Yes Weather Dependent but I don't think I'll be up to the full distance as I am having a bit of Knee and Back pain. Whether it's because I am not using cleats I am not sure. I'll have to get my commuter bike into the shop to see if they can get the pedal off so I can put my SPD pedals on again.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Got very wet on the way home.

But nice ride. 2hrs 36 mins, 37.3 miles, 14.3 average (rolling, and from my house). Good speed, good company, and great views.

Where we the rest of you?

Downward

Guru
I need to get back slowly I reckon, I have though just sorted my pedals on my new commuter bike to SPD's so hope the knee pain will ease and I am going to try and build up slowly again.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Well the weather should be better next time, just need to get some base miles in keep the fitness going, we went round quite quick today 20 on the flat, did some gradual climbing over a few mile and some steep climbs. 1700 ft of climbing. I never feel up for it when I leave home, but after I feel good that I've done it. But st kenelms pass always nearly kills me! I could do with being 2 stone lighter.

I must address my biscuit addiction!!!!!

mender

Mrs Mender (karen) and I (Mark) went out for a run this morning...

..we only had an average of 12.2. The good news is we had to walk for half an hour (my crappy map reading :sad: ) of our 2.5 hour ride and think that our average would have been more like 16.0 had we not had to walk.

We're going to do the same run next week with "ommissions" to the route and if we come out at your average - we'll be joining you soon.

BTW today was our first proper road-bike ride for many years and we ache like b******s right now :smile: :smile: :smile:

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

When its just Paul and me, we tend to push it quite hard - he has to be back to cut the lawn, and I like to see how hard I can push him. So don't let our current pace scare you.

Sounds like you will be OK for our next ride.

Dates anyone? Might be free on July 16th for a short ride.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I will try to keep July 16 free, but Ma and Pa have just brought a caravan, so if I get an invitation to a BBQ I may have to wuss out again!

Seriously though, I would like to try to make it, and get a few training runs in before hand. I have a few short steep local hills, but non more than half a mile long that I can easily get to (Though with my current shift pattern I could get a few runs up to Barr Beacon in, from the Walsall sade)

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Oh dear...

Just did the 22 mile loop. Was my vision blurred or did I really see 27% climb up Uffmoor lane?

I really enjoyed the ride, but those climbs kill me! As you can see from garmin connect I did it in 1 hour 30, but with stops after hills to get my breath back it was a total ride time of 2 hours 14! In my defence, it was quite warm and I was keeping some back in reserve for later in the ride should I need it. I think I need a bit more of a warm up before tacklin Uffmoor Lane next time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96482848

Pleanty of bike out which was nice to see. If I saw any of you and you didnt get a nod then it was probably because I was huffing away uphill, screaming downhill or aurguing with my edge 705 about which side "left" was, because it sometimes thinks its on the right!

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

You did the route backwards.Which is the hard way!! Uffmoor Lane is a killer, so well done for completing that one. That climb never seems to give up, and just keeps chucking steeper and steeper slopes at you until you get to the top. Generally I avoid it.

Looking forward to seeing you at the next ride.

Top Bottom